NYLON GAG MK 1 - FINISHED

Re: NYLON GAG MK 1?

ModelMakerMike said:
SOOOOO........ Something monumental NEEDS to happen upon completion of this beast!
It has been such a part of everyone's life for so many years now, that we should send her off properly!
We SHOULD have a "Launch" party or something!
Personally I am still kinda on the fence as to whether or not it will actually be finished in my lifetime. ;) j/k.
Since I have used all known expletives in regards to this......."build", and that word seems rather inadequate.... That I have put my Research and development team on coming up with new ways in which to express my shock and awe..... The one that they emailed me this morning is:
"CHEESE and RICE!"
So, make of that what you will.
I LOVE this magnificent thing you are making!!!!!! Keep it up!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Mike

"Cheese and Rice" thats a new one for sure buddy.

I'm hoping to be finished in time for the IPMS show in Orlando on the 28th - 29th of September so if you or any Herd members can get there we can give it a real launch party, with more than just cheese and rice ;D, perhaps a some bangers, mash and Booze :p

Gag

Hee Hee --
I'm more worried that you think it looks like an electric meter ;D
;D Sorry , man -- didn't know what to call it . .. maybe we'll call it a "nipple " ... This is all totally subjective . I really like the trailing edge details but that " meter " just stands out :p and especially now that it's hi-lited with those colors .
It sounds like quite a lot of painting/washing/filters/weathering are planned so it's impossible to comment right now .
the grey will be considerably darker with a few washes plus
--Think that is really the gist of what I see rite now as an issue ,, the contrast

Having limited skills myself, it would be silly of me to attempt being a critic. I'm in awe of your skills brother. I'm sure "fresh" eyes can guide you to a better paint job and there's an abundance of talented folk here that can do that. As for me....I'm just digging the build and learning from some of the most talented folk ( through the photo's and step by step progressions) around.

Your build is impressive. Can't wait to see her all dressed up and ready for the limelight!

Great Job on this build!

This build is AMAZING!!
Every update I see leaves me open mouthed and now its bein painted. The scratch skills alone are enough to drive me insane with jealousy. Hats off to you sir.

I think it's looking really great Gag. Love the contrast between the flat and the shiny.

Only thing I would do is to mask off a small few of the flat grey panels, here and there, and paint em different...to appear replaced.

She's really coming along.

I don't have any suggestions because I think it looks terrific. Keep doing what you're doing. You can blend it all together when you weather it.

This is looking very awesome indeed Toe. :)

RedDragon62 said:
Having limited skills myself, it would be silly of me to attempt being a critic. I'm in awe of your skills brother. I'm sure "fresh" eyes can guide you to a better paint job and there's an abundance of talented folk here that can do that. As for me....I'm just digging the build and learning from some of the most talented folk ( through the photo's and step by step progressions) around.

Your build is impressive. Can't wait to see her all dressed up and ready for the limelight!

Great Job on this build!

Thanks Mr R Dragon62, appreciate you stopping by, i can't wait either, i haven't actually had it all together all at the same time myself so it will be a first for all of us.

Dark Kyp said:
really tasty! :eek:

What, the Cheese and Rice Mike was talking about. ;D Thank Kypster dude.

Kila2000 said:
This build is AMAZING!!
Every update I see leaves me open mouthed and now its bein painted. The scratch skills alone are enough to drive me insane with jealousy. Hats off to you sir.

Thanks mate, i love your avitar by the way.
Is it Mr Bean on Pandora, brilliant ;D

Scott Girvan said:
I think it's looking really great Gag. Love the contrast between the flat and the shiny.

Only thing I would do is to mask off a small few of the flat grey panels, here and there, and paint em different...to appear replaced.

She's really coming along.

Thank's Boss Man
I was planning to go over random panels before the weathering with various light colour washes to give the replaced or repainted look, even do a few with a different colour altogether.
I appreciate your input boss, thanks mate.

Igard said:
I don't have any suggestions because I think it looks terrific. Keep doing what you're doing. You can blend it all together when you weather it.

This is looking very awesome indeed Toe. :)

Thank you so much my friend.
I'm a bit nervous about the weathering because in the past i have always gone to heavy and the overall apearance has darkened it so much all the detail and realism is lost. I have to just take it slowly and build the layers.

