Master Grade Gundam

tetsujin

I think the earliest MGs are great stuff. I like that they're basically big "High Grades". I like that they're composed of pretty much just the parts I need to build the model. I like that they're not more complicated or expensive than they need to be. I like how, early on, the emphasis in MG was on the design rather than the play-value, and I really like what Okawara did with the Gundam and Zaku.

Anyway, I guess you could say this is how I celebrate 30 years of gunpla - or rather, 15 years of Master Grade... I want to do this kit justice. This is the very first Master Grade kit. By today's standards most folks would think of it as a "big High Grade" - but what that really means is that the kit doesn't have as many gimmicks as a recent Bandai kit would have - instead, it's all about how the kit looks when assembled.

20100801_MG_Gundam_preview.jpg
The Master Grade Gundam

This has been in the works for a while - though it was on hiatus for a bit after the basement flooded... I'm just about done with paint and ready to start the finishing work.

Jingles said:
Niiice! No school like the old school.

Will you be trying the 1/48th scale RX-78?

It'd be fun, and the 1:48th is my kind of kit (low on gimmicks, big on sculpt and detail) and I like that the G30th design incorporates some design elements from the MG v1.0 (lower legs and feet, mainly) - but the 1:48 is expensive, and shipping for it is expensive... I don't think it's worth it, for me. I'm more of a Zaku fan anyway. :)

Looks like a real decent build. You aren't done though are you? No inking at least?

I know what you mean about looks being far more important than gimmicks and extreme articulation. I needed a '78 for my collection and stressed for a while on which to get. I wanted to do the 2.0 but honestly, it's just butt ugly to me so I ordered up the Ver.Ka instead. Perfectly true to the original show? No. Articulation? Among the worst for a contemporary MG. Gorgeous looking mobile suit? Definitely!

sunsanvil said:
Looks like a real decent build. You aren't done though are you? No inking at least?

I just recently finished the basic painting - I reassembled it just so I'd have something to show my progress. The thing's disassembled again and I've been clear-coating it and starting the decals. I'm kind of concerned about all the little mistakes I've made along the way - the specs of debris that ended up in the paint, the places where little bits have chipped off, and the sanding scratches that I failed to correct prior to painting... And now I've made a couple mistakes with the markings, too. I can't let these issues delay the project forever, though - there's other things I want to work on and other things demanding my attention...

For the decals, I'm using the dry transfers that came with the kit (I've already managed to apply one of them crooked and damage another...) and decals from the "MG Gundam v2.0 Real-Type Color" decal set... Even though this project isn't done in "Real Type" colors, I'm enjoying the decal set quite a lot...

I know what you mean about looks being far more important than gimmicks and extreme articulation. I needed a '78 for my collection and stressed for a while on which to get. I wanted to do the 2.0 but honestly, it's just butt ugly to me so I ordered up the Ver.Ka instead. Perfectly true to the original show? No. Articulation? Among the worst for a contemporary MG. Gorgeous looking mobile suit? Definitely!

damn, man, I hear you about the v2.0. The one thing it has going for it in terms of looks is the so-called "retro look" - but really it doesn't even get that right. They made it look plain but they didn't really make it look like the original Gundam. Same deal with the Zaku v2.0... Which is a shame, really, because I like the original anime a lot, and would love to build some models that are really true to the original designs. That doesn't really mean they have to be featureless - removing detail is kind of a cheap approach to the "retro look" IMO, and misses the point... It's the shapes and proportions that are important, the relationships between the parts and the overall form. The v2.0 kits really don't get that. In some ways the v1.0's don't either, but they at least look cooler. :)

Ver.Ka is good stuff, though. I applaud your choice. :) It's not the look I usually want from the Gundam but it's a good look, and I think that kit's got its priorities straight.

I've actually been thinking about the Full Armor Gundam lately - it's based on the v2.0 but all the extra armor makes it look a lot nicer. It seems like kind of a waste to have the "full armor" implemented as a separate layer, given that I'll probably never want to take that top layer off. It's tempting to just build the Full Armor conversion myself on top of a v1.0. On the other hand, though - if I'm not going to take the "full armor" parts off, then does it even matter what kit is underneath them? If I like the v1.0 because of its exterior, does it really make sense to build one in a way that the exterior is all covered up? As much as I like the v1.0 it might be better to use the v.OYW version as a base - or just buy the MG F.A. Gundam kit that's based on the v2.0...

tetsujin said:
For the decals, I'm using the dry transfers that came with the kit (I've already managed to apply one of them crooked and damage another...)

A more sympathetic ear you will not find. After devastating results with the dry transfers on my Aile Strike (and the realization that half the cool stuff was on that ridiculous "sticker" sheet) I sort of made a promise to myself never to buy another MS if I couldn't also get the water slide decals for it. LOL. I'm finishing up my MkII Titans 2.0 for which only 1.0 decals were available...but the crest of the 2.0 rubdowns were so much cooler.....so I put that on the shield...sweat pouring down my face...praying it would be strait...which this one time it was! :)

Ver.Ka is good stuff, though. I applaud your choice. :) It's not the look I usually want from the Gundam but it's a good look, and I think that kit's got its priorities straight.

Like I said, I gave the choice more thought than would probably be considered healthy but I'm stoked and cant wait for Elm to get it in (water slide decals I had to order separately from an ebay auction 'cause they are sold out world over it seems). Only a couple of things I will entertain changing: mod the chest intake louvers a bit and somewhere, somehow, con someone out of the yellow shield cross from their kit which for whatever reason Ka omitted. LOL.

Re: Master Grade Gundam - finished!

It's done!

MG_Gundam_overview.jpg
MG Gundam complete

Up close I think it looks kind of dirty, a bit sloppy in places with issues with the wash and so on... Well, it's not the best I can do, but it's what I did do on this model, and I'm moving on. :) Still, not -too- shabby, I think...

Markings are mostly from the "Real Type Gundam" decal sheet, though I picked some from other decal sheets as well.

I really like the finished look! It is very challenging to do white "dirty" without it looking stupid but you've REALLY pulled it off.

The yellow and red lines are a little unconventional but otherwise quintessential RX-78. Well done.

Latest posts

Back