Pre-Shading & Alclad II?

The Nylon Gag

This info maybe on the site somewhere?

I saw a video on a candy blue finish that went like this.

Regular acrylic primer
Gloss black enamel
Alclad II crome
Transulucent blue acrylic

The guy got a realy cool effect.
On my Nylon Gag MK1 build i would like to get a similar effect but i also want to use some pre-shading. So how would that work with the gloss black all over?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please

The GagMan

One of the guys on here did a car that same way, only he use the Clear red over chrome instead of blue.

For the pre-shading, really you could do it pre or post, but either way, use Alclad's Smoke color. It is still a transparent so it won't completely cover the previous layer, but would be enough to give a darker tone to the cracks and crevices, either as a pre-shade or a post-shade.

Thanks for the swift responce Scott

You mean :-

Primer
Black gloss enamel
alclad II crome
alclad smoke pre-shade around me panels etc..
translucent blue

Sorry, i'm a bit slow ;D This is going to be a new technique for me.

I also thought what would happen if you pre-shaded with matt black enamel after the black gloss enamel coat?

How much US$ are the Alclad Laquers Scott ?

Gag

Yes that would be the order I would do them in.

I say smoke as opposed to a straight black, because the color you want to put over the chrome is a transparent color.

On a tank or aircraft, say you were painting it grey....you can use a flat black in the panel lines under the grey to darken the lines because you grey is opaque and is going to cover up most of the black.

Your transparent blue, is just that...transparent. Once you put your chrome down, your smoke (or transparent black) on the panel lines won't be as stark under the transparent blue as an opaque color would be.

Of course try it out on a scrap piece first to see what it would look like before doing it on the kit.

As far as pricing....the metallics are $9.50/bottle CDN (whatever that exchanges to US$), the transparent colors are a little less than than, and the other primers, base coats and such vary in price.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Yes that would be the order I would do them in.

I say smoke as opposed to a straight black, because the color you want to put over the chrome is a transparent color.

On a tank or aircraft, say you were painting it grey....you can use a flat black in the panel lines under the grey to darken the lines because you grey is opaque and is going to cover up most of the black.

Your transparent blue, is just that...transparent. Once you put your chrome down, your smoke (or transparent black) on the panel lines won't be as stark under the transparent blue as an opaque color would be.
Correct. You don't want to cover up the chrome colouring - you want to enhance it. Alclad II is about $5.00 - $7.00 U.S. depending who you buy from. If you can get it locally, do it. It'll save you more money in the long run over shipping costs.

Latest posts

Back