Old male armour

Yikes! Just be thankful it didn't break off. It's bad enough but that would have been worse, my friend.

I need some of those thumb guards. Been there more times than I care to admit. Off to Amazon!

I did get my brown paint and decals on last night. One of the coolest things about living in the desert southwest is paint dries in a flash. Airbrushed paint in about 15 minutes and gloss and dull coat from a rattle can in about 10 minutes. I let the Vallejo paint dry for about an hour and a half while I was eating dinner before doing the decals. I also gave the gloss coat about 30 minutes just to be safe.

I managed to scuff the lower portion of the guard on the main gun. Figure it just adds some character.

BMK-018-L.jpg

BMK-018A-L.jpg
You can see the slight color variation in this photo. Like usual it looks better in person, it's hard to get a photo of a subtle effect like that at night.

BMK-019-L.jpg

Hope I can get my tracks to look half as good as GEG64's do.

I need some of those thumb guards. Been there more times than I care to admit. Off to Amazon!

I did get my brown paint and decals on last night. One of the coolest things about living in the desert southwest is paint dries in a flash. Airbrushed paint in about 15 minutes and gloss and dull coat from a rattle can in about 10 minutes. I let the Vallejo paint dry for about an hour and a half while I was eating dinner before doing the decals. I also gave the gloss coat about 30 minutes just to be safe.

I managed to scuff the lower portion of the guard on the main gun. Figure it just adds some character.

View attachment 113563

View attachment 113564
You can see the slight color variation in this photo. Like usual it looks better in person, it's hard to get a photo of a subtle effect like that at night.

View attachment 113565

Looking good, the scuff is just battle damage. Pantherman

Real tempted too!
I'm not sure what our next build will be. A few time we have built out of our normal kit and ventured into a couple of car-type vehicles (Adam 12, and a desert pink panther).
A couple of aircraft, a pink recon spitfire... there is a pink theme in thoes builds lol. We built a German tri-wing 1/48 (very tiny) and a large biplane.

We welcome everyone. It's a lot of fun as we chat back and forth and learn from one another.
Just kick-back, have fun, and enjoy.

View attachment 113563

View attachment 113564

View attachment 113565

I love the detail on your kit. I think this is the same model of tank used in an Indiana Jones movie. A formidable beast!

Thank you. I painted them in a dark German Grey then muddled them with a lighter Grey, possibly Panzer Grey. I used a Vallejo rust wash where the two tracks meet, couple of Tamiya powder trays, and a 9B graphite pencil on the tooth of each track. And lastly a drop of Vallejo black wash on all 552 bolt heads.
I dot the bolt heads on each track section then use a cotton swab lightly rolled over to remove excess paint
After that I went back with the graphite pencil once more.
It was fun.

You are more than welcome to join in and future builds as well.
I'm in! Something is just really appealing about building the first tank. I was able to find one pretty reasonably priced. Seemed like only eBay had them for about $70 with shipping but Andy's Hobby Headquarters has one for about $55 with shipping. Excited to join the build!

I'm in! Something is just really appealing about building the first tank. I was able to find one pretty reasonably priced. Seemed like only eBay had them for about $70 with shipping but Andy's Hobby Headquarters has one for about $55 with shipping. Excited to join the build!
Come on in and join the madness. It's great fun. Pantherman

Glad to have you aboard!

Glad to have you aboard!
Thanks! Can't wait to see this thing come together. Question for you - why did you make the textured surface on your build (looks good!)? I have been trying to research how it was manufactured and I haven't come up with much.

Thanks! Can't wait to see this thing come together. Question for you - why did you make the textured surface on your build (looks good!)? I have been trying to research how it was manufactured and I haven't come up with much.
Textured skin. I was watching a build on YouTube. The builder replicated what the skin might have looked like. I thought it looked realistic, so I attempted to do it as well.
It is done by using Tamiya Plastic Putty and a little water. Mix the two to the consistency of thin toothpaste – not thick or thin, but somewhere in the middle, brush it on the the parts (I usually prep and paint my parts on the trees) let that coat dry. Next I stippled the parts with a little bit thicker mixture. You'll just need to eyeball it to a consistency that you'll like, again not too thin and just a touch thicker than the brushed coat. After that dries you can, if you desire, knock all of the high points with the highest number sand paper, I used 2000 grit.
And there you have it, and ready for painting.

Unfortunately I could not find the video address to share.

These are pretty easy to build IMO. I have the Meng version of the Whippet. It's tempting to build that one next. I'm on a WW1 armor binge now. I managed to collect 19 WW1 armor kits. Most are armored cars, but had to get one of each of the main tanks I saw.

I did my interpretation of weathering for the Sania desert. Obviously haven't done the tracks yet, it's so cool how you can snap these on and off. Here's how it turned out, I'll list the steps I did at the bottom, I did not get real carried away on it. I'm going to use my old method on the tracks tonight but I'll try GEG64 method on the next tank. Wouldn't expect to see much rust color in the desert.

BMK-022-L.jpg

BMK-021-L.jpg

BMK-024-L.jpg

BMK-023-L.jpg

So I used the following to do the weathering. I'm a lazy weatherer, so I typically do all of my weathering over Testors dull coat so that is what I did here. The dull coat gives the paint some tooth. Of course panel liner and washes don't flow over it well, but I didn't use either of those strategies.

First - I did the sponge chipping method with some Vallejo camo Brown. Mostly on the edge of the very front and sponsons. This was used as a training tank before heading to the desert so I wanted it to show some wear but not a ton.

Second - I basically brush painted the entire vehicle with Vallejo dark Brown was. This serves as a panel liner and streaks and darkens the paint everywhere all at once and only takes about 20 minutes.

Third - Without any real drying time between I applied Vallejo Deset Dust Pigment to almost the entire model.
I also did some miscellaneous dark brow / black pigment where the ends of shafts mounts and on the track tensioner etc.

Really a pretty simple weathering job that I'm pretty happy with. I welcome and comments don't worry me getting upset, it just wont happen. I like trying different methods so my models look different.

Latest posts

Back