Mark IV female dirigible tug

thegreatpumpkin

New Member
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
18
Hi All,
Here's my latest build (actually at the time of this post it's done, but I haven't taken any pictures yet). It's a Mark IV (female) being used by the Royal Navy as dirigible tug! It was just SO weird that I had to build it. The kit is the one by Emhar. The tracks are from Model Cellar, which required some surgery to mount properly on the kit. The derrick is Evergreen strips of various sizes and configurations. Let me know what you think.
Regards,
Georg Eyerman

Here's the reference shot:
blimptug2.jpg

front.jpg

side1.jpg

rear.jpg

side2.jpg

bottom.jpg
 

Junkie

Active Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
8,830
Welcome George - Great screen name. That is COOL. Well built, unusual. Let's see some final pics.
 

thegreatpumpkin

New Member
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
18
Scott,
I just got the nickname back in April. I was at the AMPS Nationals in MD and bought one of Chris Mrosko's "Eat, Drink, Model" shirts (it happens to be orange). I happened to be wearing a pair of black jeans that day and about dozen people remarked that I looked like a pumpkin (I'm a kinda big guy), so the name stuck and it makes a fun handle.
Anyway, I hope to have some pics of the finished beast up this Friday (I love summer hours!). The next project should be kinda fun: a Brasilian P-47 in Italy, 1944.
Regards,
Georg
 

elend

New Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
447
What a weird device. Very nice build. How did you construct the stuff on the vehicle? I mean, by feeling or did you draw a scribble with measurements? And how did you glue them together?
 

thegreatpumpkin

New Member
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
18
Elend,
I eyeballed the dimensions using the length of the tank as a guide. I built it from the top down: I made the top "cap" first. Then, I cut the legs from Evergreen angle strip and secured them in modeling clay blobs. I glued on the cap and then bastard-cut all the other parts from there. I think it worked out rather well. My first attempt was too small (it was about 25% the size of this one), so I salvaged what I could and did it over.
Regards,
Georg
 

elend

New Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
447
Oh, so those are PS angles / profiles? I see. I was already wondering how that whole things holds together. Well, great nonetheless!
 

thegreatpumpkin

New Member
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
18
Hi Guys,
I got some time tonight to take some pictures of the finished model. The model was preshaded with black automotive primer. It was painted with Tamiya Khaki with greater and greater amounts of Tamiya buff added with my Iwata HP-BCS airbrush at about 40 psi. The paint was thinned to about 20% paint to 80% Tamiya thinner. A very light overall wash was added using burnt umber artist's oil paint. A pin wash was added to EVERY detail using sepia artist's oil. I used the "dot" technique for the rain streaks using a 000 brush. Finally, I mixed some pigment powders (for sale very cheaply in art supply stores) for the mud. The exposed metal on the tracks was simulated with pencil graphite. The model was then given a thin overall coating of dust using Vallejo "Stone" paint, thinned with windex.

cfront.jpg

cside1.jpg

crear.jpg

cside2.jpg

ctop.jpg

Let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Regards,
Georg
 

Chas

New Member
Joined
May 7, 2009
Messages
195
speedster said:
Hey George, Mate this Ol' Girl needs a Dio to live on ,Great build . Speed...
I agree, a great build in need of a diorama.

Well done mate.

Chas
 

thegreatpumpkin

New Member
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
18
Hi Guys,
One thing I forgot to mention was the decals. Made them up on my Alps using the pictures as a guide. I know this is a shameless plug, but I run a decal company called Decalcomaniacs! (http://www.decalcomaniacs.net) and I specialize in rare, off-beat and uncovered (by the big guys, anyway) subjects. I specialize in armor only, but will do custom work for reasonable prices. Have a great weekend.
Regards,
Georg
 

thegreatpumpkin

New Member
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
18
Sidney,
The Royal Navy used this thing as a tug for moving their dirigibles around. It was kind of a mobile mooring mast.
Regards,
Georg
 

thegreatpumpkin

New Member
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
18
Bobman,
It's not going to be 3 feet long. R-23 was about 530 ft long, that works out to about 15 feet in 1/35 scale! I'm just going to build the nose.
Regards,
Georg
 

Latest posts

Top