Revell 1/63 B-25B "Doolittle Raider"

Bzzymatt

Stayin Bzzy :P
Hello everyone!!
Thought I'd take this opportunity to start off the end of my first semester of college with a model project!! This project however is not going to be short and sweet because when it comes to details, I will surely correct any flaws. Out of all the projects I have yet to complete, this project was in the final planning phases. The B-25B by Revell in 1/63 scale is a kit in which there are not many reviews, mainly because of its odd scale and small quantity produced by the manufacturer. The other kick with this kit is the quality of the parts I can relate to Revell's P-40B. The parts are in some cases an o.k. fit and the rivet details are slightly larger than they should be. The rivet details also stick out further than I would want them to, but no worries! A little sanding and drilling will fix that ;D To help with the errors in detail, I brought out one of my all time favorite kits in my stash in which I refuse to build until I get my hands on a second one; mainly because of the rareness of the kit. It's a 1/48 Accurate Miniatures B-25B "Doolittle Raider" This kit is so well detailed that there really is no need for aftermarket products with this beauty (even though there are still aftermarket items :p ) but this kit will help explain what flaws are with the Revell kit.

IMG_2537_zpscc85a015.jpg

The first few flaws are simple to notice in the photos provided. There are windows not properly drilled out (so clear parts will have to be made from scratch, the top window that sits behind the cockpit on top of the fuselage is round on the Revell kit, but will have to be cut out into a square, all rivets will be removed and drilled back into the plastic because I have to add panel lines that were missed completely by Revell. The big details I will have to work on with this kit will be the cockpit, wheel wells and I am possibly considering adding a bomb bay. I will have to determine that later as the scratch building progresses.

IMG_2540_zps5cdef304.jpg

For now, I'm going to start scratch building a brand new cockpit for this aircraft and will make progress when I can. I'm not expecting to have this done quick, however it would be awesome if it could be finished by April for an IPMS competition. Like I said though I want to perfect this plane, so if I have to spend more time on it past April, no big deal.

IMG_2543_zps38164721.jpg

Hope to update you guys again soon!!

-Matt

I think that B-25 is a very old kit, going back to the late 50s or early 60s. It's a box scale--that is, the model was engineered to fit in a standard-size box, with so many individual boxes in a standard box for shipping. That was common in the early days of plastic models. I like that you see it as an opportunity to exercise your skills. I'm a fan of Revell and Monogram, from my childhood, and I like to build those kits today. I'll follow this with interest.

Latest posts

Back