Lindberg model kits

The Ollie's Outlets here in the Richmond, VA area have a s**tload.
Everything from the "Blue Devil" destroyer to a miquelet pistol.

ron

why would a modeling company make a completely made up naval ship? Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Just Mike said:
why would a modeling company make a completely made up naval ship? Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Blue Devil Destroyer is just the name on the box, it is actually a Fletcher Class Destroyer, pretty big one too!

I picked up the Graf Zeppelin kit this week, not at the price you guys are finding these kits but pretty close. It is one huge box, over three feet in length.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Just Mike said:

Blue Devil Destroyer is just the name on the box, it is actually a Fletcher Class Destroyer, pretty big one too!

Now that makes sense.

Grendels, be sure to post pics or do a viddy!

scratchmod said:
I just bought a Lindberg PT 17 Stearman on ebay...anyone ever build that plane ?? I wouldn't mind buying a bunch of those cheap kits myself.

scratchmod

I have two of them in my stash; it's still the only game in town for the Kaydet/Stearman, in 1/48, as far as I know. I have an old boxing that includes a kit-within-a-kit to build a little electric motor and motorize the model (that was a popular gimmick back then), and an updated boxing of the kit in orange plastic as Randy Quaid's crop duster from "Independence Day".

The kit is generally accurate for outline, I think, but a little light on details. However, it's a scratchbuilder's dream. I have 7 or 8 of the Lindberg F11C Goshawk in my stash, too, for a flight deck display. But then, I am a nostalgia builder ;)

SOLD!

Very much appreciated Grendels!

Just watching "Hangars" on Modern Marvels the other day and it only lent to my interest in this kit. I'll be heading up on payday to grab one.

If anyone one else would like one for $30 ($40 shipped), I'd be happy to do so.

Post that you will ship them on the YouTube video thread, and I bet you have some offers from Europe. A few of them are interested in the kit, and I bet it cost a fortune over there. Just make sure you get shipping right. Also with such a large box, you will have to ship it in the model box. That is how mine came, but they wrapped it up with paper.

You are welcome for the video, I think I might start doing a few random out of box reviews in the future. It breaks up the monotony on my channel.

It probably wouldn't be too bad shipped within the US, but once you breach the US borders, the shipping price will go up exponentially as it is a huge box. That being said, if it can't be had in places, price might not be an object to some.

Grendals...you refered to the "nylon cable". They are actually fibre optic cables (not real FO cable I am sure, but still) to go with the lighting kit.

Hawk was also supposed to release a USS Los Angeles, which was also either the Graf Zep herself renamed, or a Graf Zep class airship. Back before the US and Nazi Germany got upset with each other!! LOL

Elm City Hobbies said:
It probably wouldn't be too bad shipped within the US, but once you breach the US borders, the shipping price will go up exponentially as it is a huge box. That being said, if it can't be had in places, price might not be an object to some.

Grendals...you refered to the "nylon cable". They are actually fibre optic cables (not real FO cable I am sure, but still) to go with the lighting kit.

Hawk was also supposed to release a USS Los Angeles, which was also either the Graf Zep herself renamed, or a Graf Zep class airship. Back before the US and Nazi Germany got upset with each other!! LOL

Scott, not one mention of the cable in the directions. I looked to make sure. The lighting kit pretty much covers the entire gondola. So unless she had position lights, there is no reason for the fiber. Also, it is not long enough to reach anywhere other than the front of the Zep. or to make one trip to the rear.

Now the directions talk about making struts to brace up the motors. Maybe that is what it is for?

Also, I have had some very reasonable shipping charges to and from Japan, so sending out the country may not be bad. I think it is just shipping to and from Canada that is expensive.

The box is large, but it isn't too heavy.

scratchmod said:
Hey ace I should be getting it in this week. It'll be for the SMA contest. I'm still searching for info on the PT 17 [Navy N2S] from Norman Ok. during WWII.

scratchmod

sorry for the late reply, sweet! cant wait to see what ya come up with, i really want to know the quality of these kits and what can be done with them, and if they make a PT-17 Stearman, i will probably add it to my "want to build" list. unless Tamiya, Hasagawa, Revell, already make this kit.

what scale is it?

The box is large, but it isn't too heavy.

Not so much the weight, but the size of the box, definitely would be oversized. Canada Post would force that into Expedited shipping going to the US or Intl just because of the size.

Been awhile since I have seen the inside of that kit, but I thought that the instructions showed using the fibre optic wire to light the gondola and not the LEDs directly. Probably wrong on that as it has probably been a year since I had one of those in at the shop.

The directions show the LED's lighting the gondola directly. Not one mention of the fiber. Also in the Past the two halves of the main body were vacumeformed. I think this is a big improvement!

Latest posts

Back