Revell 1:48 F/A-18 Super Hornet build... My noob adventures

I think you just gotta get stuck in with the sanding. When stuff like that happens to me I start with rough grit papers (down to 240 with really dried on CA glue) and work it out to about 800 grit, then the primer will cover the micro scratches. Good luck, everything else is looking great.

Okay, Adam and Myke, I guess I just have to attack it with my sanding supplies. I wanted to avoid it but I'm being lazy. :)

Thank you, both. I will go for it today after breakfast.

-Glenn

The build is nearly complete. I only have to attach the AMRAAM missiles, including their umbilicals and rails. Then, all the gluing is done. I will spray some Future on the model and then decal it.

Incidentally, when you spray a coat like Future, how do you get the top and bottom? Spray one side, let it dry, then flip it and do the other?

I'm about 80% satisfied. It's my first model in many years and I learned a lot of techniques as I went along. Some seams look great and others have too much glue. You'll see. Here's some pics:

Photo%25208.jpg

Photo%25207.jpg

Photo%25206.jpg

Photo%25205.jpg

Photo%25204.jpg

Photo%25203.jpg

Photo%25202.jpg

So, there she is. Warts and all. I actually have the same kit on order and on its way soon, I think. So, I will get a chance to redo it and, hopefully, make way less mistakes.

Looking very menacing sitting there in those front shots.

Yes it's easiest to spray a coat on the top, let it dry, then hit the bottom. Might have to add a couple of thin coats to get it nice and glossy. Good luck.

Thanks for the compliments, Myke and Quaralane.

I got some Future on it the other night. I used a regular brush per advice at Swanny's Models. By only handling it with a finger in the afterburners and on the front landing gear, I was able to get top and bottom done in the same night. I have let it cure for a few days. But, as I predicted, last night was taken up with getting kids' homework done and putting graphite on the Derby car's axles and hubs and spinning, spinning, spinning those wheels. Tonight is race night. I might try to spray a light coat of Future today so it's cured by tomorrow. Tomorrow night I should be able to start laying down some decals. :) This is one of my favorite things to do on models. Decals bring the model to life! Pics will follow.

I bought a P-38 lighting last night at Hobby Lobby. I'm getting a little stash going! Uh oh!

Ha! Actually, I did use one, but they applied it to my daughter's model car at it was more expensive. (She wanted to try a glue model, so I had to say yes.)

The P-38 was under $20. :)

Good job! I'm always in awe of guys who build jets... the build has to be super clean, no seams,
gaps, smudges, alignments, dihedral, etc. I'm too sloopy to be that neat. Congrats!

Thanks, Panzerman. My build is not THAT clean, but it's decent, I think. It's almost done now. I got the decals on and it's now drying with a coat of Future. I will try to do some weathering/panel lines tomorrow, then put a coat of matte varnish on it to seal the deal.

I'll try to post some pics tonight of the work so far. Thanks for all the support, friends!

adampolo13 said:
Hey glennonrp how those decals coming out? You got pics yet, of this or the A-10?

The build is done. ;D I got a final coat of matt varnish on her and called it a wrapped build.

For the most part, I'm happy with it. In a way, it's the best model I've ever built. But, I screwed up some things, too. I didn't learn until halfway through to use the Touch and Flow and plastic cement correctly. Once I did, my seams got way better. And, given that this is the first time I ever airbrushed anything, I think it came out okay. I will still need to learn to deal with seam lines better.

My decals came out pretty good, I think. My weathering and panel lines are pretty much useless. I might try oils next time. Or, maybe I need to watch some more videos on how to wash for panel lines. I used charcoal in a water/alcohol mix. It got in there but I kept wiping it out when I was cleaning the excess off. And, I have to learn to be more gentle with the paint job because I obliterated my preshading.

Anyway, I think it looks okay. Maybe after some time, I will be able to make models as beautiful as some of the builds I see on here. For now, I will settle with enjoying myself and learning. Thanks for all the support and advice along the way. Here's some pics:

She looks really good from far away...
final%2520hornet%2520pics%25201.jpg

final%2520hornet%2520pics%25202.jpg

final%2520hornet%2520pics%25203.jpg

But, there's still some mistakes visible.
final%2520hornet%2520pics%25204.jpg

final%2520hornet%2520pics%25205.jpg

final%2520hornet%2520pics%25206.jpg

final%2520hornet%2520pics%25207.jpg

final%2520hornet%2520pics%25208.jpg

final%2520hornet%2520pics%25209.jpg

The panel lines are visible but my attempts at preshading or washing at the end were really to no avail.final%2520hornet%2520pics%252010.jpg
final%2520hornet%2520pics%252011.jpg

Thanks for looking! I am already starting my next build... An A-10 Warthog!

Glenn

Don't be to hard on yourself Glenn, that's a great looking build mate!
Congratulations on completion of a fantastic kit!

Hey Gleenonrp, if you don't mind I do have one small suggestion for you.

Here it is....

Take that plane and put it in the middle of your home where everyone can see it! Display that bad boy proudly! It looks great!

Beautiful Hornet! You have to be proud of how well it turned out.
The only thing missing is a carrier deck, some jamming rock music, and the sound
of a catapult launch!!! Thanks for sharing.

Myke, Adam, Panzerman:
Thanks for the kind words. Truly, I like my plane, really. I just have been so inspired and awed by some of the builds I've seen here that I want to do better is all. I learned so much while building this and I'm still learning. Mostly, I had a great time and I'm excited to be building my new model. I already think it's better than my last! Thanks for all the support!!!

Hey glennonrp,

Since you are just starting on your 2nd build and I'm just about to wrap it up, we should start a "newbe" group build. What do you think?

Latest posts

Back