M4A1 Sherman newb build.

FUBAR ,

Yeah ! Lookin' good . I too wouldn't worry about th staining of th decals, it will enhance th weathering , but if you are gonna use Vallejo to weather , I would take note & perhaps use Distilled water so that it doesn't mess with th paint ??

All round good job !! Th highlights came out really well !!

Good Show Mate CHEERS !!

ERIK

DOH!......i knew there was something i'd forgot. :-[

It says X-7 for left taillight only, so what colours the right?

TTFN Matt

Well, in reality it's a dark, clear plastic with blackout covers and small slits to allow some light to show through. Depending on how close you were would affect how many slits you saw. If you saw four, you were too close, two just right, one, too far... this is how the driver behind you would judge his distance in a convoy at night.

Having said that, in this scale a black wash in those areas is enough to portray that dark lens as black paint is often too harsh. The upper left hand oval would be red plastic lens for the brake, the only red lens seen. Painting it with bright red paint at this scale is a bit harsh as well, thin some down and apply it like a wash to just hint at the red lens, a candy apple red oval will look a bit harsh.

Check out the attachment below and you'll see the real deal. Look at the top of the left light, looks like he may of had trouble with his decal as well... lol

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks guys......cor why'd you mention food!!!

Now i got the munchies. ;D

TTFN Matt

I think i might start building tanks and armor. Is this a good kit to buy.
What scale is it?
p.s Happy new year.

This is my first tank build and i have to say i'm very impressed with it, the whole kit just fell together without any probs at all. ;D It's a 1/48 scale tank so the whole thing is only about 140mm long, a real boon when you dont have much spare room like me. lol

TTFN Matt

These 1/48 kits are great they are well worth the money and farly well detailed, the 1/35 kits are farly bit but are miles ahead in parts.. Either way they are both good scales to work with

Actually i had another 1/48 scale Tamiya PZ IIIL coming from eBay, but seems they sold it already to someone else by mistake and i cant find it anywhere else to buy......seems all sold out, must either be popular or maybe they discontinued it for some reason! ???

Either way i'll be sure to buy more 1/48 scale.

TTFN Matt

ah that sucks matt, good to hear you will be doing more :)

spud said:
ah that sucks matt, good to hear you will be doing more :)

For sure mate, think i got the tank bug, i've really enjoyed making this Sherman and i'm already thinking of whats next......i fact these are my current choices from my ever growing stash. lol

IMG_1263.jpg

The Cromwell finally arrived and i have a resin AM hessian turret/stowage kit for that, the Challenger 2 looks like a beast of a kit and i love the look of it, but before i tackle that i may try the Abrams as that was only £4 on ebay because it's incomplete (missing all the clear parts and the mine plow).

TTFN Matt

ild like to get hold of one of them cromwells. the other 2 could be cool builds and cudos on grabing an abrams for 4 sheets

Small update.....gave the Shermie a coating of matt varnish today, it's touch dry now and i'm noticing that as its drying out the model is developing a dusty look, most noticable on the barrel and .50cal...

d251909b.jpg
0480eb35.jpg

Next up is a wash with AK dark brown and then maybe i'll have a crack with those pigs i got for the Cromwell!!

TTFN Matt

fubar said:
i'm noticing that as its drying out the model is developing a dusty look, most noticable on the barrel and .50cal...

Hmmmm.

What kind of matte varnish?

It almost sounds/looks like the varnish is drying a bit before hitting the surface. If this is the case, it's the little 'pebbles' of dry varnish that is giving it this frosted look.

There are a few things that it could be, one of them being temp/humidity another being too high an air pressure and even what and how you thinned it(if that applies).

It was this stuff...

ae01379f.jpg

I used it in the garden inside a small spary booth because at the moment i do my modelling in my living room and this stuff has lots of overspray, maybe thats what caused the drying out? I'm in the process of trying to convert a small room into a hobby room but it's slow going....so much rubbish to sort through. ::)

Next time i'll try the airbrush for varnishing.

TTFN Matt

Ken Abrams said:
fubar said:
i'm noticing that as its drying out the model is developing a dusty look, most noticable on the barrel and .50cal...

Hmmmm.

What kind of matte varnish?

It almost sounds/looks like the varnish is drying a bit before hitting the surface. If this is the case, it's the little 'pebbles' of dry varnish that is giving it this frosted look.

There are a few things that it could be, one of them being temp/humidity another being too high an air pressure and even what and how you thinned it(if that applies).

Fubar, nice work on your first armor build.

Ken, you mention temp and humidity, what range for both variables do you recommend when painting? I paint in the basement and the temp is an average 70 degrees and the humidity is around 65%.

fubar said:
It was this stuff...

Okay, well then most of what I said might have just gone out the window. ;D It might be just the nature of the droplet sizes coming from that spray nozzle and/or whatever they use in that product. (IE: like something to make it 'fast dry' etc.)

Tanker52 said:
Ken, you mention temp and humidity, what range for both variables do you recommend when painting? I paint in the basement and the temp is an average 70 degrees and the humidity is around 65%.

I don't know exact numbers, but what you have sounds fairly normal?

I just know if it's really hot and dry here I can get a similar effect under my lights, which are quite bright and only add to the heat factor. Where if it's a bit humid here, my lights have no effect at all.

Latest posts

Back