Monogram '69 Dodge 440 Six Pack

Elm City Hobbies

OK, now that my SMA build is done and submitted, I have decided that no more new kits being started until I get a least 2-3 partial builds finished. That and I need something I can finish quickly for another show coming up in mid July.

I started this kit probably at least 8 yrs ago. Interior, chassis, engine, etc, are all finished, but I screwed up the paint job on the body badly, lots of runs. Should have known better than to use a spray can auto paint from our local Canadian Tire (for those in the US and the rest of the world, Canadian Tire is sort of a cross between a dept. store, sporting goods store, hardware store and automotive parts/repair store).

So into a Tupperware container with some Castrol SuperClean it went.......8yrs ago. 2 moves later, and a few years gone by, the CSC has long since evaporated out of the container, so I figured the paint that was still left on the body was rock hard and going to be hard to come off. Take it out of the container, run my nail across the paint (which feels clammy to start with), and it easily peels off. So grab an old toothbrush and head to the sink, and proceed to easily scrub off the old paint and primer, and was left with this:

IMG_3027-vi.jpg

IMG_3028-vi.jpg

I didn't strip the hood as it didn't really need it. As you can see the body came out pretty clean, there were some weird swirl marks on the roof, and some patches of paint that didn't come off in the sink, so I went at it with some 600grit paper, and smoothed everything up, and ready for primer and paint again!

Here is the chassis and engine area:

IMG_3022-vi.jpg

IMG_3023-vi.jpg

IMG_3024-vi.jpg

Close up of the driver's side of the engine showing the scratchbuilt throttle return spring.

IMG_3025-vi.jpg

And close up of the passenger side of the engine showing the scratchbuilt fuel blocks and lines going to the carbs, fuel line coming off of the fuel pump and going back to the gas tank, spark plug wires, and if you look closely, you will even notice an oil dipstick! Crazy part is, I don't remember doing those mods! LOL

IMG_3026-vi.jpg

And the candidates to paint the car.

IMG_3029-vi.jpg

I really wanted to paint it the Sassy Grass Green, however it was a Plymouth color (and this is a Dodge) however through some research I found that Dodge Green Go, was actually the same color, just the Dodge version of it. Only problem being is that the color was never offered until 1970, and this is a 1969.

So on to a couple of other colors I have, Plymouth Vitamin C, again a Plymouth color, but Dodge Go Mango is the same color, and was available in '69, the other color is Dodge Butterscotch (which would be the same as Plymouth Bahama Yellow) which was also available in '69.

Personally I am leaning more towards the the Butterscotch, with the Superbee stripes on the trunk, kinda like this:

1969-dodge_super_bee.jpg

The Vitamin C/Go Mango would look something like this:

69SuperBee440SixPack-Orange.jpg

While the orange would stand out, I am digging the Butterscotch.

Certified shelf queen right there...

Good to see you bringing it back to life, can't go wrong with either colour, I think orange would be most people's first choice, so the butterscotch will add a nice touch of individuality. Looking forward to seeing it done.

I haven't seen that brand of paint before do they cater only to auto colours?

rookie said:
Certified shelf queen right there...

Good to see you bringing it back to life, can't go wrong with either colour, I think orange would be most people's first choice, so the butterscotch will add a nice touch of individuality. Looking forward to seeing it done.

I haven't seen that brand of paint before do they cater only to auto colours?

It is made in the US, and I as Elm City Hobbies have just become a CDN dealer for them, since I am in a unique situation that I can have it mailed to a PO Box in the US, and import them myself, otherwise they can't be mailed outside of the US because they are solvent based. Well, I say can't be mailed....if you want to spend the money to have them shipped UPS or Fed Ex, and pay exorbitant shipping fees, but otherwise hard to get.

He does have, a military line, mostly just the most popular FS colors, however you have to keep in mind that these are enamels, and they are pre-thinned for airbrushing only....way too thin for brush painting. The upside, there isn't many colors he can't get, so for factory colors for street going cars and race cars....there is this guy and Zero Paints that have about the best selection.

OK well after a long hiatus from this. Primed the original body, sanded it out and sanded through on a couple of spots. Figured I would press on and see if the paint would cover it.

A calamity of errors ensued, first press of the airbrush trigger and it is spitting out paint in bigger droplets. clean that up some, and try again, paint just didn't seem to want to come out as it should, but I pressed on.

Paint was coming out bad, spitting until I upped the airpressure well past where was recommended for the paint, and to no avail, still crappy job and wasn't covering the spots I burnt through to the blue plastic well enough. So I stopped, faced with the prospect of having to strip the body of this kit a 2nd time, I looked up and realized I had another kit the same as this one, just it was molded in white instead of blue, so at least one stepped saved in not having to strip it and start over, just clean up and prime the white body.

So did that, waited a few days, and gave the prime a light sanding under water with some 4000 grit sanding pad, and hit it with color today.

Color is Scale Finishes Dodge Butterscotch Yellow. I for sure need more practice with the paint, but for the most part it went down smooth, 3 light coats to give coverage and then 2 heavier coats about 15mins apart to bring out the gloss. Now to let it sit so I can give it a polish.

Should have waited and cleaned out my paint booth, as per Murphy's law, dust is attracted to fresh paint, but should be able to buff it out....hopefully.

In the mean time....here are a couple of shots.

IMG_4366-vi.jpg

IMG_4367-vi.jpg

Deal is to get it finished for our local club meeting next Tuesday, might be close in actually being able to do that, really depends on how fast the paint cures. May wait till the paint is past the tacky point and put it out by the wood stove. Heat from the stove should help cure the paint faster. Not too close to the stove though!!

Latest posts

Back