M4A1 Sherman newb build.

Got my new model bench all set up so keen to try out some weathering, no more perched on a table in the living room. 8)

5a3c5854.jpg

OK this may sound incredibley dumb but a wash is for the whole model right and grime effects are point use only right?

Also is says let the grime effects dry before feathering with a brush in thinners, how long do you leave em to dry? Surely too long and they dry and become permanent! ;D

TTFN Matt

lol. yes the Wash is for teh whole tank :eek: make sure you have a satin coat on first, the others put it on let it for 10-15mins moisen you brush but not too wet and just clean up teh excess.

Streaking grime effects Part 1/3
im sure if Ken abrams sees this he will be more informitive than i

Nice vid thx dude.....sure i heard that tune in a lift at the shops one time. lmao

I got a matt coat on, thats all i got unless i try some klear on her first?

TTFN Matt

needs to be a satin coat for teh wash. and there is 3 parts to that vid

Cant help it.....i'm sure the music in those vids is Murph & The Magitones from The Blues Brothers. rofl

Babababa......

Looking good Fubar,

really liking your sherman so far

great stuff

shane

OK i've put the dark brown 'wash' on, i covered the whole model but tried to put it on heavily around the details and panel lines....

88f445fe.jpg
98444ae3.jpg

My nice bright white decals dont look so virgin any more. lol

I think in future i'll save my AK white spirit for actual effects, its too expensive for just cleaning brushes and goes real quickly. ::)

OK you more experienced guys please tell me what i'm doing wrong and maybe what i'm doing right! I wanna learn from this. lol

Should i remove some of this wash or leave it to dry out properly?

How long should i leave this to dry before the rust and grime streaks?

Should i seal this before streaking (that sounds sooo wrong! 8) )?

TTFN Matt

lol it depends on how happy you are with the wash, let it sit for an how and look at it when its dry. then tomorrow seal it because when you go to do the streaks you will only wash off the wash with the white spirit. even after 24h, so basicly ya need to seal it after each step.. stucks but thats weathering in layers for ya

satin again ild say. ill be doing a wash on tigy soon my self and ill be putting an other satin cote on it tomorrow

What Spud said, great job on the tank mate. I also have that same matt spray varnish and allthough I rave about it...it isnt perfect. It can dry 'milky'/'misty white'/chalky' whatever if put on too thick in one spray. Also temperature can effect it, if I spray outside in the evening (uk) and come back inside to the warm the quick change in temp can effect it. Also dampness in the air.
I dont usually cover my whole model in the wash (actually never) but that doesnt mean its right or wrong its just how i do it, I prefer doing pin washes (just type in 'pin wash' on youtube). As far as the AK streaking grime goes, here's how I do it (again its just how I do it). Remember if your using enamel thinners to remove the grime/wash make sure there's a 'layer' of acrylic varnish inbetween (like spud said).
Millennium Falcon Fine Molds 1/144 Scale SMA Group Build
Again wicked job on the tank! And sorry if you know all this allready ::)

@merseajohn. Thanks for the vid link mate, that Falcon came out tops too. I'm getting the idea behind all this slowly but i am getting 'there' lol Yeah not sure what happened with that varnish, guess i sprayed too heavy on one of the coats!

The heavy wash did dry out a bit dark for my tastes, so removed quite a bit from the open areas and did a few pin washes instead.....just waiting now to see how they dry out. ;D

Fingers crossed. lol

TTFN Matt

Hmm well i know what i think but what do you guys think?

ef6fa16b.jpg
43f96294.jpg
c498e936.jpg

I'm tempted to try some rusting but i wanted this tank to represent a vehicle fresh 'in the fight' so to speak and i have no idea how fast a tank will start rusting once regular maintenance becomes less 'regular' due to combat conditions!

Time to try my pigs out i'm thinking, 30 mins enough time to let Klear dry?

TTFN Matt

i dont like the way that guy does it. it seems too messy.

Agreed.....one little question, most youtube vids say use your fixer first then apply your pigs to it, yet the Mig instructions are the other way around! Would it make any difference at all?

If you go to the middle/bottom of page four of my Darius Miniatures thread you can see I put my pigments on dry and flooded the fixer in after.

When applying them in a thinned, wash/filter like manner I will mix the pigments and fixer first and apply them together... but I do this very lightly and very subtle for soft effects.

When applying them into the running gear area I will either apply them dry and flood the fixer in, or flood the fixer first and drop the pigments on after. This way the pigments keep their in scale, rough texture and don't mix together into a paste (like in that video) which IMO... looks fake.

All these methods can work and achieve different results. It depends on what you are looking to accomplish with them.

Latest posts

Back