Posting videos to You Tube

hooterville75

Hey all. Last night I posted my first video to my you tube channel. Being it was my first crack at doing this I knew there would be poor video quality etc. Well it was just that. Very poor video quality as Im not equipped to do these videos yet but wanted to get a video or two up because people were asking when I was going to post a video.

When I watched my video on my computer through real player before uploading to you tube it actually looked half decent. Then I uploaded to you tube and there is green squiggly lines at the bottom of the video and up about a half inch.

Other then lighting, what am I doing wrong and what can I do to get a clear video ? I was using my Kodak Mini (camera/recorder) combo to record the video which you will be able to see if you watch it from the shadow when showing everyone the spray booth I am building.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. If you care to view the video you may do so at the following address.

Work Area II

Here is a good start:
https://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1727361

I dont know what software you used to render with, but I can recomend sony vegas.. Its what I use at home, purely because it is pretty cheap and it even has an "upload to youtube" option which they have pre-configured for either SD or HD.

Dont worry too much about making the best ever videos, infact go to all the "big" youtube chanels of the bloggers who post daily and you go through their history to their first videos and you will see they are really bad too.. It takes practice and time, also it just takes a little time for people to get used to talking on camera and working out what the audiece finds interesting and doesnt.

Lastly, ignore the haters.. you will always get some "know it all" telling you openly how bad your video is or your information is.. Ignore them, its not worth it!

Good luck YTing.

What camera are you using?
What is it set up to (image quality).
Are you using any editing software?
What file format?

As for that green line, did you try to delete the first video and upload again?
It looks to me like maybe the file didn't upload complete?

ceecrb1 thanks for the info. BS1 I dont know, I dont know, No and I dont know LOL. I simply recorded it on my Kodak Mini. Uploaded it to my computer with the program on my computer the Kodak brought up, played it through real player and then uploaded from real player to youtube.

Thats all I knew how to do.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ok in THIS case, my suggestions missed out a few first stages.. the baby steps.

Dont worry, I'm not saying your a useless noob.. we all start from somewhere.

The best thing to do, as it would be harder to try and explain by typing, is watch some youtube videos and tutorials on how to creat, edit and upload a basic video.. just do some searching..
The best video to watch is the one done in a style you best understand.

I'd say start looking at windows movie maker tutorials. Its a really weird piece of software, but its free and you may already have it.... Just devote an hour or so to seeing other poeoples video tutorials and you will learn a lot more and faster than us trying to type it all out here..

really you dont need to know that much, one of the best channels I am subscribed to, the guy does ZERO editing.. takes the file from his camera and uploads it... but hes blowing things up with high voltages......

Nice, Im going to devote tomorrow solely to researching this in the morning as I sit down to watch one of my favorite shows Gangland ha ha. Probably be re runs that Ive seen ten times but I love the show. Ive been wanting to sit down and research the site you sent originally but just havent had the time as Ive been down in the man cave doing work. Im totally redoing the entire man cave and have a TON of work to do. So little by little, penny by penny what I can afford at a time Im doing. I just finished up building my spray booth, now just have the venting and cosmetic work to do to it. I put a sink in the man cave and just have to put a door on it yet. So tomorrow Im going to do some research.

Other then the lighting, and the green squiggley lines in the video honestly for no editing, I was extremely happy with it. As dark as it is except at my work area with the lights on I was surprised the video quality was as it was. I was expecting a black hole.

I may put one kit together before completing the man cave work because Ive got the itch but after I get my fix, Im not building anything further until I get the man cave finished. Ive came to the conclusion you cant properly build a model kit without the proper working conditions. At the moment, I dont have that. Far from it so Im going to make things right, have suitable conditions, materials etc and get at it hard in 2013. Will be posting pics of my next build as well on here so stay tuned. Thanks again for the info. Ill read up and have another go at it with maybe a un boxing of the kit I do to get my fix.

For lighting, the cheapest of the cheapest of those outdoor halogen floodlights will do fine!
I only use 50W ones at home and they only cost something like 4€ say 8$ or so each.

They arnt perfect, but they can take a beating and if you rig them in the right place will be more than adequate results.

youtube search "3 point lighting". You dont need to go into such perfect detail as the tutorials will show, but it will give the basic idea of where to try and place the lights.

That green noise is weird. I don't get it at all.

I would suggest several tests. Record, say 30 seconds of video with every setting available on the camera, then try different settings with the software. That's what I did way back when.

It takes times, but you'll start to find the best settings and then once you do, stick to those.

