P-40 Tomahawk "African Ace"

Thats looking very nice Flipflop :) great job masking the camo ,it came out very neat .

Chris.

Ok guys, i've got another update, this time it's serious because this bird is starting to look like something that would fly in North Africa in ww2.

Here goes, 5000 words:
2012-05-03232401.jpg

2012-05-03232444.jpg

2012-05-03232529.jpg

2012-05-03232615.jpg

2012-05-03232645.jpg

Chris: I sprayed Future and while it is shiny it still has some kind of grainy texture. Anyway, i am 80% satisfied as it is consistent and i didn't have any problems with the decals... Thanks again for your advices!

Cheers!

Nice work Flipflop ...very nice ,she looks great with the decals and spinner . Not sure why you are getting a grainy effect through the future ,maybe you sprayed it a little too light ? ,try to aim for a wet ,but not soaking coat .
Anyhoo ....she looks excellent ;)

Chris.

Hey FlipFlop, Don't forget that Future can take remove future. I'm not quite sure how you would remove it without damaging the underlying decals, but you could try to take of what you have now and re-spray it?

Either way, looking top notch!!!

@adam: No, it looks ok, i am satisfied, you can't really see it until you look at it close up and probably next coat will hide it.

@Chris: Yeah, i sprayed it lightly, i was afraid of wet coat. I'll try it on scrap first. Today i was like "let me try it on scrap piece first, naah, f$@! it..." lol ;D ;D

Cheers!

Update! I am rushing to finish this because my finals are coming so i'll have to study.

Today i sealed decals with another Future coat, sprayed mix of dark earth and middle stone to blend everything and weathered the plane with pastels. I don't know if you can see it on the photos but i have done heavy wash (i left as much as it was reasonable for North African aircraft)... That's because i like my planes like my women - dirty! lol ;D ;D

Anyhow, here are the photos and you be the judges:
2012-05-04213402.jpg

2012-05-05004926.jpg

2012-05-05004941.jpg

2012-05-05005457.jpg

2012-05-05005622.jpg

Also sharkmouth decals (left and right) didn't meet on the middle nicely so i repaired that with 00 brush...

Cheers!

Excellent work Flipflop , the panel lines have popped up nicely with the wash , great result ,a nice flat coat and she will look killer :)

Chris.

It's somehow easier for me when you approve Chris lol. I also learned how to spray Future - i was spraying too light coats before, yay! I still don't know whether i should finish it off in matt, semi-gloss or gloss... All reference photos i found are from refurbished P-40s and they are all shiny... I think i'll go with matt, those planes were exposed to the sun and sand all the time in Africa (my excuse ;D)...

The sun and the sand as you say did play havoc with the paint ,Matt would be a good choice ;) ,thanks for the kind words too :)

Chris.

Looks very nice. Putting a shark's mouth on anything cranks it to the super nice level, very cool 8)

nice work mate, I bult one of these a couple of months ago for my first aircarft build in about 30yrs. Realy nice kit good value

Thanks for your kind words guys, it is appreciated as always.

I am really sorry for not doing anything for past month or so but i've been super busy with studying and there was some contest in programming which took a lot of my free time. I will finish this in next 2 weeks or so i promise, there is no much work to be done anyway :)

Thanks for looking, cheers!

It'll be nice to see this one done ,she's looking good :) Nice to see you drop in too Flipflop ;)

Chris.

No need for apologies!

This is turning out to be an excellent model, I especially find the camo to be well done. I'm excited to see the final reveal! ;D

Ok guys, i finally finished this build. I fell down the stairs few days ago - hit my elbow and foot pretty badly so doing this was very frustrating experience (with 1.5 hands) but i managed to do it somehow. Anyway - without further ado here are the photos (because they are really bad i included with and without flash versions):

DSCN1092.jpg

DSCN1091.jpg

DSCN1089.jpg

DSCN1088.jpg

DSCN1087.jpg

DSCN1086.jpg

DSCN1085.jpg

DSCN1084.jpg

DSCN1082.jpg

DSCN1081.jpg

DSCN1080.jpg

DSCN1079.jpg

DSCN1078.jpg

DSCN1077.jpg

Thanks for following and cheers!

Good to see her finished Flipflop :) ....Looks great too buddy ,good luck with the comp .

Chris.

Latest posts

Back