Lindberg model kits

J

Just Mike

I found a whole bunch of Lindberg model kits at a local discount retailer. My jaw dropped when I saw them all.

Video forthcoming. It says about 45 minutes to completion.

There's a couple in particular in the video. One's the zeppelin and the other is the blue warship or whatever for $30/ea. I looked them up. The $30 price tag is a nearly 60% markdown.

Yeah, Lindberg's Warehouse burnt down a while back, so now with no place to store the kits, they are flooding the market with these at much discounted prices.

Gotta love Mardens, the crew at the Houlton store thought I was nuts buying up the kits. Got to go back on Monday to see if they still have some!!

My storage space would be in serious trouble if that was in my town...... Unfortunately, nothing like that is near me. ( or fortunate for my wallet....)

Elm City Hobbies said:
Yeah, Lindberg's Warehouse burnt down a while back, so now with no place to store the kits, they are flooding the market with these at much discounted prices.

Gotta love Mardens, the crew at the Houlton store thought I was nuts buying up the kits. Got to go back on Monday to see if they still have some!!

Come on down to Waterville!

Just watched video again .... WEIRD-OH KITS!!!!!! ... AHHHHHH!!! I need to find a local retailer that has bought kits from the insurance sale!

@ Ace I have a handful of Lindberg's in my stash they vary from decent to bad ... the car kits have a gloss finish that is a pain to paint over without priming, parting lines and flash is not that great and some of parting lines don't match from one side to the other like the mold wasn't lined up properly. But sometimes they are OK detail isn't the greatest. They are in my opinion lower to middle quality model manufacture. But that is with the kits I have most of which are older and where cheap to begin with. Still workable models specially the HAWK Weird-Ohs because of the amount of custom work that goes into one of those anyway. ;D

Hope that answers your question.

Keep in mind that most Lindberg kits have been around for many, many years as well, and are not manufactured with the most modern technologies in mold making. The newest kits they would have done would have been the Crown Vic police cars, modern Dodge Charger (the yellow one) and more recently the Dodge Charger police cars.

On the flip side for their car kits at least....most if not all of their subjects are not done by anyone else...so you have to take the good with the bad. I have a couple of their car kits, the Dodge Charger is pretty nice, as is the '64 Plymouth Belvedere Stock Cars and the '64 Dodge drag and street cars.

However at the prices they are being offered on these sales...hard to go wrong.

Mardens had a bunch of these on sale at Xmas time a year or so ago, and I thought about keeping one of the Blue Devil Destroyers for myself...but couldn't find any aftermarket PE or barrels for it...so I passed.

ScarredKustoms said:
@ Ace I have a handful of Lindberg's in my stash they vary from decent to bad ... the car kits have a gloss finish that is a pain to paint over without priming, parting lines and flash is not that great and some of parting lines don't match from one side to the other like the mold wasn't lined up properly. But sometimes they are OK detail isn't the greatest. They are in my opinion lower to middle quality model manufacture. But that is with the kits I have most of which are older and where cheap to begin with. Still workable models specially the HAWK Weird-Ohs because of the amount of custom work that goes into one of those anyway. ;D

Hope that answers your question.

roger, questions answered.

I thought long and hard about getting a couple of the dinosaurs and the space shuttle (visible just before the customer with the cart).

I didn't know about their quality. Glad I checked here before I bought.

I just bought a Lindberg PT 17 Stearman on ebay...anyone ever build that plane ?? I wouldn't mind buying a bunch of those cheap kits myself.

scratchmod

scratchmod said:
I just bought a Lindberg PT 17 Stearman on ebay...anyone ever build that plane ?? I wouldn't mind buying a bunch of those cheap kits myself.

scratchmod

i have not, but its one of my favorite biplanes ever! i have to see it when you are finished.

Even though (in my opinion/experience) the quality of these kits isn't the best. I would still buy a whole bunch of them. Either to build or just for the parts. I have bought many a kit just for parts. ;D

The newest Lindberg model I have is Copy-written on the instruction sheet 2006, Scale 1/160 Sir Henry Morgan Pirate Ship ... I am planing on doing a video review of it within the next couple days. So anyone not familiar with Lindberg can view for themselves.

Hey ace I should be getting it in this week. It'll be for the SMA contest. I'm still searching for info on the PT 17 [Navy N2S] from Norman Ok. during WWII.

scratchmod

wish I could find some around here but no joy , I did stumble on a bit of info.

turns out the warehouse didn't actually burn down . they had a fire and 5 million worth of kits are considered "smoke damaged" even tho they are still sealed in the plastic.

Lindberg has some models no one else offers.I have the 1/48 douglas X-3 and the dry fit is really good, not much detail and raised rivets ect...

13aceofspades13 said:
i really do wonder what the quality of there models are like.

I have a ME-262 kit and wasn't overly impressed with the quality. Very, very thin plastic, flash in the worst possibly places, and almost no cockpit detail.

Latest posts

Back