Paint Effects

hooterville75

If I have to use an airbrush with a bent needle tip temporarily is there anyway I can position the needle in the airbrush that I don't get a flat or orange peel effect from the painting ?

Ever since my tip has gotten bent, anytime I paint I get a flat or orange peel effect on my body. I've totally sanded down the body from the original paint job I had on it and hit it again with what appeals to me to be worse then the first time. Waiting to see what it looks like tomorrow because paint seems to work in spuratic ways lol.

I'm waiting for the new needle to get here but have to use what I got till it arrives. Ive gotten decent layers of paint since the tip bent but don't know if putting the needle in one way over the other with the bent tip position has any effect on it or not. I'm thinking it will be at least three or four more days until I receive the new needle but don't want to have any down time until it arrives. I don't want to start a new kit as its pointless to not be able to paint with the airbrush and I don't have the skills to brush the paint on with satisfactorily results.

Guess if their is no remedies to work with what I have till the new needle arrives Ill have to start washing and prepping all the kits I have to be built that way I don't have any down time lol. I have to be doing something constantly or I go insane. OCD, Bi Polar, all of the above SUCKS lol. Thanks for any info ya all can give me. Wishes they made a Otterbox defender for an airbrush HA HA LOL.

What kind of airbrush is it Hooverville? If its a Badger, they do factory repairs (very reasonably I believe). Check with the manufacturers website for repair or the warranty info.

The bent needle is going to disrupt your spray pattern. It won't cause orange peel. The disrupted spray may cause paint build up on the tip of the airbrush, which might cause spits. Think paint goobers. You're only going to know if you try, so pick a junker and see.

Yes its a Badger Patriot 105. I'm going to do the work myself this time if it doesn't work right then Ill send it back. Less time that way lol. Its only a needle and tip change. This way I can learn myself instead of having to rely on someone else. Kinda like on job training lol.

If the tip is slightly bend at the tip you can carefully use a sanding stick to straighten it. I've done it with good results, if you've ordered a new brush what's the harm in trying.

Spud, I can strip it down very easily lol. Its just anytime of lathe or stone work I have no experience with and for the price of the needle only a few bucks Ill just order a new one lol. Thanks for the video though much appreciated.

if there cheap buy 2 because sooner or later you will want another one and its always nice to have one at hand :)

Ah Spud, Dawggone it man. Very good point and Ive already placed the order :( Never thought about that. I did however order a new nozzle, spring and needle. I should have used common sense and ordered a spare of each as it never hurts to have parts on hand :( Stupid of me but hey I'm always a dollar short and a day late so no difference here lol. Seems to be my motto as of late ha ha. I'm on a role today. Got the Airbrush parts ordered, A Micro Mesh Kit, A Novus kit, and now I mise as well sneak a order into the one hobby site Im gonna order from online. I guess once its placed, payed for and shipped there is nothing momma can do right LOL. Thinks Ill throw a kit in on that order as well :D Hmmmmmm P-51 YEP I THINK SO :D

If you take the needle now, place the tip on the bench surface and roll it back and forth while using another finger to apply gentle pressure, you can take some of the bend out. I've done this in a pinch and while it's far from ideal, it's better than spraying with the bend in the end.

Latest posts

Back