Plus my next problem is the wing top pattern, i want to ask the members what they think.
Here is a picture of my inspiration for the colours on the wing top design. Now i don't want as much coverage as on this ship but i do want to go with a 'design or pattern',

rr02_backwing_01.jpg

rr02_cockpit_01.jpg

rr02_front_01.jpg

This is from a guy called Colie Wertz, he did some of the concept art for the Star Wars Prequels.
Have a look at his web site

http://coliewertz.com/

He does some very cool stuff.
I'm even thinking of scratch building his motorcycle design at some point.

Like i said i don't want to cover the entire wing.
The front leading edge will be painted with alclad II chrome and the design will be behind that some how?

Any input you guys have would be great
More WIP progress pics soon

Stay tuned

Take care

Gagsterman

Evenin All,

Had a very busy weekend on the MK.1

The painting continues, lets have a look see

I did some prep for the hitch 'dumbell'

This is going to be painted with Alclad chrome so first i had to get all the pieces together
A washing up bottle lid, two vodka pouring spouts, hollowed out and put back to back and two clear christmas tree decorations, one with a hole all the way through and the other with just a hole one side.

I then sanded the balls to remove seam lines and give them a uniform finish.

Picture%2520108.jpg

Picture%2520110.jpg

Then hit them with primer, Mmmmmmmmmmm primer

Picture%2520117.jpg

And finally with Alclad gloss black

Picture%2520145.jpg

I then did a bit of detail painting of the pump assembly on the top of the wing.
I first masked of the area

Picture%2520120.jpg

Then painted the whole thing with Titanium silver, i then picked out the details with gold, black, copper, steel and chrome silver

Picture%2520124.jpg

Next was the main wing top panels but first i had to attach the rear flap assemblies, i did this with some tiny screws. I was during this process i discovered that i had lost one of my small assemblies designed to hide the large screw that holds the engine fairing on. i looked everywhere but couldn't find it so i had to make some new ones from tubing and some styrene detail pieces and a tank track

After i gave it a coat of flat black it blends in ok, you can see the screw but it doesn't look to bad

Picture%2520111.jpg

Picture%2520112.jpg

Then it was on with the main panels, the idea was to mask off different sets and hit them with a different process and colour combo each time.

I first did some of the flap control details.

Mask

Picture%2520121.jpg

Paint with A mix of Titanium silver some gold with a splash of chrome silver

Picture%2520126.jpg

Next set,
mask

Picture%2520127.jpg

Paint with metallic grey around the edges and over the pipes, that were also masked, followed by chrome silver in the middle working out then a very light dusting with steel and silver mix then another edge pass and i also picked out some details with flat black

Picture%2520130.jpg

Remove masking

Picture%2520131.jpg

Next set,
Mask

Picture%2520132.jpg

Paint with metallic grey mainly on the front and outer edges of the panels and again over the pipes and flat aluminium in the center working out

Picture%2520137.jpg

De-mask,
It looks very harsh in the pictures but in real life its a very subtle look with a slight difference from one set of panels to the other

Picture%2520138.jpg

Then it was on to the leading edge of both the main and front wings with a few panels on the engine fairings and around the side intakes

Mask and first coat with Alclad gloss black

Picture%2520139.jpg

Picture%2520151.jpg

Picture%2520147.jpg

Then a layer of Alclad chrome.

Picture%2520154.jpg

Picture%2520155.jpg

Picture%2520156.jpg

Then this morning i removed all the masking and put the cockpit and radar assemblies on.

Picture%2520160.jpg

Picture%2520161.jpg

Picture%2520162.jpg

Picture%2520166.jpg

Did a few panels with different shades (mainly to hide a few sections of over spray) and finished the rear flaps with matallic grey edges and flat aluminium centers with a bit of shading with flat black.

And this is what i've got now.

Picture%2520191.jpg

Picture%2520193.jpg

Picture%2520195.jpg

Next is to hit a few random panels with a brown wash mix.

But thats next time

Stay tuned my friends

Take care

Gagster

[attachment deleted by admin]

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!!!!! ;D

I'm happy to be sitting right now, 'cause I would have felt on the floor! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Amazing dude! :eek:

Latest posts

Back