NYLON GAG MK 1 - FINISHED

Re: NYLON GAG MK 1?

Epic build ......... ;D Amazing detail.... Super 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Morning Everyone,

Thanks for stopping by and for the comments.

So, everybody ready, this is gunna go fast so hold on tight, keep your arms inside the vehicle,
Oh and there will be a quiz later ;D

Friday I continued to apply the hairspray and salt on the underside.

Picture%2520002.jpg

Picture%2520005.jpg

Picture%2520003.jpg

I then sprayed each panel individually with my base colour, Flat white, light grey, crome silver and a spot of buff, starting in the center working outwards.
This took about 4,1/2 hours with a few breaks to let my compressor cool down.

Picture%2520006.jpg

Picture%2520008.jpg

Picture%2520011.jpg

Picture%2520015.jpg

When the paint was dry I removed the salt with a stiff brush and various tooth pick/chop sticks, this took me about 3 hours and was a bit fiddly to get all the salt out of all the nooks and crannies, I got most of it, I think ::).
The overall effect is very subtle but I was going for the 'less is more' look, with a couple of washes I think it will look ok.

Picture%2520016.jpg

Picture%2520017.jpg

Picture%2520019.jpg

I did the same on the canopy frame and added the Outside Thingy's (technical term)

Picture%2520038.jpg

Picture%2520039.jpg

Picture%2520040.jpg

Last night I masked and painted various small pieces.

Airlock door seal

Picture%2520041.jpg

Picture%2520049.jpg

Some underwing deflectors

Picture%2520042.jpg

Picture%2520043.jpg

Two panels on the inside of the canopy frame

Picture%2520044.jpg

The thingy mounting points on the canopy glass

Picture%2520046.jpg

Picture%2520047.jpg

And two panels on the underside of the wings that will get tubing added over the top later.

Picture%2520050.jpg

Thats all so far.
Progress seems very slow to me at the mo and I am still losing sleep over the final pattern, I have the colours but nothing is really clicking so far.
I think i will just have to focus on the top panelling first and worry about that when its time.

Anyhoo, till next time

Take care

Gag

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this Toe, I'm getting close to a return to modelling now so I might be around a bit more now hopefully!

Absolutely gobsmackingly fantastic mate! Paint is going beautifully, really loving the salt effect you got there!

shocked_02176.gif
shocked_02176.gif
shocked_02176.gif
shocked_02176.gif
shocked_02176.gif
shocked_02176.gif
shocked_02176.gif
shocked_02176.gif
shocked_02176.gif
shocked_02176.gif

Afternoon Peeps

Thanks for stopping by everyone

Masking, painting, masking, painting, masking, painting......etc.

Pix

Picture%2520055.jpg

Picture%2520056.jpg

Picture%2520058.jpg

Picture%2520060.jpg

Wanted the cut out to be a bit different from everything else.
A pre-shade with flat black

Picture%2520061.jpg

Then a base coat from the center of each panel with Titanium silver (X-32) and a very fine dust with Crome silver (X-11)

Picture%2520062.jpg

Picture%2520063.jpg

Masking removed

Picture%2520067.jpg

Then did a bit more work on the Airlock also gave this a quick blast with the Titanium silver and a bit of fine shading with some flat black

Picture%2520068.jpg

Removed the masking and did some detail painting with a brush

Picture%2520073.jpg

Then applied masking for the other part of the cutout

Picture%2520069.jpg

Then a very similar process as before, pre-shade

Picture%2520076.jpg

Then fill in each panel from the center out again, this time with metallic grey (XF-56) and a light dust with Crome silver (X-11)

Picture%2520080.jpg

Then free handed some exhaust outlet pipes

Picture%2520081.jpg

Picture%2520082.jpg

Then i started pre-shading the sides and the front winglets ready for their 'panelling' to be painted

Picture%2520083.jpg

Picture%2520084.jpg

Noticed a tiny bit of overspray on the underside so i wraped her up this time.

Picture%2520087.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the progress so far, i'm just experiencing some problems with my airbrush spitting water when it gets to hot, i have a separator, which i drain regularly but it doesn't seem to help

Picture.jpg

But anyhoo, if the problem persists i'll go and get my craftsman from the garage, that has a tank and a regulator, because at this stage i cant have water stains spoiling me paint job ;D

Take care

Gag

[attachment deleted by admin]

looks like you have an investment with a masking tape company ... nice work ... looks like your painting skills reflect your scratchbuilding ... out of this world ... keep it up mate ...

