Rancor

I've always wanted to try this kit... I've never been very good with vynil thou. The Phil Tippet reference pic should give you a great headstart on the coloring and the seaming looks awesome. Gotta love Epoxy Putty! I don't know what I ever did without the stuff before it came out! I remember using Plastic Cement and talcum powder to fill in seams and stuff but you had to work fast and it was rather messy. I know you'll do a great job on this bad boy! You can almost hear the sound of the Gammorean Gaurd squealing! :) Great work so far bro!

Thanks guys. Gonna let the Aves cure up nice and good before paint.

CAMS? Yeah, better be done by then.

I've had this kit for well over 15 years...first time building a vinyl kit. Not too bad...hairdryer works great to heat and position stuff.

OINK!

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks guys. Gonna let the Aves cure up nice and good before paint.

CAMS? Yeah, better be done by then.

I've had this kit for well over 15 years...first time building a vinyl kit. Not too bad...hairdryer works great to heat and position stuff.

OINK!

Oh...that is what it needs, a little snack in it's claw!

Here piggy, piggy, piggy!

WOW !!! there is some real nice detail in that !! painting should be a blast ;D cant wait to see it ...Nice build Scott .

Chris.

Yup. Detail is killer.

+++

So about that pig...I prefer to give him a fighting chance. Chop, glue, Aves. Gotta scratch a nice axe.

4483.jpg

4484.jpg

And for the record...the Rancor alone, no base, is my 'official contest entry' - but there aint no way this thing is going on my shelf like that. ;)

Not much no...

For those that aren't familiar with this kit here's how the Guard builds OOB:
IMG_1921_zpsd1c74062.jpg

I turned his head, lowered the left arm and used heat to reposition the legs a bit and create a grip in the right hand.

i cant wait to see this painted up Scott. that will be a challenge alone
:eek:

Scott,
I just found this thread!!! I am very excited to see you build this monster!
You are doing a bang up job!
Excellent work on taking out those seams... I would LOVE to paint one of these, and I am equally thrilled to see what you do with it!
;D ;D ;D

Thanks Mike. Appreciate it. She's a great kit.

After Rancor only final pics are taken this is the direction I'll go for the vignette. Gonna be large. Good piece to put in my office. I might try and make this a wall mount...maybe.Would be cool to model the door, and recess that into a wall with Rancor 3/4 out the door...but I digress

4485.jpg

Here's what I did with the Gamorrean Guard.
4486.jpg

4487.jpg

Got it primered just now. I decided to use suitable colors as it takes ALOT of paint. The Rancor was 3.5 full color cups.
4488.jpg

+++

I'm going to stop for lunch. Feel free to suggest a plan of attack next. I'm kinda at a loss.

I'm thinking preshade & highlight with airbrush - then get base colors on with airbrush...detail with paintbrush (all above Vallejo acrylic), then move to shadows/highlights/texture with oil paint or enamel. Finally weathering - dust and stuff.

[attachment deleted by admin]

They look awesome Scott, nice work with blending those seams. Now painting that beast is gonna be a challenge in itself.

Latest posts

Back