Revell P47 Thunderbolt 1/48

Maverick

I just completed my second model. Let me know what you guys think.
xk2m.jpg

zgqn.jpg

2dk3.jpg

Thanks! Yea I'm pretty happy with it. Just one more minor detail...I want to add the cable that runs from the antennae behind the canopy up to the top of the tail. How would you guys go about this? I was thinking of using black thread I guess...but I dont want to use glue as it will be hard to hide. Is there a better way to do it?

Nice Thunderbolt.

For the antenna you could use a fine steel wire, I sometimes use nylon fishing line or a fly tying line. All three can be attached with small drops of CA. The saggy nylon can be brought tawt with careful application of heat - I hope this helps.

Very nice build, luv the shading and nice weathering....I always liked using fine copper wire painted with a pen and then drilling holes to anchor the wire to..Hope it helps....Looking forward to seeing #3..:)

eightfooticeman said:
2nd model, WOW! Outstanding build my friend. :eek:

Thanks! Yup, my second. My first was a 1/48 B-17...the Memphis Belle. It was ok...before I could weather properly.

Great build! This is one of my favorite kits, it holds up well, and your weathering job really does it justice!

As for the aerial, when I built one a couple of years ago, I used stretched sprue. I also use invisible thread, the very fine nylon thread. You could use fine wire, or fishing line.

I like using sprue in this application, since I'm bonding styrene to styrene.

For the P-47, I also added the attachment point at the top of the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer. On the 1:1 subject, there is a small flange mounted there, with a hole to accept the hook at the one end of the aerial. The aerial also had a small spring, to allow for some stretching, but I didn't reproduce that. I used a small drill bit chucked into a pin vise to drill a hole in the stab, then glued a piece of sprue filed flat in that hole. Then I stretched some clear sprue, and cut a piece to length to fit between the flange on the stabilizer and the radio mast. It was just a matter of using the same glue I used to assemble the model, to attach the aerial. I glued the sprue first to the flange, let the glue set overnight, then attached the other end to the mast the next day. I chose clear sprue, because it looked like wire, without having to paint it.

I look forward to seeing your next project!

the Baron said:
Great build! This is one of my favorite kits, it holds up well, and your weathering job really does it justice!

As for the aerial, when I built one a couple of years ago, I used stretched sprue. I also use invisible thread, the very fine nylon thread. You could use fine wire, or fishing line.

I like using sprue in this application, since I'm bonding styrene to styrene.

For the P-47, I also added the attachment point at the top of the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer. On the 1:1 subject, there is a small flange mounted there, with a hole to accept the hook at the one end of the aerial. The aerial also had a small spring, to allow for some stretching, but I didn't reproduce that. I used a small drill bit chucked into a pin vise to drill a hole in the stab, then glued a piece of sprue filed flat in that hole. Then I stretched some clear sprue, and cut a piece to length to fit between the flange on the stabilizer and the radio mast. It was just a matter of using the same glue I used to assemble the model, to attach the aerial. I glued the sprue first to the flange, let the glue set overnight, then attached the other end to the mast the next day. I chose clear sprue, because it looked like wire, without having to paint it.

I look forward to seeing your next project!

Wow great info! Thanks Baron.

Latest posts

Back