Revell / Monogram 1/48 Scale B-29 Superfortress Review

My son was drooling over this kit Thursday night at Hobby Lobby. We had actually seen "FiFi" flying around AZ the previous weekend so it was fresh in his mind. I never built this one as a kid. :'(

Excellent review.
Looks pretty big

Nice bit with the instructions being available in pdf.

Looking forward to seeing the build progress

excelent, i have two of these!

the Revell B-29 superfortress, buy what i understand, still has rased panel lines, i believe both the B-29s in my possession have raised panel lines.

when they say dark green they probably mean Olive Drab, or they may mean Chromate green.

Yes this model is the 1977 molds, with raised panel lines. The instructions say to use dark green, but I used chromate green instead. Still working on the interior, I need to fine some color photos for more interior details.

Chromate green was a very common interior color of the erra, thats what i would go with too, there are tons if interrior parts to paint, i can remember going through quite a bit of paint making my B-29, cant wait to see what you come up with XD

Doesn't really matter if it is the '77 molds or the 2011 molds, the kit hasn't changed any in 30+ years. Still has raised panel lines even today with ones being produced. Actually just sold one here at the shop a couple of weeks back, and had a look at it...as old as those molds are, there is still very little flash on the sprues.

Also the only game in town for a 1/48 B29.

13aceofspades13 said:
Chromate green was a very common interior color of the erra, thats what i would go with too, there are tons if interrior parts to paint, i can remember going through quite a bit of paint making my B-29, cant wait to see what you come up with XD

Chromate green was more than just a color. It is an extremely durable and thick primer that etches itself into the metal. Some of the oldest aircraft I worked on rolled off the production line in '68. The chromite was painted onto the entire interior of the aircraft. Most all of it is covered by paneling and fire blankets now or covered over with white paint in the gear bays.

So durable in fact was some of the older paint that when the older "A" models went to Kelly AFB in Texas and had their euro theater camo paint stripped off you could still see the old white/grey as well as markings from the days of old. Now everything is midnight blue or some such color and the markings are all big ass stickers......

Sorry to take this thread off topic...... I am tempted to dig mine out but I would have nowhere at all to display the beast.

I BUIT ATLEAST 3 OF THOSE KITS IN MY LIFETIME AMD THE ATOMIC BOMBS ARE FOR THE WW2 VERSION AND THOSE ROUND DISCS ARE FOR THE ENOLA GAY BUT THE STOP MAKING THE INS ;D ;DTRUCTIONS FOR THAT VERSION YEARS AGO ( MAYBE IN THE MID TO LATE 80'S HAVE FUN WITH THE BUID

Update time.

Working on the interior.
DSCF0188.jpg

Trying to get My painting skills back.
DSCF0192.jpg
Seat on the right is the wrong color. have to fix that

Flight Deck
DSCF0194.jpg

Top view
DSCF0197.jpg

Need to do some touch up on a lot of the parts. Also need to figure out the post system when including photos. Any help would be great. Thanks guys

I think I have the photo problem under control now.

Greg

Texaslobo said:
Need to do some touch up on a lot of the parts. Also need to figure out the post system when including photos. Any help would be great.

Greg

I use Photobucket to store my photos, and grab the tags ("img") to link the pictures into web forum posts from there. It looks like that's what you have, at first glance.

the Baron said:
Texaslobo said:
Need to do some touch up on a lot of the parts. Also need to figure out the post system when including photos. Any help would be great.

Greg

I use Photobucket to store my photos, and grab the tags ("img") to link the pictures into web forum posts from there. It looks like that's what you have, at first glance.

I will have to try that. All I did was attach the photos, then copy the image location. Then I edit, and add the image. Then remove the link after I post the change. The problem is they are so large. I would like to have them fit the page.

Latest posts

Back