Late War Stug III Ausf G

Big-John

I have been wanting to build this partiular Stug for some time now. With Dragons new release of kit # 6593 It's now possible to build it straight out of the box, almost.

I just can't resist getting this one out and starting on it. It’s not gonna be a fast build as I really want to take my time on the paint steps and plan things out.

The inspiration of this build is a late war Stug III Ausf G that was captured and shipped to the US. It’s been in storage at Fort Knox and has recently been transferred to Fort Benning. It still has its original paint.

StuGIII-RightSideView-1_zps80801c09.jpg

StuGIII-LeftSideView-1_zps8c2ab77d.jpg

StuGIII-RightRearView-1_zps178a2ef6.jpg

StugG-1_zps1755d57c.jpg

After studding a good part of the night. I have come up with a conclusion of how I perceive this stug was painted.

Being this Stug was built on or after December of 1944, it would have been painted as follows. Primed in Red Oxide RAL 8012, on top of that patches of dunklegelb RAL 7028, olivefruen RAL 6003, and rotbraun RAL 8017 were sprayed in a soft edge pattern. Rotbraun being the most predominant color used. Especially from the fenders down. The only Red oxide I see exposed is where paint has been worn or chipped off.

Wow! That StuG III is in beautiful shape! I'm inspired to build one now, but it would probably be a lot crustier than the one shown here. Have fun!

BTW, what is a 'Smart Kit?' Extras like PE and resin??

pingvuiini said:
Wow! That StuG III is in beautiful shape! I'm inspired to build one now, but it would probably be a lot crustier than the one shown here. Have fun!

BTW, what is a 'Smart Kit?' Extras like PE and resin??

Yeah, PE and stuff, No resine though

Thanks, John

Awesome Big John :) Would this be a battle of the bulge trophy ? Those photo's are super cool 8)
Iam in luv with ww2 German armor all over again :p

wow that's an amazing find, that stug looks like its gone through a time warp from the 1940's and arrived in the USA... i hope they put a canopy over it to protect it from the direct sunlight, otherwise the paintwork will fade quickly.

And so it begins. Not much accomplished, but at least its an update. I started working on steps 1 and 2, step 1 is road wheels and I can only take so much of them at one time, LOL. So I started with parts from step 2 which deals with the torsion bars and suspension.

I also spent some time test fitting the upper hull components to make sure every thing will line up nice. I am experiencing some warping of parts on this one, so a little filler will be needed here and there, but nothing to complicated.

Stug-3_zps444a7a83.jpg

Stug-4_zps9a143fb6.jpg

Stug-5_zps02bf304f.jpg

Nice start. I had some really bad warping on my dragon Stug. Shame the rest of the kit was excellent.

JohnSimmons said:
Nice start. I had some really bad warping on my dragon Stug. Shame the rest of the kit was excellent.

Thanks mate! There's a little warping , but if I center the panels and use some filler at the side seams should do the trick.

bdr65 said:
Awesome Big John :) Would this be a battle of the bulge trophy ? Those photo's are super cool 8)
Iam in luv with ww2 German armor all over again :p

I belive this paticluar stug was built in 1945, so to late for the BoB

I built a stug awesome. Tank and good build
There's a couple of pics of mine in the youth builds sections :D

Not a lot of bench time lately, But I did manage to get most of the parts in step 1 cleaned up and assembled. A small section of the MK tracks were assembled to insure they would fit the drive sprockets. Now I’m going to skip forward and turn my attention to the interior so I can get it painted and the major hull components assembled.

Stug-7_zps27362823.jpg

Thanks John, The sides of the lower hull are warped on this one. I'm going to do some test fitting. I may have to skip the interior on this one and brace out the hull sides. We'll see after I do some test fitting.

Latest posts

Back