Painting car body finish techniques

builder101

Happy Holidays to everyone!!

Going to have some time off work and although my genre of models has been sci-fi I have recently had a few car models on the bench. Now, I have dug through the forum and found a lot of tips and advise but was wondering if some car guys could clear up some confusion on getting a nice shiny mirror finish. I have read about paints and usually use MM or Tamiya. But as far as the rubbing compounds, different high grit sand paper, what gloss to use and such I am a little confused. I read in a thread that the paint does not matter much to get a shine that flat paint is fine. Do some of you like to use gloss paint and then clear coat? Do you guys wet sand then gloss? Anyone run me through a little step by step process, I really see some beautiful finishes and would like to try to produce a little better results my self.

After some time I think I am a little better air brushing I have learned to thin the paint better and just put on a real light coat and work my way up with around 18 to 20 PSI and pull back lightly and evenly on my Iwata brush.
I also found that while I thought I was saving a buck or two with using auto primer it does not seem to compare with Tamiya surface primer or even a can of model master primer.

Any tips on a step by step from what clear coat to sanding and polishing methods would be greatly appreciated.

While yes you can use a matt paint, you are just creating more work for yourself by trying to polish a matt paint to a gloss finish.

However using a matt coat, and follow it up with a gloss clear coat will work also.

For polishing, I personally use a set of foam pads that go from 2400grit to 12000grit, and then follow that up with a polish of some sort. Usually does the trick. You can also get them in sheets in those grits as well, just I prefer the pads.

There are also different techniques for laying down the paint as well as you want to try and have it as smooth as possible before you start to polish it out, makes for less work, and less chance of burning through the paint.

You don't have the bear down much at all on the polishing pads (or the sheets) basically just let the tool do the work and keep a little dish of water near by with a drop of dish detergent in it, and dip your pad/paper in it before polishing. The water keeps the paint surface cool while you polish it, which helps in keeping you from burning through the paint, as well the water keeps the pad/paper from getting clogged up.

As mentioned start w a smooth surface if you want smooth paint.
Lots of light layers will help keep runs and pooling around panel lines grills etc at bay.
I like multiple layers of clear so if you do need to wet sand you have something protecting the paint.
I tend to use the micro mesh pads under running water to polish car bodies, I use no us for any scratches or swirls and use ice polish over the top, it's a colourless liquid so won't leave white reside in any of the fine details.

I have come up with a different approach than those discussed above:

1) No primer: I get orange peel anytime I use a primer
2) The lower the air pressure the better
3) Many light passes with the paint, don't use one or two heavy passes
4) If orange peel shows, use a rubbing compound that you can find at an automotive store to remove it (no sanding!)
5)Wash off the rubbing compound, it will eat the paint if you don't.
6) spray the color again
7) once you are happy with the final result, I polish with Tamiya polishing compounds they will bring out the gloss shine
8) wash off the tamiya compounds with water, they will eat the paint if you don't

You can spray with a flat paint as the color coat, and then spray with a gloss clear if you like. I have found that future is a great glossy coat, but can be tricky to get without runs.

Thanks for all the advice! I will give it a shot I picked up another can of Tamiya surface primer and some Tamiya red, that I will try airbrushing and MM clear coat. I watched a video on youtube where the model builder used a wash for the panel lines. I would like to try it really brought subtle detail. So, things I will need some of the micro pads and Tamiya polish.

Thanks again for all the techniques! I will read though this thread again when closer to painting.

Mike

Latest posts

Back