Mitsubishi Ki-46 III "Dinah" 1/48

That is one slick looking airplane. :)
Good update, just a little :)P more) masking and you're on to glorious painting. Are you planning to make her "factory fresh" or all chipped up and weathered?

Chipped up and weathered is the only way to go ;D.

Therein lies the cunundrum... I was thinking of a silver base coat and then chipping away once the topcoat is on, however I also want to preshade the panel lines...its got to be one or the other right ? other wise most of the chipping will be a combo of silver and black preshade which wouldnt look right...

I'm also thinking of painting the Hinomarus if I can make up some decent circular masks...

Very nice...Cool Japanese plane. Always a Fan of piloted planes so, Excellent work on painting
the crew figures. The camera on the observer is a nice touch.
Love all that canopy glass...affords a terrific view inside the plane. Bravo. Bill

On the shading issue:
Couldn't you paint the metal color, then do the 'colors,' then for the shading go over the colors again with a few drops of black or grey mixed in? then do the chipping?
I think i typed that right.
Cheers.

Another small update.

Decided to go with the preshading and maybe paint on some chips later on.. Picked this up from LHS the otherday,

Realy nice product ,does'nt require thinning and I like the dropper style bottle also comes in diffrent colors. Went on realy smooth but I made a big mistake when it came to cleaning my AB..... I used isopropyl and it turned the primer into a gluggy mess which clogged up my AB. Had to strip the whole thing down , might try water next time... ::)

2012-09-22074944_zpsf3190d49.jpg

A thin coat

2012-09-22075451_zpsbfef1c71.jpg

Terrible day today for painting, a bit of rain about, got a whole stack of water coming through my line , but I pressed on with the preshading I dont think it will affect the end result too much.

Went straight online afterwards and bought an in line water trap that attaches between the hose and AB.

2012-09-22091023_zpsaea8cb6a.jpg
2012-09-22085502_zps0120c131.jpg

would have realy liked to got some color on today but the moisture was too big an issue...anyways heading toward summer here now, so I'll soon be complaining about the paint drying to quick ... ;D

Thanks for looking

Looking good Rookie :) ,I prefer to do the chipping with an artist sliver pen ,you have a lot more control over it and if you are not happy simply wash it off ,once you are finished just seal it up with a matt coat ,you would be doing that anyway ;)

DSCF5042.jpg

Chris.

Thanks Chris, I think thats the way to go.

What kind of pen do you use ? You said you can wash off if you dont like it.... is it the kind that has a ball bearing and you shake up before use ?

I do my chipping kind of like Chris; after my main painting is done. I use a silver pencil or a 0 size brush and metallic paint. I keep a moist cotton swab handy to "erase" mistakes. I really make sure that the base coat is dry before starting. It might be tedious if you're planning some major chippage. For big areas I've been itching to try the salt chipping technique.

Jason

index.php

Thanks for sharing J, your pic is about the extent I want to go to on this build ( nice job BTW ).

Got some color down over the last coupla days.

Some pre shade on the props
2012-09-29110433.jpg

Used NATO brown, not sure if these props were wood...? very little reference material available for this bird
2012-09-30104233.jpg

Got the light grey on the underside, preshade comes through quite nicely

2012-09-29105553.jpg
2012-09-29105444.jpg

More masking YAY!!! ;)

2012-09-30104205.jpg

And finaly on to the top coat. Used Tamiya JN Green ( XF 11 ). Built it up lightly to keep the shaded panel lines evident then mixed a few drops of white and high lighted some of the upper surfaces, and just did some general streaking trying to get a faded look.
Jurys out as to wether I pulled it off or not..... Appreciate any feed back :)

2012-09-30180113.jpg
2012-09-30180137.jpg
2012-09-30180247.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Great job on the paint. The shade and panel fade look very good.

Nother small update, got the decals on last night and did a panel wash today.
I realy wanted to paint the Hinomarus but could'nt find an effective way to cut out the masks. I tried cutting around a 10c piece but wasnt happy with the result.
Sods law prevailed ....I found a circle cutter at a craft shop today that would have done the job perfectly, picked it up for the tool kit so am keen to give it a go next time. I did consider removing the decals but thought they came out ok.

2012-10-06171109.jpg
2012-10-06171005.jpg
2012-10-06170943.jpg

thanks for looking :)

The paint and decals look great. I really like the way the undersurfaces turned out. It will look very cool once you pull off the masking on the green house.

Thanks for the comments, yes J I have been itching to pull the masking off....patience grasshopper .. ;)

Some more progress shots, painted on some chips today, not sure if I like the result or not..... :-\

Anyway too late now !! Finaly got the masking off the conpies and attached the props, just the landing gear to now.

2012-10-07141319.jpg
2012-10-07141225.jpg
2012-10-07141202.jpg
2012-10-07141444.jpg

Comments and critisism welcome. One thing for sure I need to try and take some better photos.

Thanks for looking :)

;D ;D Really nice build and excellent details!! can't wait to see it finished!!
have fun !

Latest posts

Back