Lacquer thinner turned brownish

CY343491

Hi All,

I've bought 10 liters of hardware store type lacquer (cellulose) thinner like 5 years ago, whole batch is in a big tin can. Tin can was rusted over time, so that whole batch turned into transparent brownish color. Does it affect thinner's performance. By the way is there a way to clean thinner with or without chemical process?

You have lacquer thinner with suspended iron oxide in it ?
If that is the case , it's still a reactive solvent solution .
It could be filtered to remove the vast majority of solids but WHY ? . ( nutz ! )
Keep it for cleaning purposes but replace it for paint thinning use .

What paint(s) are you planning on thinning with this type of lacquer thinner and which brand is it ?

Hi Urumomo,
First of all thanks for reply,
Yes, there are iron oxide particles in solution, but very small particles which can't be filtered physically.( Particle size about like 0,1 micron or less by eye judgement)
I have 10 liters batch and i don't really want to waste it for cleaning purposes, is there a way to chemically clean iron oxide particles?

Also i use my lacquer thinner for all my lacquer paints especially Testors dullcote lacquer and glosscote lacquer. Thanks in advance

Magnet ?
Clean small amounts as you need it . Put a magnet into the bottom of a small container , the iron should precipitate out onto the magnet .

What brand is this lacquer thinner ? So we can all avoid ever buying any .

Last edited:
Hi urumomo,
Thanks for your interest, i appreciate it magnet is a good idea but the can material was like yellow, it may not be iron. By the way i will try the method. Many thanks

" the can material was like yellow, it may not be iron. "

Huh ?
So what brand is this lacquer thinner and what exactly is the issue with it ?

it has no brand, typical cheap hardware store thinner, i dont live in US or any european country so that if i tell, you most probably never heard of it

Latest posts

Back