Revell 96 Dodge Ram VTS (Viper Truck) refresh

Jon Mopar

Hey folks. I thought I’d make my first post. I built this kit 20-25 years ago, and it was actually my 2nd attempt…my first was of the identical kit when it initially released a couple years prior I believe, but that one was a total glue bomb… in my defence I was still new to the hobby.

Anyway long story short, although I did a decent job for a young model builder, and was initially proud of it, after a couple of years I became embarrassed to show it, as the paint only looked good from about 6 feet away. Recently I’ve been on a big kick to get back into the hobby and finish up projects that I left on the shelf for years…so I took this one down, re-sprayed it and put it back together. I left the interior detailing and everything else as-is, because it tells a story and has history of a time many years ago when I was learning the hobby…and I didn’t do a half bad job for being fairly new to it

It started off a deep wine burgundy (Cranberry ). I repainted it in deep Viper GTS Blue Pearl . The interior and other detailing was originally done in Testors. I blacked out the headlights because that was the cool thing to do in the 1990s lol

IMG_3569.jpeg
IMG_3315.jpeg
IMG_3332.jpeg
IMG_3322.jpeg
IMG_3340.jpeg
IMG_3327.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey folks. I thought I’d make my first post. I built this kit 20-25 years ago, and it was actually my 2nd attempt…my first was of the identical kit when it initially released a couple years prior I believe, but that one was a total glue bomb… in my defence I was still new to the hobby.

Anyway long story short, although I did a decent job for a young model builder, and was initially proud of it, after a couple of years I became embarrassed to show it, as the paint only looked good from about 6 feet away. Recently I’ve been on a big kick to get back into the hobby and finish up projects that I left on the shelf for years…so I took this one down, re-sprayed it and put it back together. I left the interior detailing and everything else as-is, because it tells a story and has history of a time many years ago when I was learning the hobby…and I didn’t do a half bad job for being fairly new to it

It started off a deep wine burgundy (Cranberry ). I repainted it in deep Viper GTS Blue Pearl . The interior and other detailing was originally done in Testors. I blacked out the headlights because that was the cool thing to do in the 1990s lol

View attachment 115014
View attachment 115020
View attachment 115013
View attachment 115016
View attachment 115017
View attachment 115018
View attachment 115021
Loving the deep blue gloss. Pantherman

View attachment 115014
View attachment 115020
View attachment 115013
View attachment 115016
View attachment 115017
View attachment 115018
View attachment 115021
Thos is a fantastic build. I love that blue. What type and brand of paint it that? I really like the metallic glitter!
I look forward to more of your builds.

Welcome back to the hobby.

Thanks for the feedback folks!
Thos is a fantastic build. I love that blue. What type and brand of paint it that? I really like the metallic glitter!
I look forward to more of your builds.

Welcome back to the hobby.

That’s actually SprayMax aerosol filled with PBE 1996 Dodge Viper GTS Blue (what the real one was painted), which my local auto-paint shop mixed for me. They’re a PPG and House of Kolor dealer, so I get my all automotive blends from them. Clear coat was by Dominion Sure Seal. With metallics, I prefer using base & clear

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback folks!

That’s actually SprayMax aerosol filled with PBE 1996 Dodge Viper GTS Blue (what the real one was painted), which my local auto-paint shop mixed for me. They’re a PPG and House of Kolor dealer, so I get my all automotive blends from them. Clear coat was by Dominion Sure Seal. With metallics, I prefer using base & clear
Very nice truck!

Latest posts

Back