Rancor

Junkie

Gonna try to knock this out over the long weekend.

4469.jpg

What the ..... !! lol Cool ;D Look forward to this ,I think I know him ,lives about the Falls road somewhere (Belfast) ;D ;D

Wow. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Seriously though, don't expect any miracles. I have never attempted anything even remotely close to this. Gonna be a real challenge to make that thing look like it has skin...

More than one of us has done that kind of monster in the past, post and you will get help.

Thanks G, Q.

Just finished working on him but nothing much to show. I merely rough trimmed the large sections of flash from each part and removed the molded earring.

In the morning I hope to get some parts epoxied and possibly get started on filling seams, and sculpting the flesh with Aves. Got a church service tomorrow then supper at my Moms so I don't expect to get too far until later tomorrow night.

This thing is huge.

A lot of great texture on this, drybrushing would work well, but to be awesome, I'm not sure. Airbrushed undercoat followed up with very intricate acrylic and oil highlights? This kind of model skirts the line between classic scale model techniques, and could also be done very well with the more 'Eavy Metal school of wargaming miniature painting techniques IMO. Either way could produce an amazing finish. Comes down to whatever you're more comfortable with.

At any rate, this brings back my childhood! All those years cleaning the Rancor pit, man it was hard work, I tell ya! And then that pesky Jedi showed up and killed him! He was really quite a sweet creature, just very hungry. :p

Brilliant. Looking forward to some progress shots. How are the details on the kit? Any major warpage?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the conversation alot.

nicholassagan said:
Seriously, what are we talking here, 1/18, 1/12??
It's a foot tall, around 1/15.

MrNatural said:
Brilliant. Looking forward to some progress shots. How are the details on the kit? Any major warpage?

Fit isn't great. I think I'll have to try the hot water technique to soften this up a bit.

Cave_Dweller said:
A lot of great texture on this, drybrushing would work well, but to be awesome, I'm not sure. Airbrushed undercoat followed up with very intricate acrylic and oil highlights? This kind of model skirts the line between classic scale model techniques, and could also be done very well with the more 'Eavy Metal school of wargaming miniature painting techniques IMO. Either way could produce an amazing finish. Comes down to whatever you're more comfortable with.

I'm thinking grey primer with preshade black shadows and white highlights...then basecoat with airbrush - details with acrylics and oils. I'm not really more comfortable either way... and don't know of the Eavy Metal school of wargaming miniature painting.

I should check out some videos on youtube...if anyone has links to any appropriate vidoes I'd certainly appreciate it.

478313_md-.jpg

This is pure 'Eavy Metal style. Notice how it focuses more on built up highlights to create a stylistic look, not necessarily realistic. More cartoony.

Latest posts

Back