Looks like Im going to need to take a college course on this video editing. I was looking at Windows Movie Maker and the options they give you to edit with I have no clue what some of them mean or how they enhance the video. Time to get diggen :D Google is your friend. Going to start with youtube.com :D

When I started doing videos I tried Windows Movie Maker and it did not help me a all.
I soon discovered AVS Video Editor and have stuck with it ever since. (I have Sony Vegas as well but AVS is much easier to use).
The thing with AVS is once you pay for the license, it's good for all their products.
And, AVS has tutorials on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/avs4you

You can download and try for free:
http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Editor.aspx

I hope this helps.

Ok obviously Im a tard because I cant understand this stupid video editing stuff. So Im going to be buying a new camera high tech that I dont need to worry about this stupid video editing. (Breathe Hooterville remember the vid Grendels did on Anger ;D ). This is so freekin frustrating. Im about to say bologna on the videos and just stick to pics. I at least learned how to put them on photo bucket and not have them so tiny anymore ha ha. This Kodak deal must be JUNK. What I dont get it when you watch the video on my end its just peachykeen jellybean. No problems at all. Even in Windows Media or Real player its perfect. Load it to youtube and its G A R B A G E!!!!!! So I give up on the videos. I got more much more important stuff to get fixed (mancave :D before I worry about this video editing) anymore. BS1 if you have any further pointers or have a book for video editing for DUMMIES LIKE ME that would be helpful Im all ears. Ha ha.

Ill check this out, Chung produces good stuff. Hes the one I found out about the huge Badger sale going on right now for the Holiday. Thanks

I checked out DreamKnights stuff a couple of days ago as I am looking to make a purchase for taking short videos of HD quality, i would like to be able to pull stills from the video if possible, or at least be able to HQ/HD still images for build logs.

I thought about this as a start Kodak Zi10 any thoughts from the peanut gallery on this possible purchase?

I would go looking for a small camera that also does video before buying one of those. I have a cannon elph 100HS and it takes very good video.

They have a better model on Amazon for only a few dollars more than the Kodak:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B006UMM1UO/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1357230901&sr=1-5

As for video editing, I use Corel VideoStudio X5. Pretty cheap right now with a digital download. You also have a free 30 trial.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp;jsessionid=k+z8cdzRYb9GUs2X74AFBA**.prd-atg-commerce2?&skuId=PK_ESDVSPRX5ENAM&trkid=USsemKWS&1=1&storeKey=us&mapcounter=1&pid=prod4650075

I did a review of a bunch of video editing software a while back, the Corel product hasn't changed up a lot since then:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22CE71FB76DF4091&feature=view_all

Any Canon digital camera will be much better than any Kodak camera.
And those Digital Elph cameras are AWESOME!
I have one and it has a nice macro setting for video and photo as well.

Grendels said:
I would go looking for a small camera that also does video before buying one of those. I have a cannon elph 100HS and it takes very good video.

They have a better model on Amazon for only a few dollars more than the Kodak:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B006UMM1UO/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1357230901&sr=1-5

As for video editing, I use Corel VideoStudio X5. Pretty cheap right now with a digital download. You also have a free 30 trial.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp;jsessionid=k+z8cdzRYb9GUs2X74AFBA**.prd-atg-commerce2?&skuId=PK_ESDVSPRX5ENAM&trkid=USsemKWS&1=1&storeKey=us&mapcounter=1&pid=prod4650075

I did a review of a bunch of video editing software a while back, the Corel product hasn't changed up a lot since then:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22CE71FB76DF4091&feature=view_all

Is Corel easy to research and navigate through to do the editing ? My problem with these video editing programs isnt using the actual features in the software but to know what needs to be fixed with what feature. Like in my lonely video I produced for youtube.com the video has a green bar type area in the pic of the video from the bottom to about halfway on the screen. What is creating the green bar, what is it called and what feature fixes that problem lol. Ive been researching these video editing softwares and everyone of them seem to be legit with a ton of features and fixes but it in the end all boils down too not knowing what to fix and what feature to use to fix it. Im all ears on learning how to do these edits but I need a video editing 101 class or book for dummies to read to learn all the problems and potential errors and fixes to fix each.

The corel software is pretty easy to use, it is mainly drag and drop.

One thing though. If that green line was due to a camera error, no video software can correct for it. The camera is recording the green line as if it was part of the scenery. Since the original scene isn't there, you can't remove the green line. You can only replace the green line with another color.

So you need to track down the source of the green line and then you can try to correct for it.

Latest posts

Back