Ratrod Marathon Build

lawl...

Tonight I managed to first basecoat the body then post shade the panels.

4238.jpg

4239.jpg

Then I worked on the interior. Still more left to do including decals, pigments, AK 'stuff' and a few touch ups. In keeping with the X-Wing theme, the shifter is Luke's light saber from A New Hope, I chopped the steering wheel ala Tie Fighter and then colored some of the buttons and such like the cockpit of his ship.

Apparently it's hard to pull focus tonight. ::)

4240.jpg

4241.jpg

4242.jpg

4243.jpg

4244.jpg

4245.jpg

That's it for tonight....I think.

That body is looking Saweeet !!! And the interior is just mental ;D ;D. Love where this is going ,nice work Scott.

Chris.

Thanks guys. I'm working on pigments, trying to really get the hang of it. First I'll put down an AK wash/effect of some sort...light rust, track wash etc... then I sprinkle pigments onto that. Once it sets up a bit I seem to be able to stab into the pigments a bit. Too much and it all bleeds together, too little and you're left with a 'grains of sand' look.

I've been over this several times, rust and dust pigments and effects. Also trying out Vallejo rust washes. Pretty nice stuff. Drys fast though.

Anyhow...feel free to offer any tips to help make this pop a bit more. I find it's ok, but still kinda flat (although in person it looks better than the pics - aint that always the way, lol)

4246.jpg

4247.jpg

Scott Girvan said:
Anyhow...feel free to offer any tips to help make this pop a bit more. I find it's ok, but still kinda flat (although in person it looks better than the pics - aint that always the way, lol)

IMO You should paint that dash pad (top area and gauge cluster wrap around) to match the door panels as it would be a padded 'pleather' and not rusted. The metal skeleton of a dash is deeper inside and looks more like a...well...skeleton.

Add some pin washes around those details to help them 'pop' maybe try to vary the rust color a little more, it looks a bit uniform over the entire surface.

or not 8)

Ha ha that steering wheel looks like mine did on my go kart after flipping it coming out of turn four on the high banks in Barnsville, Georgia about ten years ago ha ha ha ha. Good stuff Scott looking super my friend. Wish I had half the ability to make a scale model car look like that. Keep up the good work man.

Thanks dudes. Yeah, it's getting beat up, for sure.

Last night, and a bit this morning was all about body rust. I think I'll add another layer but here's where it stands.
I followed Todds magazine article pretty much step by step. Basecoat, salt, paint, hairspray, paint, satin, hairspray, paint, flat.

4248.jpg

4249.jpg

4250.jpg

4251.jpg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Looking sweet there Scott!! This layers are startign to show now!!! Keep building them up!! The colors are great my friend!!! Making me wanna dig out the Unfinished Rat that I have!! ::)

Thanks guys. Trying to get the laaaayers working. Time for a few more.

One question. What kinda of results can I get, hairspray chipping with Life Color Paint?

...just to save me the experiments...lol.

I would strongly recommend a test on a piece of scrap to get the feel as it 's somewhere between Tamiya and Vallejo, maybe more towards Tamiya but not as 'fine'.

I'm not sure the difference in effect would be worth it really, unless it's a color you only have in LC, I would stick with Tamiya.

Thanks. It's all about colors. I'm out of dark brown tones in tamiya and want got get some on this.

Looking cool Scott ! , Liking the tones , BTW the dash panels on these old cars were usually a pressed steel part ...Painted ,not covered ,but the one in yours is not the standard dash ,it looks like a custom part ? ,The standard dash is a flat panel with an oval clock cluster in the middle :)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back