Rancor

Junkie

Reaction score
Gonna try to knock this out over the long weekend.

Jaitea

Reaction score
Well it's about time (taps foot)

Good choice Scott

J

gregfrank

Reaction score
Really looking forward to seeing this come together! Can't wait!

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
Reaction score
What the ..... !! lol Cool ;D Look forward to this ,I think I know him ,lives about the Falls road somewhere (Belfast) ;D ;D

TBadger

Demolitions Expert
Reaction score
I've patiently awaited the start of this :) * wrings hands menacingly*

adampolo13

Reaction score
Don't know if my finger nails can take the abuse! Looking forward to this!

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
What a beast! That's gonna look good painted up, lots of scope there.

Igard

Reaction score
Cool! Really excited to see this one. 8)

Junkie

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Seriously though, don't expect any miracles. I have never attempted anything even remotely close to this. Gonna be a real challenge to make that thing look like it has skin...

Grendels

Reaction score
More than one of us has done that kind of monster in the past, post and you will get help.

Junkie

Reaction score
Thanks G, Q.

Just finished working on him but nothing much to show. I merely rough trimmed the large sections of flash from each part and removed the molded earring.

In the morning I hope to get some parts epoxied and possibly get started on filling seams, and sculpting the flesh with Aves. Got a church service tomorrow then supper at my Moms so I don't expect to get too far until later tomorrow night.

This thing is huge.

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Reaction score
"HOW HUGE IS IT???" Seriously, what are we talking here, 1/18, 1/12?? "" mm, km??

Cave_Dweller

Reaction score
A lot of great texture on this, drybrushing would work well, but to be awesome, I'm not sure. Airbrushed undercoat followed up with very intricate acrylic and oil highlights? This kind of model skirts the line between classic scale model techniques, and could also be done very well with the more 'Eavy Metal school of wargaming miniature painting techniques IMO. Either way could produce an amazing finish. Comes down to whatever you're more comfortable with.

At any rate, this brings back my childhood! All those years cleaning the Rancor pit, man it was hard work, I tell ya! And then that pesky Jedi showed up and killed him! He was really quite a sweet creature, just very hungry. :p

MrNatural

my head is falling off my head
Reaction score
Brilliant. Looking forward to some progress shots. How are the details on the kit? Any major warpage?

Junkie

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I appreciate the conversation alot.

nicholassagan said:
Seriously, what are we talking here, 1/18, 1/12??
It's a foot tall, around 1/15.

MrNatural said:
Brilliant. Looking forward to some progress shots. How are the details on the kit? Any major warpage?
Fit isn't great. I think I'll have to try the hot water technique to soften this up a bit.

Cave_Dweller said:
A lot of great texture on this, drybrushing would work well, but to be awesome, I'm not sure. Airbrushed undercoat followed up with very intricate acrylic and oil highlights? This kind of model skirts the line between classic scale model techniques, and could also be done very well with the more 'Eavy Metal school of wargaming miniature painting techniques IMO. Either way could produce an amazing finish. Comes down to whatever you're more comfortable with.
I'm thinking grey primer with preshade black shadows and white highlights...then basecoat with airbrush - details with acrylics and oils. I'm not really more comfortable either way... and don't know of the Eavy Metal school of wargaming miniature painting.

I should check out some videos on youtube...if anyone has links to any appropriate vidoes I'd certainly appreciate it.

Cave_Dweller

Reaction score

This is pure 'Eavy Metal style. Notice how it focuses more on built up highlights to create a stylistic look, not necessarily realistic. More cartoony.

Latest posts