My Special Top 5 must build list

The Nylon Gag

Me again,

I returned to modelling in 2011 after about a 15-20 year hiatus and at the ripe old age of 44 I have decided to focus my attention on only those models that I have always wanted to build because they have significance for me.

I'm currently working on one of my dream projects which is to scratch build an original space ship, when that is finished i will be starting on one of the models on this list.

I decided to pick one subject from each category :

AIRCRAFT:

Grumman F14a Tomcat

I have always loved this aircraft since i was a wee lad. Long before it became popular because of TopGun, I met an F14 pilot at a local airshow and he gave me an autographed Tomcat sticker and also there were only a few other planes that could beat it in the card game of Top Trumps, a truly versitle and iconic aircraft plus it just looks so bada$$ to me.

MILITARY:

Vickers Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank.

The company i used to work for in England was responsable for making a key component for this tank so i have always wanted to make one.

AUTO:

Williams FW14B Formula 1 car.

The Williams factory is in Grove, Oxfordshire which is where my Aunty lives, it is about 25miles from my home town in England.
Also, the FW14B is one of the most advanced F1 cars ever made using active ride suspension and semi-automatic gearbox and lots of other computer controlled gizmo's, and it looks in my opinoin like an F1 car should, very very fast.

WATERCRAFT:

HMS Victory.

This is one of the most significant ships in British Naval history. In school we did a project on the Battle of Trafalgar, involving a play about the battle and focusing on Nelsons last hours and on the ship itself.
We went to visit the HMS Victory in drydock in Portsmouth, England. Even at such a young age i was struck by two things, how horrific it must of been to fight in such conditions on such a ship, they look big but in reality they are tiny inside and the level of craftmanship of the boat that was build so long ago (1756).

SCI-FI:

Y-wing.

I thought this was the coolest ship in the whole of the Star Wars universe, 9 year old me always thought the X-wing was overrated and just not as groovy as the Y, also it had two massive great engines on it so it had to be faster, right? I just prefered the over all aesthetic shape of the ship.

I really want to build all of these in large scales, i have the 1/12th Williams FW14B from Tamiya in my stash, but the other things have yet to be purchased. I will get the 1/32nd Tomcat from Tamiya, the 1/35th Challenger 2 also from Tamiya, the Victory has several possibilities but i'm not sure which to go for. The Y-wing isn't availiable in a large studio scale kit, unless anyone has any suggestions, i don't really want to go as small as 1/48th so the Finemolds is out, 1/32nd, go big or go home.

Do you have a Special Top 5 Must build list i would be interested to see it.

Gag

I recently built the F-14A VF-111 Sundowners kit. It's an Academy 1:48 scale model. First off, what a great kit. I highly recommend it. But the 1:48 scale is massive. There is a 1:72 F-14D Pumpkin Face that I really want to build. But it's about $70. Pretty expensive for a 1:72 scale.

My is the following:
- FineMolds 1/72 Millenium Falcon.
- FineMolds 1/72 Slave I.
- Blue Moon 1/350 Tantive IV.
- 1/350 Radiant VII.
- The new 2009 Star Trek version of Enterprise (to be released soon be Revell, I'm literary itching to grab a couple, maybe even three for kitbashing the interpretations from original movies)

i have teh williams Fw14b 1/12 i bought it in 1993 or 4 i think ill do it one day :D

Here are my pics...

1/32 Tamiya Mustang (the only one on my that I actually have)
1/32 Tamiya F-4E Phantom
1/20 Fujimi Williams FW16B
1/20 Fujimi Ferrari 126C2
1/72 Railgun (Dora)

My top five -

1/72 Flower Class Corvette (in my stash now)
1/72 Dora (in bound for my stash)
1/72 U Boat (working on it)
a D Day Dio in 1/35 (hitting the beach head)
and this is a long shot, but something that keeps crossing my mind a collection of smaller dio's in 1/35 of "snap shots" of a hypothetical 1/35 bunker/compound where the Nazis would of been hiding all their super weapons/super natural/super human/black magic stuff and doing the development, testing etc (think of Wolfenstein - meets styrene) ;D

But first I need to get that buggy I started for the Apocalypse GB done, damn it has been hard to string together more than about three minutes of free time here lately! Hoping to get some desk time in with the up coming four day weekend. Four days off, and if I don't get some desk time this time, I am going to poop a brick! :mad:

Emhar 1/35 Mark IV WWI Male Tank
Emhar 1/35 Mark IV WWI Female Tank
Airfix 1/24 Mosquito(for when my skills improve)
An F-22 of some description and scale
An A-10 of some description and scale

I don't have any of them as yet but it gives me some thing to aspire towards buying when I allow my self to buy kits again

Right now, for me that top five list looks some thing like this;

1. Fine Molds 1:72 Millenium Falcon
2. Wing Nut Wings 1:32 Gotha G.IV
3. Revell 1:32 He 219 (I have that one)
3. Eduard 1:48 Bf 109 E1 (and an E4, and maybe an E7)
3. Eduard (soon to be released) 1:48 Spitfire IXc
3. Eduard 1:48 F6F-5N
4. GWH 1:48 MiG 29
4. Kittyhawk 1:48 Jaguar GR1
5. Italeri 1:72 Short Sunderland

I think that just about does it... ;D

Nice idea of a thread Gag. Wow what to build for top 5, pretty daunting. You know what I'm a Sci Fi guy so mine will look like this in no particular order.
1. 2256 Star Destroyer
2. SS X-Wing
3. SS Y-Wing
4. 1/350 Enterprise refit
5. 1/350 K'Tinga if it ever comes to pass.

Latest posts

Back