Merkava Mk.3 BAZ 1/35 by Meng

Thanks guys,.....I'd be right in saying if I build this on a desert base it would be a dio?

J

Thanks John & Scott,....just thinking of some upturned dirt by the mine roller

J

Ha,..OK

I replaced the lid of the other basket:
Baskets%203.jpg

There were about 4 pieces that made up the engine cover which didn't quite fit right?....I had to clamp them together whilst it set,...the hull was a wee bit warped
Side%20bits.jpg

Just set together:
Side.jpg
Rear.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Thanks guys,....the hull straightened out ok,....the vent part on one side doesn't look completely right to me though

Primed top:
primer.jpg

Everything proceeding ok,......until I try to create the non-slip surface on the top hull,.....like in these reference pics (one image is of a Mk2):
merkava_mkii_09_of_21.jpg
merkava_mk1_112_of_126.jpg
10535567906_39a8c66760_b.jpg

So I did a bit of research,......Chinchilla powder/sand:
6250.jpg

Its meant to be a very fine sand,...ideal for replicating the non-slip surface,.....so a bit of masking:
Pre-sand%203.jpg
Pre-sand%202.jpg
Pre-sand.jpg

Then I sprayed it with hairspray,.....and dusted it with chinchilla powder

Then FAIL :eek:

I ruined it

The powder just looked too big in scale & a complete mess

I had to wash, scrub, sand & toothbrush all the sand off it

No photos of my panic,....sorry

Straight build again,....I'd decided that I'll try and replicate the effect with paint

Next day I had a brainwave,.....what if I applied really fine sandpaper with pva glue?

sandpaper%202.jpg
sandpaper.jpg

.....if this doesn't work out right,...I know all I have to do is put a scalpel blade under the paper and peel it off,....then revert back to using a paint effect

Thanks for looking
John

I've done a bit more this evening:

I'm pretty happy with the way it's turned out....theres some bald bits but I'm not too worried...it adds a bit of character

non%20slip%203.jpg
non%20slip%202.jpg
non%20slip.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

Nice work with the sandpaper, that probably went a lot quicker than the route I took with my Mk.I.
10337728_10202973283086846_7768446649514842557_n.jpg

Ah brilliant Scrach,.....I thought I was going mad!!......brilliant job,....how did it turn out?

Why doesn't these kits come with this texture?

How did you do yours? What did you use for the texture?

J

I sifted a fine aquarium sand to get the finest of the fine and 'glued' it with Mr. Surfacer 500.
I'm fairly satisfied with the results. Keep your eyes open toward the end of the BSC. ;)

Looks like sandpaper did epic job. Very well done in my opinion. Also nice update. Good job man. ;)

Looks good from where Im standing dude ;D ,seriously tho ,nice work John . I do like these Meng kits ,couldnt praise them enough !!

Cant wait to see where you go with this one :)

Chris.

Thanks very much Cash....I wasn't so sure at first, but I think it adds to the look of the kit

Thanks Chris,.....I'm sure you're shocked that I've eventually got round to building this!

I've still got some more sandpaper to add to the main hull but I took some time off to do the turret (which will also need sandpaper ::))

The cannon needed a bit of filling to get rid of the seam-line,....I also had to remove some of the locator pins because they were forcing a step down the barrel

Turret.jpg

Non-slip%204.jpg

Test.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Latest posts

Back