"Mongoose" dragster

StyreneStylist

hey guys, started on this kit. love those 70's nitro monsters!

IMG_1606.jpg

I got the body painted and polished up.
frame and seat are painted also

IMGP4525.jpg

IMGP4517.jpg

IMGP4520.jpg

IMGP4528.jpg

IMGP4529.jpg

Nice work with the Dragster so far! Really like these QuarterMilers. Excellent paint job on the body and tires look fantastic too. I'll be following!

I've seen this kit on the rack and it looks like fun. I have one of the Swamp Rats in my stack of stuff to get to.
Is the metal work paint on stripped plastic? If so , what paint did you use to replicate the metal look on the wheels and that panel behind the cockpit? What about the body work, is that striping paint or decals?

Dale

scaledale said:
I've seen this kit on the rack and it looks like fun. I have one of the Swamp Rats in my stack of stuff to get to.
Is the metal work paint on stripped plastic? If so , what paint did you use to replicate the metal look on the wheels and that panel behind the cockpit? What about the body work, is that striping paint or decals?

Dale

the wheels are the kit "chrome" just weathered with oil paints. the panel behind the driver I made from aluminum.

the body work is painted white. everything else is a decal.

Holy decals batman. Great work with those. Your oil/ chrome looks great man. Sweet technique.

got started painting the engine. I was originally going to use the wires/hoses that come with the kit but decided to just make my own.

I weathered the engine block but it doesn't show up in the pics at all. kinda made the paint worn looking from high heat .

IMGP4531.jpg

IMGP4537.jpg

i added a few wires.
the 2 braided fuel lines i made from mini blind cord and the fittings are just wire insulation.

IMGP4544.jpg

IMGP4543.jpg

IMGP4540.jpg

Fantastic work as usual James , That engine is just outstanding !!! ...Love it .

Chris.

Sweet build! And boy, does that take me back, too, built the Mongoose and the Snake, though mine didn't look nearly as nice as yours, mine had Duco Cement fingerprints all over them :D

I love your finish on the body, that is smooth!

heres a quick test fit!

I did a bit more detail painting on the engine, adding the "blue" part of the a/n fittings

IMGP4573.jpg

IMGP4569.jpg

Styrene Stylist what all parts are aftermarket on that engine and what parts are scratch built ? That is just fantastic work on that engine. I cant wait until Scott and the SMA crew put there engine detailing tutorial out so I can learn how to do the engine detailing as building race car models is about all I build and have in my stash. I have 83 Nascar models in my stash to put together as I was lucky enough to buy a lot of 51 for $300. Love the super detail work on this build my friend, keep up the photos of the build. Super work.

hooterville75 said:
Styrene Stylist what all parts are aftermarket on that engine and what parts are scratch built ? That is just fantastic work on that engine. I cant wait until Scott and the SMA crew put there engine detailing tutorial out so I can learn how to do the engine detailing as building race car models is about all I build and have in my stash. I have 83 Nascar models in my stash to put together as I was lucky enough to buy a lot of 51 for $300. Love the super detail work on this build my friend, keep up the photos of the build. Super work.

no aftermarket parts. other than some scrap PE i used for the blower linkage things.

plug wire is from radio shack, distributor is a plastic tube and sheet styrene with the holes drilled in it the braided hoses are mini blind cords, the a/n fittings are a piece of wire for the elbows and wire insulation for the "nuts" lol, I make them up and then spray them with alclad.

Absolutely awesome. Could you please shoot me a pm I would like to ask you a couple of questions in regards to the detailing of that engine. Thanks a ton Mate and keep up the super work. Love looking at photos of these type of builds.

Latest posts

Back