Oil/Enamel Paint Drying Time

andrei383

Hi all,

As im in the weathering stage of my Revell Luchs, it came to my attention that with the AK Interactive Enamel products and with oil methods, as they usually involve some sort of brushwork to fade them, im finding the previous layer of weathering either coming off or blending in with the new one.

So my question is, how long does it take for enamel and oil paints to fully dry so that the previous layer wont be completely stripped off and ruined? And do you have any advice when working in multiple layers so that i wont ruin the previous one?

thanks in advance! ;D

If you don't want the layers to merge ,you will need an acrylic clearcoat between each layer .It doesn't matter if the oils or AK are dry you will still pull it with the fresh coat .

Chris.

What Chris said. Solvents can reactivate cured coats.

Generally speaking, I've always heard enamels should be cured around 48 hours, though, you'll likely still smell an odor from them. Oils can take nearly forever to dry.

I usually let a blob of oil paint sit on a piece of cardboard for awhile before I thin it for weathering. This draws out much of the linseed oil used as a carrier for the pigment; it's the linseed oil that dries so painfully slow.
Ferdinand061.jpg

i always seal between coats this will safe any trouble later on even if u think it is dry enough

Latest posts

Back