Q&A | Aircraft Group Build - Navy and Marine Aircraft

redraider56 said:
f2k said:
Surfing though wikipedia (a dangerous pastime as it takes a lot of... well…time…) I came across a curiosity. The US Navy operated four P38F-5’s in North Africa. The navy… Operating land-based aircrafts over the African desert…?

That sounded so weird that I just had to build one…

Only problem is that there’s absolutely no information on this particular unit. There is an Italeri 1:48 scale kit for a D-day version of that particular aircraft. But the beaches of Normandy are rather far from the sands of the North African desert…

IT2681.jpg

Does anyone have any information on that particular unit? Colours? Markings? Etc…

I was thinking about buying the D-day kit and paint it in a dusty yellowish desert-camo ala the British Hurricanes that operated in a ground support rule. It sure would look cool, but if it’s particularly period accurate…?

Ah, well. Who cares about accuracy? As long as it looks cool, right? My only worry is that the only review I could find of that kit was… Shall we say… Somewhat less than positive…

Are you sure F-5s served with the Navy? The F-5 was simply a photo recon version of the P-38, with all the guns removed and cameras fitted in the nose. I've never heard of them being used by the Navy, but I'm no expert on them

Acording to wiki they did. And wiki don't lie, right...

But, as I said, I can't find any info on that particular unit. All I can get is a few pages that seem to simply copy the wiki entry.

Well i finally decided. I'm hoping to do more than one build for the GB, but this is the one I'll start with. My plan is to do it up in Suez colours.

JMac

hobbyboss87251reviewgp_1.jpg

I have a P-38 lightning I was gonna do for the Big Spring Contest that I didnt get a chance to do. I think ill do it for this group build.

IBCRAZY8220 said:
I have a P-38 lightning I was gonna do for the Big Spring Contest that I didnt get a chance to do. I think ill do it for this group build.

Keep in mind that if you are building a P-38 (a US Air Force fighter), it would have to have been used in actual Navy or Marine service. I think F2K has found that it had very ,very, limited use by the US Navy, but can't find details on the squadron or markings.

JMac

Chris S said:
Nobody going for a Sea Vixen /Venom ??

Chris.

You'll have you Seafire done by then, you should totally build up the Airfix Vixen. That kit is way too big for my shelf.

JMac said:
IBCRAZY8220 said:

Keep in mind that if you are building a P-38 (a US Air Force fighter), it would have to have been used in actual Navy or Marine service. I think F2K has found that it had very ,very, limited use by the US Navy, but can't find details on the squadron or markings.

JMac

Indeed. Apart from the little blurb that I talked about I've been unable to get any sort of confirmation. No squadron markings. No camo-schemes. No nothing...

You might, of course, take that as a license to get really creative…

JMac said:
Chris S said:
Nobody going for a Sea Vixen /Venom ??

Chris.

You'll have you Seafire done by then, you should totally build up the Airfix Vixen. That kit is way too big for my shelf.

I am thinking about doing a Vixen ,as well as the Arado ;D

Chris.

f2k said:
JMac said:
IBCRAZY8220 said:

JMac

Indeed. Apart from the little blurb that I talked about I've been unable to get any sort of confirmation. No squadron markings. No camo-schemes. No nothing...

There's a little bit out there. Apparently they were on loan from the USAAF and totalled 4 aircraft.

Bu Nos
01209/01212 Lockheed XFO-1
Designation given by US Navy to
four F-5B photo-reconnaissance Lightnings
obtained in North Africa. BuNos
reassigned from cancelled SB2C-1 batch.

Google is your friend. ;)

ShutterAce said:
f2k said:
JMac said:
IBCRAZY8220 said:

JMac

There's a little bit out there. Apparently they were on loan from the USAAF and totalled 4 aircraft.

Bu Nos
01209/01212 Lockheed XFO-1
Designation given by US Navy to
four F-5B photo-reconnaissance Lightnings
obtained in North Africa. BuNos
reassigned from cancelled SB2C-1 batch.

Google is your friend. ;)

But that's unfortunately just about the only thing that I could find. Would kill for a picture of an actual aircraft...

I am in with a bit of a different flair. I'll be building an EA-6A Prowler...but in the Navair Centennial scheme in honor of the Battle of the Coral Sea...
6b55c0af.jpg

Grabbed the kit and the decals from Fightertown off of eBay and they look awesome!

JMac said:

JMac

If its a WWII fighter it isnt an Airforce plane. In WWII there was no US Airforce, it wasnt created until 47.

Aircraft in WWII fell under 'jurisdiction' of either Army Air Corps or the Navy.

Nah, no worries.

I just hope no one says " then what about the Marines" making me say that they fell under the Navy and piss off a bunch of jarheads. ;D

Jeeves said:
I am in with a bit of a different flair. I'll be building an EA-6A Prowler...but in the Navair Centennial scheme in honor of the Battle of the Coral Sea...
6b55c0af.jpg

Grabbed the kit and the decals from Fightertown off of eBay and they look awesome!

Darn! I was waiting as long as I could, before I told my real intended bird selection!

But now that you have pick the same AirFrame.... I'll look for it's land based counterpart

Jammin Jihad EA-6 "it is" then!

My build ;D

Academy 1/32 F/A-18C Hornet

Super detail??? Maybe
Navy or Marine???? Stay tuned!

box-top.jpg

f2k said:
Surfing though wikipedia (a dangerous pastime as it takes a lot of... well…time…) I came across a curiosity. The US Navy operated four P38F-5’s in North Africa. The navy… Operating land-based aircrafts over the African desert…?

That sounded so weird that I just had to build one…

Only problem is that there’s absolutely no information on this particular unit. There is an Italeri 1:48 scale kit for a D-day version of that particular aircraft. But the beaches of Normandy are rather far from the sands of the North African desert…

IT2681.jpg

Does anyone have any information on that particular unit? Colours? Markings? Etc…

I was thinking about buying the D-day kit and paint it in a dusty yellowish desert-camo ala the British Hurricanes that operated in a ground support rule. It sure would look cool, but if it’s particularly period accurate…?

Ah, well. Who cares about accuracy? As long as it looks cool, right? My only worry is that the only review I could find of that kit was… Shall we say… Somewhat less than positive…

According too Wikipedia, which is not always the best sorce, the US Navy did not really favor the P-38, however they operated a hand full of P-38/F5Bs, 4 of them according to Wiki, and where more land based aircraft. though there are few records of other sources i can find, i think i see a few more sorces. if the Navy used it, then i guess its ok.

My guess if it was navy it would look something like this

NavyP-38.jpg

i looked for photos of a Navy P-38 and this is what i got, it is a photo of a P-38 for CFS2 which is a WWII Pacific Theater fight simulator, you fly navy and Marine planes like the Corsair, Hellcat, Zero... and they are typically navy based planes... but there are some non navy based planes you can upload, by the color scheme its pritty close too what it should look like...

Jeeves said:
Sorry brother...no reason why there can't be two? Were you doing the same scheme?

No, no! Mike! My Kinetik kit has..... Less than exciting markings..... So. Jamming Jihad was always the intended paint Scheme.... LOL.

Just pulling you chain my friend! Happy to have a friendly comp... In this GB! It Helps!

Later! Buddy.

Just finished filming my OOB Review. Will post tomorrow night!

Finally decided will be entering this one... this will be my first chopper. I'll be saving the F/A 18D marines for next year competition.

HobbyBoss-SH-60B-Seahawk-84.jpg

Latest posts

Back