M4A1 Sherman newb build.

Morning guys, well i have been up since 5am so thought i'd keep busy.....heres what i've been up to so far today. ;)

As you can see i bit the bullet and finally tried my airbrush out, man was that nerve wracking. lol

Sherman model undercoat using airbrush.

IMG_1223.jpg

I musta spent at least 30 mins just trying to mix the paint and thinners to a consistancy 'of milk!', in the end i just went and used what i had and i think it's come out ok. I have to say i was well surprised at how direct the airbrush delivers the paint, i've only ever used aerosol paint cans before and was expecting paint all over the place but nope it's as fine as a pencil if you have the control.....what i newb i am. lol

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

I made a few mistakes which i didn't notice until i'd cleaned away my paint.......i forgot to lower the main gun and paint the top of the 'mantlet?!?!' and i also forgot the drive sprockets. But i did manage to remember the tracks on their sprues. :)

IMG_1226.jpg

OK now i'd like your advice about cleaning, i blew airbrush cleaner through after finishing then i sprayed foaming cleaner through and then warm water. I also removed the needle cap and nozzle cap and cleaned them thoroughly.......but i haven't removed and cleaned the needle yet! Is that necessary after every use as i understand the needles are easily damaged and i wanted to avoid the risk on my first use. :p

Next step i guess is olive drab. Question is which one? This set seems to have 3 olive drabs, 2 faded olive drabs and a khaki olive drab. lol As i'm going for a Normandy Sherman i was going to pick the darkest drab. ???

IMG_1227.jpg

How long is best to leave the coats to dry, this black layer is dry already to the touch......i'd like to get the olive drab on today as i got the airbrushing bug now. lol

Any advice about base coats is more than welcome, i have seen painting guides on youtube but it never hurts to ask for more tips. lol

TTFN Matt

fubar said:
Next step i guess is olive drab. Question is which one? This set seems to have 3 olive drabs, 2 faded olive drabs and a khaki olive drab. lol As i'm going for a Normandy Sherman i was going to pick the darkest drab. ???

Two things to consider.

1. Scale effect. You always want to paint an object lighter in color than it's actual color in 1:1 scale.

2. Weathering. Washes and filters and all forms of weathering will darken a vehicle. If you start off with very dark paint, it will become an extremely dark mush by the time you are done.

When I use the Lifecolor set I use the darkest shade first, a lighter shade to highlight the centers of panels and any areas between raised detail, and then the lightest shade moved in even tighter to the centers after that.

fubar said:
How long is best to leave the coats to dry, this black layer is dry already to the touch......i'd like to get the olive drab on today as i got the airbrushing bug now. lol

That depends on what that black primer is. If it's enamel based, you should really let it fully cure before going over it with acrylics. If Citadel is truly an acrylic, you're good to go.

As far as the lifecolor paint (or any acrylic for the most part), I apply the next coat once the first is dry enough to handle and have never had issues.

Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated. :)

The black was Lifecolor Matt Black and seemed dry within minutes of going on the model....could that be because i mixed it too thin? I dont wanna clog up the AB. ???

I'm gonna use the UA 219 olive drab as my base coat then try to do first stage highlights with UA 220 olive drab.....if i think i can manage it i may try to further highlight with UA 223 faded type 1. But that will depend on how accurate i am with the airbrush. Have to say so far the Lifecolor has been nice an easy to use.....prolly just jinxed myself. lol

TTFN Matt

Well i have the base coat on now and i tried my hand at the first stage highlights, have to say i'm not too sure it worked.

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

I know the pictures aren't the best, i only have an iPhone camera and not very good lighting. My first highlight dried out exactly the same colour despite it looking lighter in the pot, there is a very subtle change in colours but nothing great i guess, dunno if it was something i did wrong or what but it did at least give me a chance to practice fine control and weathering small areas.

Now i'm unsure whether to try an even lighter shade of drab or just finish her off varnish it then try some weathering? ???

TTFN Matt

Shermie is looking pretty good Fubar!!!! Nice shading!! Keep it rolling!!! ;D

Tried some second stage highlights, the camera is making them look lighter than they look to the naked eye, i hope i can blend them together with a wash or something similar.....or would weathering blend them together?

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

Thanks for looking.

TTFN Matt

FUBAR ,

Cool lookin' Shermie ! Excellant 1st build !

Welcome to the world of Airbrushing !! Th paint looks fantastic ! Th highlights are just about to PoP for ya' ! Once you start to massage th colors with weathering .. this lil' Bugger is gonna look Great !

Congrats !! - and this coming from a Panzer fan !!

CHEERS !!

Looking sweet man. Yeah, what the others said, once you start weathering it's gonna tone down big time. I'm learning that a harsh contrast at first is soon brought back and really adds to the final results.

Many thanks guys, i've got the details all painted and the tracks are on now. Basically shes done apart from decals which i've had a little prob with, i've asked in the tech forum about it, and i hope to varnish later today and then get some pics up.

Then the fun (weathering) begins. ;D

TTFN Matt

OK slight change of plans....after probs with water staining the model after the decals went on, maybe caused by a lack of varnish/klear or hard water or uncured paint or whatever..., i thought i'd show where she stands before i totally ruin her putting the rest of the decals on. ;D

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

Again sry for poor quality pics, really must get a decent camera and some good lights.....horrid UK winter is naff for taking pics. lol

Thanks for looking.

P.S. Will try to get a vid on youtube later if poss as they seem to look better than standard pics.

TTFN Matt

Looking sweet Matt! I wouldn't worry too much about the water staining...might even work to your benefit after the washes and filters go on! Still looks tops!!!! Keep up the great work!! ;)

Well i got her all decaled up and ready for weathering....

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

That may have to wait until the new year though. ;D

Thanks for looking.

TTFN Matt

That's it Matt!!! Looking the part brotha'!! Don't know if I could wait till after the new year!! :eek: Patience is a virtue!!! ;)

Latest posts

Back