Revell/Monogram Cylon Raider

CheesyGrin said:
Splashcoat - thanks! Feel free to take the thruster concept and improve. Sketchup is free and the design file I have is 1:1 scale so I can send you the file if you'd like.

Whatever you do - I hope you share it with the group! ;)
Thanks, CheesyGrin. I enjoy this forum for just that reason, people share their ideas and enthusiasm and give credit where credit is due.

Keep up the great work on the Raider

Final airbrush pass on the bottom is complete. Sorry for the picture's shifting exposure. My light source is variable and unpredictable:

Slide4b_zps12fe3b7b.jpg

Here's a progression of primer, preshade, panel fill-in, and final color pass:

Paint_collage_zps0cef75bb.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll paint the top, (hopefully) start on the markings, and do some tonal highlights and shadows. Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

I finished the top today. I couldn't paint much longer - it's just cold enough (in my garage) that my hands go numb after a couple of hours. :( I think I need a spray booth. Anyway -

Same process as the bottom, but the pictures are better. So far, I'm pleased with the first paint pass. Next comes clear coat in preparation for the detail work and weathering.

Filling in panel centers:

DSCF5108_zpsf6c7150b.jpg

Final look after thin top coats:

DSCF5120_zps02ed3056.jpg

DSCF5123_zps9194e950.jpg

Merry Christmas!

First, thank you for the kind feedback. I'm posting a quick shout-out to my awesome wife who gave me this stellar gift this morning!!!

IMAG0031_zps41fa477a.jpg

It's very timely since I'm starting the detail paint work this week. Here's a boring picture just to show I am making slow-n-steady progress:

IMAG0032_zps48f19c09.jpg

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

The air brushing and paint work on the raider is wonderful! I really admire the pershading work it has added great depth and detailing.

The air brushing and paint work on the raider is wonderful! I really admire the pershading work it has added great depth and detailing.

Thanks, Clonegurl! Preshading was a safer bet than a full color modulation. And it does a great job of adding depth and volume... :D

Quick update. After lots of masking and a little airbrushing:

DSCF5192_zps9801d341.jpg

DSCF5195_zpsbd591305.jpg

DSCF5196_zps87a6a600.jpg

Tomorrow is a day off from work. I may have time to get the markings airbrushed. If so, I'll post an update for sure.

Happy New Year!

That ship is looking tight, and deadly serious!
I am anxiously awaiting the final unveil!!!!
;D ;D ;D

Ravhin and ModelMakerMike - Thanks for the feedback!

I made progress today. What a way to start the new year! Markings are airbrushed:

DSCF5203_zps5657a5d0.jpg

DSCF5204_zps35dbd8db.jpg

DSCF5202_zps70d0cf7d.jpg

I rushed to get the most out of my day off. Now I'm stressed and have a headache. This is supposed to be fun and relaxing. :-\ No worries, though - I'm stoked about the progress...

Well, the good news: progress was made. I finished all airbrushing this weekend. Al that remains is oils/weathering.

The bad news (sort of): I added panel-by-panel highlights creating a cool mottling effect. This did a great job breaking up the monotone gray finish pervasive on this build. Unfortunately, I was too subtle. It looked perfect BEFORE I sprayed the clear coat! The Future I sprayed obliterated 90% of the effect. Live and learn. :'(

So, I'll try to repair during the weathering stage. I've never used oils so some experimenting is on order. Please offer words of wisdom and suggestions as I ponder next steps....

Here are some pics, though, prior to clear coat. The next post will be the final build pics. Hopefully I can post this weekend and call this one "Done". ;D

DSCF5216_zpsb8e0d656.jpg

DSCF5213_zps8f88e503.jpg

DSCF5211_zps9ffb9041.jpg

DSCF5224_zps77573702.jpg

DSCF5222_zps80c6dfa5.jpg

Latest posts

Back