Water mixable oil color

Jeffro 50

Hello everyone, Hope everybody is having a good day so far.I've got a question concerning this water mixable oil color paint that I've purchased (hoping to achieve a weathering effect on a Corsair that my son and I are building.)
Question: Can this be mixed with mineral spirits? Or can I just thin way down with water and produce the same results?? We are new to scale Modeling and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

20231012_014712.jpg

It's compatible with mineral spirits .
You can thin it with water or mineral spirits . For something like a wash you'll probably get better results using mineral spirits .
Experiment on some scrap material so you have a good feel for how it performs .

Good info on everything about the water miscible oils :

It's compatible with mineral spirits . You can thin it with water or mineral spirits . For something like a wash you'll probably get better results using mineral spirits . Experiment on some scrap material so you have a good feel for how it performs . Good info on everything about the water miscible oils : Awesome, THANKS Uru!
I'll be sure and check the video out.

Hello everyone, Hope everybody is having a good day so far.I've got a question concerning this water mixable oil color paint that I've purchased (hoping to achieve a weathering effect on a Corsair that my son and I are building.)
Question: Can this be mixed with mineral spirits? Or can I just thin way down with water and produce the same results?? We are new to scale Modeling and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

View attachment 107361

I have been using these almost exclusively for weathering and have used it interchangeably with both water and "mineral spirits" (for me, technically Weber Odorless Turpenoid)

i.e. apart from being mixable/cleaned with water, you can use any other oil paint medium/thinner you would use with other oils as well since these paints work and act the same otherwise. They are indeed oil paints after all

I feel like water is good enough to start with, unless you are going really thin as the water typically takes longer to evaporate than the turpenoid and sometimes can have a different surface tension if your using it for a pin wash type of thing

However, I find if I really need to remove/clean an area, the turpenoid does a bit better than just the water

of course the whole purpose for me was to minimize toxic fumes

yes Weber Odorless Turpenoid is odorless, but still just as toxic as regular stuff, you just don't smell it. I guess in some ways that might actually make it worse as you have less of a gauge on how much fumes you are inhaling. But still, I find it not quite as hot as other mineral spirits and less harsh on the Bandai plastic compared to something like mineral spirits in something like Tamiya Panel liner

There are a lot of things called "mineral spirits"

I have been using these almost exclusively for weathering and have used it interchangeably with both water and "mineral spirits" (for me, technically Weber Odorless Turpenoid) i.e. apart from being mixable/cleaned with water, you can use any other oil paint medium/thinner you would use with other oils as well since these paints work and act the same otherwise. They are indeed oil paints after all I feel like water is good enough to start with, unless you are going really thin as the water typically takes longer to evaporate than the turpenoid and sometimes can have a different surface tension if your using it for a pin wash type of thing However, I find if I really need to remove/clean an area, the turpenoid does a bit better than just the water of course the whole purpose for me was to minimize toxic fumes yes Weber Odorless Turpenoid is odorless, but still just as toxic as regular stuff, you just don't smell it. I guess in some ways that might actually make it worse as you have less of a gauge on how much fumes you are inhaling. But still, I find it not quite as hot as other mineral spirits and less harsh on the Bandai plastic compared to something like mineral spirits in something like Tamiya Panel liner There are a lot of things called "mineral spirits"

Thanks for the wealth of information Blakeh! I will give it a try and see how it turns out. I APPRECIATE your help and insight on this! Best Regards!

Latest posts

Back