Revell Republic Star Destroyer

Thanks for the comments guys, Nicholas I am still deciding on buying that shuttle bay or not. I got work done to it but I can still remove it.

Hope everybody is having a great weekend. I have half of the lower section completed as far as adding detail.

2015-08-02%2010.24.34_zpsgbjsavy6.jpg

Now onto the other half and ponder gutting this shuttle bay. Thanks for looking.

Nice work so far! It's always pleasing to see people do more than what comes in the box.
I built one of these a few years ago and went down the similar route of detailing - except when I did mine, none of those fancy engine nozzles or other such items were available back then so I had to make my own - but I enjoyed it.
Are you lighting this one up? You may have mentioned it prior, but I have forgotten it if you have. Looking forward to the next installment
MH

Madhatter said:
Nice work so far! It's always pleasing to see people do more than what comes in the box.
I built one of these a few years ago and went down the similar route of detailing - except when I did mine, none of those fancy engine nozzles or other such items were available back then so I had to make my own - but I enjoyed it.
Are you lighting this one up? You may have mentioned it prior, but I have forgotten it if you have. Looking forward to the next installment
MH

Thanks! Yes the plan is to light it. Wow this is crazy because the photos I saw of your build are what inspired me to try this!

What colour scheme are you going for? Republic or Imperial?
I have another one of these ships in the stash to have another go at it, but the next time round, I'm going to go for Imperial.
I know - Imperial grey is a bit boring, but it can be made to look really good with masked panels.
Stefan "Hacker" : http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=43984
and Daniel Beck: http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=43254
both did amazing jobs on their Venators - both in Imperial grey. Well worth a look to get ideas for paint schemes and what can be accomplished
MH

I'm gonna do imperial. I've thought about maybe leaving some panels in a faint red to kind of give it a look of being converted but rushed back out to the fleet half done look. Who knows. Those panel affects look great.

nicholassagan said:
Nice work!!! Glad you like the parts. FYI I just made a 3D hangar for this kit if you're interested. Screen accurate. http://shpws.me/J9nM

If you dig around on Shapeways there are also some really nice inserts for the engines that work well with my parts

Ordered that shuttlebay today.

Hope everybody is having a great weekend. A little side note here, I picked up the Hot Toys R2-D2 for my wife's birthday. She loves the guy:

2015-08-03%2020.47.37_zpsu1ixpctq.jpg

Other than awaiting the shuttlebay to arrive and cut the old one out, the bottom I am done with for now. I think it came out pretty good:

2015-08-09%2017.48.20_zpssc5jtxma.jpg

Needed that extra bit of Joe to push me to the end haha.

2015-08-09%2017.48.37_zpslgypve8t.jpg

Next I am gonna do the bridge/ tower area, then focus on the top half and the engines. I decided not to modify the trenches other than fiber holes. Thanks for looking everybody.

Looking good!!

Careful with the crane part on the hangar. Another buddy who ordered it said it's fragile. Also wash it with soap and a toothbrush before painting. You'll need to trim that existing edge detail for a snug fit, too.

nicholassagan said:
Looking good!!

Careful with the crane part on the hangar. Another buddy who ordered it said it's fragile. Also wash it with soap and a toothbrush before painting. You'll need to trim that existing edge detail for a snug fit, too.

Thanks for the heads up.

Madhatter said:
looks pretty good to me. What are you going to use for the bridge windows?
MH

Haven't decided yet. Right now I have holes drilled for fibers but the further I get in this I think I want to re-shape the windows and save the fibers for other parts of the ship. Then just put a few leds in the bridge.

Well I went for it. Started cutting open the bridge tower area and I am gonna do windows.

2015-08-19%2020.42.51_zpszxylbhrz.jpg

Also my shuttlebay arrived! This is going to look great and will be easier to light.

2015-08-20%2016.30.57_zpsv1nqhrcm.jpg

2015-08-20%2016.31.15_zpsyfulnlo7.jpg

Now its time to do some hacking.

That bay looks sweet. 3D printed parts are an awesome source for model parts and upgrades.

Gutted out the old bay:

2015-08-22%2011.26.46_zpszkibycb0.jpg

Epoxied in the new one:

2015-08-22%2011.32.13_zpsgvdwemko.jpg

Could not wait so I primed it, looks great I think:

2015-09-06%2011.02.02_zpsv5jvowdn.jpg

2015-09-06%2011.02.16_zpsxptiaubx.jpg

2015-09-06%2011.02.34_zpsgqnlmatp.jpg

2015-09-06%2011.02.40_zpsrrla3k1m.jpg

Still working on the tower, I found some photo etch that mimics the windows pretty good. Also working on the top part, adding in the little bits. I think I will modify the engines last then do a hole for the stand before I start putting lights in. I think I will depict it banking.

Thanks for looking as always.

I always love that first coat of primer look! That is coming out looking awesome!

Latest posts

Back