Ratrod Marathon Build

Looking wicked Scott ;D ;D Lovin it !! Hope to see you do a few more Rattys ;D ;D . Hope the good lady isnt in too much pain ,brings tears to my eyes just thinking about that !! ....ouch :-X

Chris.

I like the videos. It good to see you make noises while adding alcohol to the airbrush. I somehow think this helps. ;D

The coupe looks good sitting on your bench. Gettin real ratty. Hows dat mota comin?

Thanks guys. Yeah, sound effects certainly do help. :p

The mota is going to be on the bench again pretty soon. I have made a few changes to my plan for that...namely the blower. More soon.

Scott:

Was the mask you had made at the sign shop made out of Tack paper ? I just watched a video from the Rocket Silo mentioning that tack paper works great for masking. He has his own vinyl cutter and uses tacking paper on different builds. Good stuff Mate!!!!! Loving everything to this point. Keep up the super work. One more question I have. You mentioned that you were using the hair dryer to help speed the drying process of your paint up while you were broadcasting on Ustream and now your doing a vid during your lunch break from work and used the hair dryer again to dry the paint job. Was this because of your lack of time since you were on lunch break or is using the hair dryer common on every build ? It makes sense and would speed the dry time up tremendously but I never heard if it was recommended for every paint job done ? If you do it on a regular basis, knowing it speeds up the drying time tremendously does it speed the cure time of the paint job as well ?

Not sure if that's tack paper. Hmmm. It's a clear plastic with adhesive on the back. Kinda thick. Thicker than regular paper but not card stock thick.

Ken told me about the hair dryer as he uses it to speed up drying times. I really don't know if it cures the paint any faster however I would think it gives it a head start by evaporating the surface water very fast. I've been using it pretty much every build; after acrylic paint, after AK Interactive layers. I know it's best to let things sit and dry but my bench time is usually short and I want to get stuff done, so I speed up drying with the machine.

Hooterville ,

That stuff is Low tack mask ,I used to use it when I worked in the sign/ graphics industry . I also used it for cutting paint masks while I worked on the heavy plant too , I can be bought in rolls from 600mm wide , but Airbrush painters use the same thing I believe they call it 'Frisk' ? They buy it in sheet form ,you could probably get it from Badger ,or check your local sign company they might sell you a cut of the roll ;)

Chris.

Been a while since I've posted an update. Still tinkering at this here and there.

Man, I've made tons of mistakes with this build...and for me that means gaining tons of experience. From breaking parts, to overlooking seams, to too much pigments, to scratching back to bare plastic. All in good fun!

Here are some pics of where this thing is at. Still a fair amount of work left.

4263.jpg

4264.jpg

4265.jpg

4266.jpg

4267.jpg

4268.jpg

That is looking EPIC !!! ;D Loving the beat up look ,everything just looks sooo right on it . Great work Scott .

Chris.

Thanks guys.

Worked on that front grill last night. Trying to find a way to do a rusty metal look without being "flaky brown rusty".

After a base of salted brown layers I first added some Vallejo aluminium to the grill, then wiped it back immediately with alcohol. This kinda left a shiny look that was pretty random. Then I added lots of really thin black and blue washes, really more like filters I guess, using Vallejo Acrylics and water. I just kept repeating / drying this process occasionally adding some Vallejo rust washes in splotches then more black, blue etc...

It was fun and turned out alright.

I think it came out great. But didn't you make a quick video a week or so ago where you AB the Rebel logo on the door panels. You were on your lunch break or something, right? Did you re-do the panels or do you have an SMA imposter out there?

Good eye. ;)

I really appreciated the comments on that...but.

While I was doing that my brain was saying: "Hell No!".

Just something about...well they had no punch. If I'm to put a logo on something, I need it to really POP!

And since it was over chipping fluid I chipped it all off and started again.

Lovin' this Scott!! As she sits this looks perfect!! Well done so far!!! ;)

Nailed the grille!,

Don't know how I missed this post up till now, spot on mate, nice work.

Latest posts

Back