Revell - Maquis Fighter

Thanks gents.

@spud, I was trying not to take off too much, so perhaps the problem was that I didn't use enough water. The paper must've been too dry and coarse and I was too rough with it, resulting in the chipping.

Still, would've hoped the gloss paint would be stronger.

Waiting for the matt coat to dry now. Can't wait. Got to make a start on the stand!

Looks superb, Igard! I think that it is the best amount of dirt this ship deserves.
And You did great turning the areas of wash condensation into streaks. They look really, really good.
On the small chiped spots left - don't worry about them at all, they look absolutely realistic to, besides I actually managed to find on the pics only one or two.
Thumbs up!

Cheers, spud.

Solander said:
And You did great turning the areas of wash condensation into streaks. They look really, really good.

Thanks Sol.

Those areas of condensation/concentration/pooling actually vanished when I wiped them off. I used some black dust to make the streaks.

I actually ignored all the techniques I researched and went with my own method. I sprinkled or placed the dust where I wanted it, then I got a small piece of paper towel, folded a couple of times and put in my reverse action tweezers ro make a brush of sorts.

It took a few goes to get it right each time, but was lots of fun.

Yes, it looks really good. Nice and dirty and well used!
I like how the underside has a blue cast to it, or was that just the lighting?
;D

Thanks Q and Mike.

Mike, the last 3 pics (of the underside) were taken during the day in the sunlight and the top ones were taken the night before, under standard lamp light. :)

Very, very nice Igard! Great coloration, effective weathering, great details, a really superb build! ;D

First up - great stuff igard , its really cool to see someone make this kit not a popular choice but It does make a nice model ;D

Igard said:
@spud, I was trying not to take off too much, so perhaps the problem was that I didn't use enough water. The paper must've been too dry and coarse and I was too rough with it, resulting in the chipping.

Still, would've hoped the gloss paint would be stronger.

you using promodeller's wash? Your gloss coat didnt look too glossy, if the surface hasnt got a good sheen to it the wash will penetrate into the paint grain and stain it which is what might have happened to you. Continuous rubbing will strip the paint. Get your gloss coat nice n shiny, let it cure overnight then apply the wash and let it completely dry. It will pool up in places, that is normal.

It is supposed to remove extremely easily with light wipes with a paper towell and a small drop of water. Mr. Flory is often seen just dabbing a towell with a bit of spit in the videos. Its all in the gloss coat. HTH.

what was you using as a gloss coat?

Thankyou Papa Smurf and JediPuju! :)

Jedi, yes promodeller's wash. Loved it. So easy.

I used Model Master Lacquer overcoat, this stuff :-

http://www.modelcars.com/model-master-military-enamel-clear-gloss-finish-spray.html

Perhaps I didn't apply it properly? I just sprayed it on. Used more than half the can! I let it dry for 24 hours exactly. There was evidence of it pooling in places. Looking back at the photos, they don't really portray how glossy it looked. It was pretty shiny.

As for the wash penetrating the paint, I don't think it did. I had a couple of spots where I had to clean it off, and it came off quite nicely. Then I re-applied no problems.

The corners on the top of the model, these ones.....

2011-09-27_23-58-01_652.jpg

.... Just came off in about 1 wipe. It makes sense that in these areas, the gloss coat would be thinnest. Perhaps a second coat would have been prudent here.

Thanks for reading. Lots to consider here.

The model is now finished guys, I'll have final pics up shortly. 8)

The stand is a simple acrylic riser 100x100x100mm. Cut and sanded at an angle. Rubber pads added. Decals applied.

2011-10-01_16-28-08_567.jpg

2011-10-01_16-28-43_974.jpg

2011-10-01_16-29-27_38.jpg

2011-10-01_16-30-10_274.jpg

2011-10-01_16-30-33_696.jpg

2011-10-01_16-31-00_757.jpg

2011-10-01_16-34-10_354.jpg

Chakotay and Tuvok are barely visible.

2011-10-01_16-35-43_630.jpg

2011-10-01_16-36-43_904.jpg

2011-10-01_16-39-51_306.jpg

I hope everyone enjoyed this work in progress. It was alot of work for me, but getting to the end of it feels great!

Thanks to everyone who helped with opinions and tips. This community really pulled through for me here when I was in need. You guys are awesome! 8)

Next up, I'll be doing a WIP build of the AMT Klingon Vor'cha cruiser. ;D

Igard!
That is terrific!
And I want to thank you for sharing the adventure with us all. :)
It's kewl to see something develop.
I need to do that and work more on my models. NEED to finish the REPUBLIC, and D-7, and get those both off my back!
;D

Thanks Mike, Grendels and Quaralane. ;D

Mike, it was my pleasure. I got alot of great feedback out of doing this. I'd recommend any newcomer to this hobby to do the same and I'll be here to help them when they're in need.

I'm going to try and not ask so many questions in the future and I'm going to refrain from calling myself a 'Noob'. There isn't really much else that I want to try, so I feel like I'm reaching the level that I sought out to be when I first started. A bit more to go yet, but I'm almost there. :)

Latest posts

Back