M4A1 Sherman newb build.

Quick update.....tried the pigs for the first time. The effect i've been looking to recreate is one of a fairly 'fresh' tank thats been traveling a lot to the front in dry conditions so it's lower half will have got a fair amount of travel dust on it.

I applied the pigs dry to the model and then dusted them about with a small rounded brush, i haven't applied a fixer yet but if i do will it pull all the pigment into the corners and loose the dusty look? And if i were to use klear to seal this without using the fixer will it affect the pigment dust?

Anyways here's where i've got too so far, any thoughts on what i've done or how to improve it?

b89a0f67.jpg
9769aef3.jpg
9005fe73.jpg
a0be95cf.jpg
06f0e870.jpg

Thanks for looking

TTFN Matt

If you try to Klear it or any varnish it they will pretty much disappear altogether.

A fixer works better for thicker applications, it too will greatly reduce a dusting.

If you are happy with that as it is, simply put it away and don't touch it as the pigment will be fine in a display case but will come off in your hands.

Wow! Dude this is just awesome, if you can turn a tank around in this short amount of time with not that much modeling experience.... then I cant wait to see what your doing six months down the line! We'll be askin you the questions!! ;D

Matt, it looks fantastic buddy. I like how the dusting of pigments turned out, very nice.

BTW, I have the same Challenger kit in the stash ;D

thats pretty sweet fubar little clean for my tatste but for what you are after it hits it on teh head i think

Looking good fubar !

the washes really did come out well,

but i would recommend you build up a little more dirt and dust on the model.
sometimes i add a pigment to a small container (a bottle cap works ) and mix in a bit of static grass in with the pigment throw in a few drops of water. Once u get a slurry like mix, take an old brush and stiffle the mix on the running gear, tracks or fenders. It works very well for me when i want to add a bit of caked on mud to my armor.

hope this helps

cheers

shane

Thanks for the kind words guys, i think i'll call this one finished as it looks pretty much like what i had in my minds eye when i started. I got to try lots of new techniques i'd never tried before and build up my modelling knowledge base by about 200% lmao Next i wanna try the dreaded PE, mud, heavy weathering and maybe even a little damage.....watch out Cromwell. 8)

I'd like to thank Ken, spud, panzerace007, merseajohn, longlance67, wyoroy and everyone else for all their help, advice and encouragement.....cheers guys you been awesome one and all. ;D

Thanks for looking.

TTFN Matt

P.S. Does this thread need to be marked finished?

FUBAR ,

Rock-Solid !! Th only thing that would make it look better is if it was a German piece .... in due time ... in due time !! ;D

Awesome 1st. run Bro !! Heed Ken's advice. Leave it as is & it'll stay dusted up.

OrsonWellesClap.gif

Apart from congratulating you on an awesome build i will chip in with the obscure music.

"The Evil Turkeys" by Psysex as featured on their album "Expressions of Rage"

Tom

Many thanks guys.... ;D

@panzerace007 Can you recommend any nice PZ. III/IV models for a beginner like moi, i much prefer the early/mid war German Panzers. I've also been thinking of maybe a KV-2 or T-34 thats now being used my the Germans, i have seen a few old black and white photos that looked rather interesting! ;D

@Haggistom Thanks mate and thanks for the song title, thats been driving me mad since i heard it on that vid....was it also used in a game by any chance?

TTFN Matt

Absolutely cracking work on your Sherman fubar so many different layers of colour give your self s good pat on the back...

Is this going in a dio bud...???!

geegad said:
Absolutely cracking work on your Sherman fubar so many different layers of colour give your self s good pat on the back...

Is this going in a dio bud...???!

Thanks for the kind words mate, i would love to do a dio but not sure my skills are up to that at the moment....maybe in the future i may make a small dio up for this Sherman, nothing to grand, maybe just a road and bushes or something?

Oh i'm getting the urge to do a dio now......! ;D

TTFN Matt

FUBAR ,

Whoa Nelly .... I say get that Cromwell goin ... don't wanna get too many Irons in th fire.

But I will suggest that any of the Dragon Pz IV Smart Kits & th Pz III smart kits are pretty good. Of course th door is wide open if you wanna get AM parts for them - P.E. sets , workable Link tracks etc. Just depends on how far you wanna take it , but for th Beginner , I'd say any of the Smart Kits & use th kit supplied Magic tracks , just to get your feet wet & get a taste of th Dark Side !!

demotivational-posters-the-dark-side.jpg

Latest posts

Back