Recon Battle Droid...Maybe

Junkie

Happy New Year.

In an attempt to get one last build in before 2011 I thought I'd just freestyle a Battle Droid. I'm thinking of calling it a Recon Battle Droid.

The rocket pack is from the STAP, other bits from an Xwing and the spares box. I need a good rifle though...if you have the resin aftermarket rifle for this kit and want to sell it...pm me.

I'm open to crits and also suggestions for color scheme, base/terrain ideas etc...

I do want to keep this in the Star Wars Universe and not go towards a camo scheme/earth spin design.

100_0650.JPG

100_0652.JPG

100_0653.JPG

100_0654.JPG

100_0655.JPG

Thanks - Scott

Very nice! What is that little blue "doughnut" around his neck? I'm assuming that's what you used to articulate the head.

Great work.

Thanks all. Gonna try scratch building a sniper rifle today.

The blue donut is just bluetack to hold the head in place for now, until I paint it. I added a brass pin there to hold it together. I also pinned the elbow, shoulder and finger joints and removed the right foot to articulate that angkle a bit.

Looks cool! I liked how the STAP made into a jetpack - looks just like it was always there))

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks all. Gonna try scratch building a sniper rifle today.

The blue donut is just bluetack to hold the head in place for now, until I paint it. I added a brass pin there to hold it together. I also pinned the elbow, shoulder and finger joints and removed the right foot to articulate that angkle a bit.

Nice, I like the pose.
Here's a look at a sniper rifle I made from a 1/6 scale MG42...
jk_092707_scouttrooper3.jpg
I just cut it in half and made the barrel longer. It looks close enough for me.

Looking forward to seeing the progress with this one.

I thought so too Solander..originally I tried to make a Rocket Battle Droid but that failed. If you google it you'll see that variant has a hat and a lamp etc...I had the hat made with a spoon and the led and all, but it cracked while gluing. I garbaged it.

SO instead of that I thought I'd just freestyle. This is a great kit to modify. I not a huge fan of the Clone Wars but I kinda like the design of these things. 1/6 scale is awesome.

I like your rifle Slashcoat. That fits the scouts for sure.

I'm gonna try to make this one:
1272178215.jpg

Also, for paint...any ideas? I was thinking blue over normal beige. I know that's the pilot battle droid colors - but he does have a jetpack. All black would make sense for a recon division, but that's not fun to weather. Someone as SSM suggested green. Maybe.

Also, for a base. I'm gonna make a simple one but I will put a few hours into it. Whatcha think - organic (grass, mud, etc...) or futuristic industrial.

Norm you might know...on what planets did these things fight? I could wookiepedia it myself i guess. lol.

For the color, it would already look great if you find the right tone of beige.
You have a point, it's a sniper, so it wouldn't make sense, but who cares ;) (look at the empire scout troopers)

For colors ! Depending which Army they are from?

Use this sketch to Color your B1 Droid! I am sure your Son has a few Color pencils laying around?
http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/img/20080411_bg.jpg

The weapon you have shown is right on?

As for battles? Or planets? Too many to list here! With the CG Serie they have been everywhere!

We saw them in Beige, Red Oxide, and bearing various chest Color Dots and shoulder marking to indicate
What were their jobs! Also depending for which Army they were from!

As far as Having Fun with the subject! Have fun! I dont mind a Side track! It's Star Wars after all!

Norm.

Scott Girvan said:
I do want to keep this in the Star Wars Universe and not go towards a camo scheme/earth spin design.

Why not, you wouldn't be the first, I think they look cool in camo.

;D

*check the dude on the far left

sampleoom-b1.jpg

I say give it a camo job. It would make sense for a recon droid, and it would look good, give you lots of room to weather away.....

Started to paint this puppy. First black primer, then Krylon Silver...so I can scrape the topcoat to get some chips.

Here's the color I mixed for the beige. IT SUCKS. This is a hard color for me to get. Any tips? using Tamiya Acrylic. Not happy with this color at all.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Well, I think it looks pretty close...

I think you should also keep in mind that it will get quite a bit darker as you weather it, especially if you do an oil wash like what you were doing in your video. Look at that interior green before you added it and then again after, how much darker overall did the color get?

Of course this is just my thoughts and not really what you asked.

;D

Thanks Ken,. I guess it is close, just a bit dark to begin with. Once I hit it with oils it might be too dark. Did some Googling and someone used Testors Sand. I'm gonna see if I have some.

I'm a bit color blind and always freak when I get to this stage. I think I'll stop sweating the small stuff and get this done before 2011!

Oh you think it's already dark.

Here I was thinking it was on the light side. :p

Ok so if you think it's a bit dark, take that same paint and mix a bit of buff in it (or white but be very careful, white isn't usually the best choice to lighten with as it can be hard to control).

Then just mist it about, maybe lighten some of the panels centers with it or something.

I ended up hitting it with some Tamiya Deck Tan. That did the trick. See attached.

Now I have to mask off some panels and then shade them a bit. Hopefully feathering it a bit like this:

652791.jpg

To my eye it's like a very light brown with a tinge of yellow. This thing has a bit of a gloss finish too. I'm using flat paint but hopefully a bit of future at the end will give it that robot sheen.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latest posts

Back