SOOOOO........ Something monumental NEEDS to happen upon completion of this beast!
It has been such a part of everyone's life for so many years now, that we should send her off properly!
We SHOULD have a "Launch" party or something!
Personally I am still kinda on the fence as to whether or not it will actually be finished in my lifetime. ;) j/k.
Since I have used all known expletives in regards to this......."build", and that word seems rather inadequate.... That I have put my Research and development team on coming up with new ways in which to express my shock and awe..... The one that they emailed me this morning is:
"CHEESE and RICE!"
So, make of that what you will.
I LOVE this magnificent thing you are making!!!!!! Keep it up!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Morning Everyone

Thanks for stopping by to Mask-Fest 2013,

Quaralane said:
A lot of masking work now.
COming along nicely

RedDragon62 said:
Now that's a lot of masking!

cobraleader said:
looks like you have an investment with a masking tape company

I'm seriously regretting not buying shares at this point. ;D

I don't know how many rolls i've used, all i know is i've bought three in the last 4 weeks.

On with the mask..........I mean painting. ;D

Because i'm heavy handed and rubbish at painting i managed to obliterate my pre-shading.
So, i decided to change my plans and just build up 'metalised' panel details on the outer engine support then go in with a brush to pick out smaller details.

Titanium silver
Pre-shade,

Now you see it.

Picture%2520088.jpg

Now you don't

Picture%2520089.jpg

Flat aluminium

Picture%2520091.jpg

Crome silver

Picture%2520093.jpg

Also did a gun metal pass but didn't take a picture

I then i brushed steel, bright brass and gold to pick out various details.

I removed all the masking and was left with this.
A good base for the weathering but not 100% sure i like it. ::)

Picture%2520096.jpg

Picture%2520098.jpg

Picture%2520103.jpg

The leading edge panel on both the main wings and front wings will be done with alclad chrome, also a few of the leading edge panels on the engine fairing will also be alclad.

I think the contrast will look cool between the chipped grey and the raw metal panels finish and the bright polished leading edge on top of that there will be a 2 coloured pattern on the upper wing surfaces the design of which is still undecided.

What do you guys think, do you think i should overspray the sides with more chipped grey or leave it as is?

I do like that its a bit different and not your average space ship grey, but does it look 'wrong'?

Let me know what you think because I am on the fence a bit with this and would appreciate some input.

That's all for now folks

Till next time, take care

Gag out.
(heavy Weight Masking Champion of the World)

[attachment deleted by admin]

All right ,
I'll go first ::) .
Personally , I think you need more contrast with the engine exhaust mechanics and I think your new colors contrast too much and hi-lite the wrong pieces .
always sux to criticize , :p , ...and it's totally subjective .
.... my eye is drawn to the ' electric meter ' on the engine -- don't know if you want that ...
Love ,
Uru

I think once you start weathering it it will all tie in lovely, your doing a great job man. It certainly looks 'right' to me, and all those different shades of silver, grey etc is hard to control. Get off the fence there's painting to be done!

urumomo said:
All right ,
I'll go first ::) .
Personally , I think you need more contrast with the engine exhaust mechanics and I think your new colors contrast too much and hi-lite the wrong pieces .
always sux to criticize , :p , ...and it's totally subjective .
.... my eye is drawn to the ' electric meter ' on the engine -- don't know if you want that ...
Love ,
Uru

Thanks Uru

I appreciate your honest buddy, i don't think of it as criticism, i think of it as helpful observations, i've looked at this thing for going on two years I'm sure there are things i don't even notice anymore, you guys have fresher eyes than me and are able to give me better ideas because of that, so don't stress mate ;D

Couple of things i need to expain though,

"I think you need more contrast with the engine exhaust mechanics"

These exhaust mechanics, as you call them, will be high lighted at a later stage, i have plans, don't worry my friend, the mechanics will be brought to life more during the weathering process with a few detail touch ups, and don't forget they aren't exhaust pieces, there is another main engine piece that goes inside the fairing, i think i called these stearing flaps or something, but you are right the machanics do need work and they will recieve it during the weathering phase.

I was really talking about the side of the fairing support or pylon I suppose it is, its these colours I'm interested in.

What is the ' electric meter ' piece, do you mean the ship turret with the strobe assembly do-dads on top, I'm more worried that you think it looks like an electric meter ;D

Keep the ideas coming mate and thanks for the reply, much appreciated

Gag

JohnSimmons said:
I think once you start weathering it it will all tie in lovely, your doing a great job man. It certainly looks 'right' to me, and all those different shades of silver, grey etc is hard to control. Get off the fence there's painting to be done!

Thanks Jonny Boy,

I think your right, with weathering it should bring to together more, the grey will be considerably darker with a few washes plus the colours i'm using for the top wing design are quite bright and with the alclad crome on the front of the fairing and on the edge of the wing top i think it will look very interesting and unique

Gag

JohnSimmons said:

I too agree with this, what you have done so far looks fine to me.

Latest posts

Back