question about compressed air

astroboy

So the family and are moving shortly, which means I no longer have to do my airbrushing at my work shop. I'll now have an unfinished basement to work out of!!!!

But we have a baby so I don't want to put my 2 gallon air compressor down there. It's way too loud when it kicks on.

do they make cans of compressed air for air brushes? Something non toxic?

They do make cans of compressed air which you should never, EVER buy. They are ridiculously expensive for the amount of air you get, and are very inconsistent: the pressure drops continuously as you use them so you have to constantly adjust the valve while you work, plus if you don't warm them they will freeze and go to no pressure until they warm up again.

For TOTALLY silent air, you can look into a CO2 tank, but the initial cost is high (not so much the tank, but the correct fittings), you have to have someplace to top up, and they are not without certain risks.

Next to silent are the various oil reciprocating airbrush specific compressors. Bring money....lots of money.

Not silent but relatively benign are the myriad of airbrush specific oiless piston compressors. I wouldn't call them noisy but they definitely make sound. Audible in an adjacent room but not objectionable. Definitely opt for one WITH a tank.

Or a tractor inner tube slid under your desk with you pressing down with your feet for pressure! That's how we do it out in the sticks lol!
viewthread.php

Astro, you are looking for something like this:

http://www.elmcityhobbies.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=166_167&products_id=2545

Not completely silent, but enough so you can use it in the basement, and they aren't going to hear it on the floor above you.

Yes they can be more expensive than a regular compressor from a DIY store, but they are quieter, and set up ready to go without having to run out and buy a bunch of fittings to convert the hose to run your airbrush.

so what you guys are saying is that something like the Iwata air blast isn't worth it at all?

If you already have a compressor, you could just buy an air tank that you can charge whenever you need it and a regulator.

astroboy said:
so what you guys are saying is that something like the Iwata air blast isn't worth it at all?

Yup, thats what I'm saying. Unless you enjoy wildly erratic pressure and spending tons of money throwing cans away. :).

A spare car tire, as horrible an air-source as it is, is better than those cans.

astroboy said:
But we have a baby so I don't want to put my 2 gallon air compressor down there. It's way too loud when it kicks on.

If your compressor already has a two gallon tank why not simply put it outside and run a hose into the basement, or run it when the baby isn't home to fill it, then shut off the switch and use the air in the tank?

You could also build a simple enclosure around it and insulate it well to reduce the noise. I have a huge, industrial grade stand up air compressor at my shop that is very loud and I did just that. I built a small 'room' around it, insulated the walls and now you can hear yourself think when it kicks on.

As has been said, those compressed air cans suck and unless you are a traveling salesmen who wants to pull the can from his suitcase and spray in his hotel room, I see no real use for them.

I have a 4 gallon compressor downstairs. Sounds like a train. I run a 50 hose from it up to my loft, through a water trap, then into a regulator. I keep it at 100psi downstairs and then roll it back to 20 or so up here. Works great. It's still loud but just a mumble up here.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Astro, you are looking for something like this:

http://www.elmcityhobbies.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=166_167&products_id=2545

Not completely silent, but enough so you can use it in the basement, and they aren't going to hear it on the floor above you.

Yes they can be more expensive than a regular compressor from a DIY store, but they are quieter, and set up ready to go without having to run out and buy a bunch of fittings to convert the hose to run your airbrush.

I have one and it's AWESOME!!!!!

thanks for all the advice guys! I guess I'll just bring my extra compressor back from the cottage and build an enclosure for it.

Latest posts

Back