Recon Battle Droid...Maybe

Great work Scott! the color of your droid looks pretty spot on to me. im trying to a finish a build before the new year too!

Thank you both. Yeah, color. It always gets me. Hard to believe I do graphic design for a living. Paint can be so different though. I have a hard time getting the right mix.

I had primered this with black and then a coat of silver. I was hoping to be able to simply scratch off the topcoat to reveal the silver, as per scratches. When I try it it's going right down the the black pretty much.

Now that I know deck tan is the color I might just hit it with silver again and do some salt chipping. In this large scale I think it might look good. Not sure yet. Another couple of sprays won't take long and keeping it thin, won't loose any detail.

Do your silver, let it dry, and then hit it with some hair spray. Let it dry, do your top coat, let it dry.

Then where you want to do chipping, just wet the area with water and let it soak for a min. or so...take a sharpened tooth pick and chip away.

You can coat all over with the hairspray or just put it in the areas you want to chip, looks very convincing if done right, you even get a slight 3D effect as the chip is actually the absence of the paint, instead of painting a chip on over the top coat. Check out some of Jon Hayward's vids on chipping....makes it look easy.

Scott Girvan said:
Started to paint this puppy. First black primer, then Krylon Silver...so I can scrape the topcoat to get some chips.

Here's the color I mixed for the beige. IT SUCKS. This is a hard color for me to get. Any tips? using Tamiya Acrylic. Not happy with this color at all.

A friend of mine painted his BD with Humbrol Radome Tan (#148) and, to my eye, it looks dead on.
http://scale-models.nl/cc-humbrol.html

I hate airbrushing enamels so I found some acryic equivalents:

Vallejo Radome Tan (VAL 074)
http://scale-models.nl/cc-vallejo.html

Tamiya Buff (XF-57) - probably needs to be lightened with a bit of flat white.
http://scale-models.nl/cc-tamiya.html

I love the look of this droid so far - great work.

Thanks for the color. I am using a combo of Deck Tan and Buff.

I ended up scratch building a sniper rifle of sorts. This will do.

rifle01.jpg

rifle02.jpg

I experimented with paint and salt chipping. First a coat of silver from a rattle can, then flat varnish, then a few color with the airbrush. It has a coat of future on it now. Gonna add a few decals to this jet pack. Color in photos is a lot darker than in reality.

jet01.jpg

jet02.jpg

Thanks again for the comments and Happy New Year.

Looks like this will not be done in 2010. Happy New Year everyone and thank you very much for making 2010 a great year of model building!

The rifle is Wicked! My god! I better watch out! If you ever take on Scout remodelling!

Best wishes for the new year Scott!

Your project will shine.

Norm.

Thanks all. I appreciate it. Took an entire day to make that rifle. Nuts. Could still use a bit of touch ups, the black paint helps hide some pits and flaws.

Anyhow, time for bed. Happy New Year to you!

Thanks Splashcoat.

A bit of an update for today. Have the paint on the head and paint chipping via hairspray method. I'm liking this way better than salt as it allows me to really pick and choose the chipping.

Have the body in silver again and some masking on areas I want to remain silver.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Scott, let me start by wishing you a Happy New Year! This build is coming along nicely. As always you're thinking outside the box.

I have one small question (you're really far along on this, so it probably won't matter) but are you set on the pose? I just thought you've done an excellent job on the rocket pack, why not play it up by having the battle droid hovering over the base? Kind of like it's landing or avoiding a blaster shot (like I said its probably too late for a suggestion like this, so ignore me ;)).

Great work, keep at it.

Thanks. Yes Weezer the pose is CAed in place. Your idea is a better one than mine. That would have been really cool. Wish I would have thought of it sooner. Cold have added lights to the jet pack too....next time.

I've been weathering this puppy. Paint chips via hairspray, oil washes and pro model washes, a bit of steel wool and and flat coat. I might add a few pigments but for the most part it's done.

Now on to the base.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latest posts

Back