Rancor

That's a cool paint style...not my direction for this but really cool.

Babyzilla...yeah I can see that.

Here's a really excellent pic of the original ILM Rancor. He's definitely more brown than green.

rancortippetttouchup.jpg

The paint style employed by GW for their tabletop figures is basically one of exaggeration - I recall reading an article where one of their painters described it along the lines of scaling the shadows & highlights to the size of a model;

if for example a figure is 1/48, then the shadows / highlights would be 48 times more range than at life size. That's why it looks ok at that size (heroic 28mm) however on a 56mm figure it would look overly contrasted. i.e. the larger the scale, the less contrast range is used to make it look "right".

Fantastic photo, I love how the tail is bare at the back. Scott are you going the airbrush acrylic base/pre shade/ highlights etc then onto oil weathering? I think oils would really suit this. Though with the AK arsenal at your disposal you could pull it off the enamel route also. Very excited to see what you do man. Have you enough reference pics? I can search through my stash of books for you if not.

Planning to base-pre-highlight with airbrush then oils or enamels---yes.

Reference...I don't have much. The only decent pic I have is that one above. All the screen caps I've seen don't really give you much to see.

Ok, so...

After cleaning up the parts I poured Plaster into the feet and lower legs to try and add some weight to the bottom of this beast.

4470.jpg

But alas...it doesn't stand on it's own. I'm considering trying to get some plaster into the tail via the shoulder area.

4471.jpg

Fit isn't awesome either and the right hand bottoms out on the ground. I've been heating the vinyl with a hair dryer and trying to get the right arm off from touching the ground. I spoke to another modeler that has the same problem with this kit. Gonna keep working at it...lots of seams to fill.

4472.jpg

In order to stand up on its own, you need to move the center of gravity back behind the feet. Adding mass to the feet will help a bit, but you need to add weight to the back end like the tail area. Try some fishing weights in the tail.

yeah fishing weights, small taconite pellets, whatever bits of metal you can fit in the tail will probably balance it out.
but even with the fit issues, and just the gray of the vinyl, it looks like a pretty decently detailed kit...coming along nicely, scott.

Found some...and it werks. Thanks.

Yeah, the detail is really, really good. Sweet sculpt.

Nice choice! Looks like a fun build for sure. As soon as you finish that beast you'll have to give me your address, it's already packaged and waiting to go. ;)

;D

Started on filling / sculpting seams. Lots of work to do. I have the neck, shoulders, the one knee and a couple of knuckles done. After viewing these pics I see a couple areas on the neck I should address before the Aves sets up.

Hopefully it will all blend under primer. I'll find out soon enough.

4473.jpg

4474.jpg

4475.jpg

4476.jpg

4477.jpg

Awesome detail on that kit.

The filling & blending are outstanding Scott, you've totally hidden the join

John

This is looking great. Yeah, aside from the very subtle colour difference between the epoxy and vinyl you can't see any seam lines.

Great sculpting!

Joint work is looking great, Scott.
Needing to do some of that myself with the Stormcat

Thanks guys. This is an absolutely excellent figure. Sure, the fit is a bit wonky...but with heat and a bit of persuasion followed by Aves it builds up nicely.

Speaking of build up...it's done.

4478.jpg

To get the right hand off the ground I heated the shoulder - big time - and then did my best to 'persuade' the vinyl where I wanted it to be. This left a 1/4" gap in the armpit. Aves, a toothpick to shape and a damp toothbrush to feather and smooth sorted most of that out.

4479.jpg

4480.jpg

She's a biggy (but don't tell her that)....that's a No.11 hobby knife beside it.

4481.jpg

Latest posts

Back