model flex paint question

noname

I tried my Badger Model Flex paints twice. I'm finding they are blotchy and uneven. I don't think it's the paint's fault but I wanted your opinions. I'm still using an old Paasche compressor. You know the type that is light blue? They were used for hobbies and for people with aesthma. There is no pressure regulator. Do you think it may be just too much pressure?

I painted a tank last year and it did the same thing. I was still able to do a decent job but it wasn't ideal to say the least. I think it needs to be sprayed in light coats for one. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

It is like the paint comes out wet. If I spray a small area, within the area there will be thin wet paint and then mixed in with that will be round blobs of thicker paint. I should have taken a pic., sorry. It could be that I need a moisture trap but I do okay with Tamiya paints so I'll assume that isn't the problem?

I need a good whipping. I got a nice Badger airbrush last year but still didn't get the fitting to hook it up to my bigger compressor. I'm sooo sad. :-[ I was thinking maybe my air pressure was too much. If I wanted to paint something I'd have to do thin coats and let them dry in between. It is like it is too wet coming out of the airgun but these paints are meant to be used that way I thought.

I'm not sure how to advise you without maybe seeing a pic and knowing a little more about your setup.

ModelFlex is a water based, alcohol/solvent free acrylic. Shake WELL before loading the gun. A correct application will look thick, but as the moisture content leaves and the polymers cure, it literally shrinks and an hour later you have a nice fine, tight coat. Like other similar paints it is a heavy bodied medium and as such it flows a little easier at slightly higher pressures (>20psi), though you can run into tip-dry when you do.

Thanks Sunsanvil, I did shake it but maybe not enough. I noticed it gets bubbly when shaken. Maybe it should be stirred too.

I did paint a tank with this paint before. This time I was painting a car in which you have to be a little more fussy.

Latest posts

Back