Mercury 9

WOW!!! WOW!!! & WOW!!! This is going to be awesome build. Looking forward to seeing this diorama come together. The details you’re putting into this are amazingly small however they bring a big dimension to the overall subject. I can't wait to see the LED's lighting of the Mercury 9, towers and helicopters etc.

I have to say that you've got quite the build planned out ahead of you! Can't wait to see it. And hopefully, Mercury 9 doesn't have any impossible-to-reproduce textures when it comes time for seam filling.... like last year's Ghidra!

Keep us updated! :eek:

I always look forward to your builds. The amount of detail you plan to put into this is going to make it very interesting. Good luck!

I’ve seen this kit several Times in the Web shops and I was always intrigued on how it will look like when finished. So you will have me in the front row watching the build :)

Tanker52 said:
WOW!!! WOW!!! & WOW!!! This is going to be awesome build. Looking forward to seeing this diorama come together. The details you’re putting into this are amazingly small however they bring a big dimension to the overall subject. I can't wait to see the LED's lighting of the Mercury 9, towers and helicopters etc.

Thanks, I can't either. I didn't get to start on it tonight, I finished up the engine on the Super Semi Zinger instead....

NecronautDrummer said:
I have to say that you've got quite the build planned out ahead of you! Can't wait to see it. And hopefully, Mercury 9 doesn't have any impossible-to-reproduce textures when it comes time for seam filling.... like last year's Ghidra!

Keep us updated! :eek:

It shouldn't but I still haven't done a dry fit. That will have to wait until tomorrow. I will post pics when I can.

noc5659 said:
I always look forward to your builds. The amount of detail you plan to put into this is going to make it very interesting. Good luck!

Thanks!

Biskup said:
I’ve seen this kit several Times in the Web shops and I was always intrigued on how it will look like when finished. So you will have me in the front row watching the build :)

I have wanted to crack this one open since I got her. She is calling me......

But it will have to wait until tomorrow!

Holy Poo G!! :eek: I likey!!!! That is a ton of PE!! Getting comfy for this one!!! where's my popcorn? ::)

That will be a BEAUTIFUL diorama !

Won't it take a lot of space ? Even for a 1/350 scale... :D

TRM said:
Holy Poo G!! :eek: I likey!!!! That is a ton of PE!! Getting comfy for this one!!! where's my popcorn? ::)

Ya gonna need a lot, this thing will take quite a bit of time to finish up!

YOULI said:
That will be a BEAUTIFUL diorama !

Won't it take a lot of space ? Even for a 1/350 scale... :D

Yeah I fear it will. I haven't done the plan on that yet, I need to get a power supply for her before I can plan out the layout. I need one that will support the number of LED's I would like to use and the timing chips.

But for now here are a few photos.

The first one is of the command center:

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

It should go together very nice. No real seams to worry about.

Speaking of seams, the next few photos are of my check on the main booster:

IMG_0716.JPG

The secondary stage:

IMG_0718.JPG

And one of the one of the "wings" There are three of these on the kit

IMG_0717.JPG

You can see there are some bad seams there. I don't think it would be a kit I would like to build up otherwise. This is much better than most of kits I have done in the last year. So I am not too worried about it.

One of the booster shrouds:

IMG_0719.JPG

I want to put a dim orange LED there

I got started on the command center last night, cutting out the windows:

IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG

Nice G!! Liking the cut cuts!! Orange LED will look sweet!!! Crappy seam but you have it covered I am sure!!! ;)

how do you fix a seam ;D

this for me is defo one of the more chalenging dios so it will be fun to see john loose more hair ;D

Yes! This is a very exciting project!! With regard to the seams, at least the rocket doesn't have scales. Unless.....No.......You wouldn't......Would You?

spud said:
how do you fix a seam ;D

this for me is defo one of the more chalenging dios so it will be fun to see john loose more hair ;D

Not much hair left to lose, so maybe I should just get building and let the stresses thin out the rest of the weak ones!

fumblethumbs said:
Yes! This is a very exciting project!! With regard to the seams, at least the rocket doesn't have scales. Unless.....No.......You wouldn't......Would You?

No worries, no scales on this one But I have a few surprises in mind if I have the time to do it. I probably won't have the time, this one is going to keep me quite busy!

Biskup said:
Quite a big diorama you have there my friend :)

I am going to try and keep the size under control, might be hard though. I still haven't planed that part out.

Orange headers... Orange Led.... hmm I'm getting the picture lol

Update looks great, John!!!

It wouldn't be a Grendels build without vanquishing some seams. The kit does look great though, and you're grand plan looks, well... grand. ;D

Up to a very nice start!
Tell us the truth, buddy, You actually can't wait now to get to the seam-filling stage each time You start a new build, right? ;D
Anyway, I'm absolutely sure that You'll deal with these ones with no time.
Can't wait to see how big this dio is actualy going to be.

Whoa that's a freakin' ton of costume jewelry you've got there! Did I read that one package right? 1/350 scale figures? Ooofa. Diorama that large I'd be concerned Thunderpaws will turn it in to his new bed. 350 scale would make him what, 225' long cat?

Wow..I saw the vid the other day and was anxious to see how this one comes together. I admit that I have been eyeballin this on the shelf at the Local Hobby Shop. Nice start and can't wait to see some more progress.

Eastrock said:
Orange headers... Orange Led.... hmm I'm getting the picture lol

Update looks great, John!!!

You noticed this years theme! Maybe there is a prize in there somewhere....

Igard said:
It wouldn't be a Grendels build without vanquishing some seams. The kit does look great though, and you're grand plan looks, well... grand. ;D

I am not worried about these seams, should be easy to vanquish!

Solander said:
Up to a very nice start!
Tell us the truth, buddy, You actually can't wait now to get to the seam-filling stage each time You start a new build, right? ;D
Anyway, I'm absolutely sure that You'll deal with these ones with no time.
Can't wait to see how big this dio is actualy going to be.

I am for these, that will mean the lighting is done, and I can get closer to paint.

Glorfindel said:
Whoa that's a freakin' ton of costume jewelry you've got there! Did I read that one package right? 1/350 scale figures? Ooofa. Diorama that large I'd be concerned Thunderpaws will turn it in to his new bed. 350 scale would make him what, 225' long cat?

I did the math: 758 feet, a friggen huge cat!

He has been tempted to sleep on the Godzilla dio, and so far I have kept him off.... Neither Godzilla nor King Gidarah would survive that......

ScreamingSamuraiStudio said:
Wow..I saw the vid the other day and was anxious to see how this one comes together. I admit that I have been eyeballin this on the shelf at the Local Hobby Shop. Nice start and can't wait to see some more progress.

The only progress I have done at the moment is to cut out all the windows on the buildings. It is much harder than I though to cut out square windows....

Latest posts

Back