P-40 Tomahawk "African Ace"

FlipFlop

I like my planes like my women - dirty!
Ok guys, this is my entry for BSC. I tried to enter yesterday but i had some problems which are now resolved (sort of) thanks to Scott.

I will be making Academy P-40 Tomahawk in RAFs markings (+yesterdays newspaper):

DSCN1020.jpg

DSCN1021.jpg

It will be the Tomahawk IIB flown by Neville Duke in Egypt, Jan-Feb 1942. He was one of the top scoring allied pilots in Mediterranean Theatre having shot down at least 27 enemy aircraft by the end of the war, and after the war becoming test pilot for Hawker.

If anyone wants to know more about this gentleman:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neville_Duke

The kit looks simple, recessed panel lines and the best thing about it - it comes with Cartograph decals. Usually achilles heel of Academy kits are decals (IMHO).

Cheers.

It will be nice to see a Neville Duke P40 ...looking forward to this one :)

Chris.

Update guys! I've been working on a cockpit - standard stuff plus i added some details because it looked really dull OOB.

2012-04-08221026.jpg

2012-04-08221416.jpg

2012-04-08222803.jpg

2012-04-08224106.jpg

On one of my reference photos i saw a lever on the floor (left) and those 2 things on the right so i added them... But could have been a Kittyhawk. Nevertheless i like the busyness it creates:

2012-04-09000124.jpg

2012-04-09010749.jpg

Wow, you're already off to a good start. I actually learned something today from you..to use Mr. Surface to add fine details to the kit.

Nice job, good luck!

Thanks for your comment :). It was a new thing to me too, i am still experimenting with Mr.Surfacer, but i think you can do this with a normal putty too. Mr.Surfacer is convenient because you can wipe it off with acetone...

Cheers!

Thanks for the comments guys, as always it is appriciated!

I've got a small update for you, didn't have much time today.
Still working on a cockpit.

I had to add some detail to the seat so i cut a piece of plastic in shape of a lumbar support part of a seat from a yoghurt cup and drilled some holes in it. On the real thing there are horizontal indentations but i just couldn't do them... This looks good too ;D

2012-04-10011608.jpg

2012-04-10012036.jpg

Next up were rudder pedals - they were attached to the IP which means this plane could have been flown only by someone who didn't have legs... At least from knees to the bottom part... So i cut them and glued them to the floor a little further.

2012-04-10012217.jpg

2012-04-10020715.jpg

And this is how it looks like now (seat not glued yet):
2012-04-10020907.jpg

Next up is priming, painting and seat belts but that will be done after thursday. I have to Study (student+dying) :'( ...

Cheers!

I've got another small update for you. I made seat belts today.
This was my reference photo:

image.jpg

And these are the belts (tamiya tape + some wire + coca-cola can):

DSCN1026.jpg

DSCN1032.jpg

Next update will be bigger, i promise ;D

Cheers!

The belts look really good FlipFlop, nice addition to what is shaping into a sharp looking build.

Update! Finished painting cockpit, i'll probably assemble it tonight or tomorrow...
Here are the pics:
Primer:
DSCN1037.jpg

Painted everything (interior green):
DSCN1040.jpg

Drybrushed everything with lighter version of interior green:
DSCN1042.jpg

Painted all the details + washed:
DSCN1045.jpg

DSCN1046.jpg

DSCN1047.jpg

Instrument panel (flat black, instruments dark gray, needles inside white, silver drybrush, drop of Pronto (Klear/Future) in every instrument):

2012-04-12233547.jpg

Tnx for looking and cheers!

Very crafty modifications! I completely dig your use of the Mr. Surfacer and your scratching of the seat belts. However I'm stumped. Did you drink the Coke first? Kidding aside...I gather you cut out the buckles from the can?

;D ;D Yeah lower two are from the can and upper two are from the wire... I prefer scratch building over buying PE or Resin parts. It looks better with aftermarket stuff but that feeling while you are making it is priceless (+ i have problems buying stuff over internet because i live in a $#|7hole country)

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

BTW i wanted to open one of the panels (small storage compartment on the fuselage) but i decided not to because one of the roundels goes over it and i don't have spare RAF decals... (Chris - thank you for your help anyway ;) it will be helpful in future builds).

EDIT: I just realized that i became "Recreational user" (50+ posts) - so excuse me, i am going somewhere to celebrate! Hahaha ;D

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back