1/43 scale model white metal

richardspall

I need help with a 1/43 model I am trying to repair. It is an MGTD sports car in white metal and dates from the 1950s or earlier. The radiator grille moulding has the headlights attached to each side. However one headlight is missing. Any ideas on how to make / replace missing headlight?

IMG_3253.jpeg

IMG_3254.jpeg

IMG_3271.jpeg

IMG_3269.jpeg

Welcome Aboard !

You'll need to make a mold and cast a new one .
Are you painting this model when complete , or does the piece need to be cast from zinc instead of resin ?

Welcome Aboard !

You'll need to make a mold and cast a new one .
Are you painting this model when complete , or does the piece need to be cast from zinc instead of resin ?
I am painting this model when complete so the material of the casting is not relevant. How do you go about making a mould and casting a new radiator? I’m completely new to this aspect of modelling!

You won't be able to make a direct copy of the whole headlight since you need a flipped version for the other side, but you could at least mold up the headlight by itself and maybe use some brass/copper rod for the part it sits on

Considering the headlight itself it is such a simple shape, I might use some Oyumaru to make a mold as you don't need anything that involved

it is a reusable mold making material that you let sit in near boiling hot water for a few minutes, then squish it around what you want to make a 2 part mold of. Then you can use Green Stuff or Milliput (or other 2 part epoxy type of material)

All fairly cheap stuff

the Oyumaru you can find on Amazon as well as other places. Same with milliput

You just need to cast one headlamp assembly -- then cut it apart from the mount so you can reverse the orientation since the inboard section of the mount is slightly different .
Cheap and easy to cast multiple parts until you get it right .

Since you need to do such a small amount you can use this stuff .
Follow this ink --- > https://www.britmodeller.com/forums...-airlock/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-3434547

You can use UV resin since it's such a small casting .
Or , regular epoxy resin .

Latest posts

Back