Klingon Vor'cha Cruiser WIP

Gray or green? Did we ever get final confirmation on that? Regardless, green is the classic color of the Klingons, IMHO. I did mine in grays, and it looked...ummm... pretty good. I'm sure yours will look absolutely awesome!!

It's definately green, ND, but you know these Klingons might make some artistic changes based on house or whatever. The original colour scheme was a pale blue-ish green, and was later recoloured to look less saturated and added some brown panels and more detail.

This is a good shot of what I'm going for :-

Klingon-Vorcha-Class-Starship.jpg

If you look at the studio model, you can see that it's a bit bland. Either it's faded over the years, or they did some post production enhancements :-

gallery_5162_35_78772.jpg

@smusno, very true, sir. Very true.

Ok, so I added more light blue to the mix. I'm happy with it now, but I'm quite shocked about something...

Here she is under a daylight lamp...

2011-12-30_21-09-41_52.jpg

And here she is without the daylight lamp...

2011-12-30_21-04-43_955.jpg

What a difference! Granted, the camera might be making it a bit more severe, but It's very noticable with the naked eye also.

I thought the daylight lamp would be useful for taking photographs, but it seems a little too intense and, well, unnatural as strange as that may sound. :-\

Very useful for working under though.

My parents also received a well known brand of luxury chocolates for Xmas. The box, for which, might make a very nice base for my ship....

2011-12-30_21-06-11_151.jpg

I might just paint the outside of the box this time and try to give it a rock-like feel. Not sure yet...

Looking very nice so far dude, will he be hunting your Defiant class i wonder? ;D

I do have a question actually, your a BIG Star Trek fan....where would i be able to find out good research data for a Galor class by chance! ;)

P.S. Did you save us any of the choccies? 8)

TTFN Matt

Personally I like the daylight lamp photo better. :-\

It may be a bit bright but you can see the true white background nicely in that one, while the background in the second photo without the daylight lamp looks very much on the 'red' side of the color spectrum.

fubar said:
P.S. Did you save us any of the choccies? 8)

*frantically chews and licks fingers*

Sorry, mate. I finished them, like, ages ago... *munch munch*

I usually just do a google image search. Try 'Galor studio model'.

The problem with alot of studio models I've noticed, is that they sometimes look more faded (see the Vor'cha images I posted above) than the on-screen version.

You can also try trekcore.com. They have an archive of screenshots from every episode and movie.

@ScaleModelMadman, You're right about that white background and it has more detail. Can make out the panel lines much better. Just not sure about that paint colour. Wish there was a setting on the lamp to turn it down.

Well, it's a new thing. I'll practice with different lighting positions and, eventually, I'll get a new camera in the coming months. :)

this might be a stupid question..........

have you been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO precise with your masking, i can soo NO evidence of it AT ALL?

man i have a long way to go!

Haven't started masking yet. ;D

There will be some, but I like to hand brush a bit too.

My mate at work got a Uni degree in CGI and he says that studio models are a diff colour to the way they look in the films because of the way many films are made, something to do with studio lighting and computers......tbh it all went over my head but he sounded like he knew what he's talking about hes a VERY smart man. ;D

Happy New Years mate.....i'll forgive you for the choccies as you lead me to this fab place. ;)

TTFN Matt

She is getting near done! I like the daylight photo better. Like SMM said, the white in the background looks closer to white.

Have you tried adjusting the white balance on your camera? Most cameras come with automatic settings for different types of light bulbs.

Happy Hogmanay, everyone. :)

@fubar, I've always thought that they did some post-production work on the film to 'enhance' the appearance. Star Trek TNG, DS9 and Voyager were all edited on video tape (which is why it's so hard for them to make a full HD version), so perhaps this made their jobs easier to change the colours. Not sure about that, just a thought.

@Grendels. Yip, it'll need to wait for a couple of days, but I'm finally able to work on the base and finish off wiring the switch up.

I do like that daylight photo, but the green is just so intense. My camera is just a 5MP smartphone! It's a Motorola Atrix. Certainly good for a phone, but not really got any settings. I tried an android camera app that had some extra settings, but there were problems with it, so I'm sticking to the stock version.

The camera fund is growing. I keep checking ebay for any bargains, so who knows...

You could download the free paint.net and tone down that green on your computer. (As well as do a lot of other nice editing things to clean up and enhance photos)

The camera on your phone seems to take great photos, putting it in paint.net and tweaking it would be so much cheaper than buying a new camera at the moment. ;D

Happy New Year, everybody!

I actually use paint.net all the time to resize the images before I upload them. I use the GIMP as well. I like the GIMP as it's very similar to photoshop.

Don't know why I've never done that before. I guess I feel like it's cheating a bit? But, then if I'm only making the image look more natural...? Hmmmm...

Nah, it's probably just 'cos I'm lazy! ;D

I'll do that in future when I think the image is a bit wrong. Thanks, SMM! 8)

I still need an SLR for my (very amateur) astro photography. You can get an attachment for SLR cameras that fits to a telescope, basically turning it into your lens.

The aperture size on the phone camera is just too small to get an image through the telescope. It's a horrible feeling when you get a good image in your telescope, and you can't even capture it!

Enjoy your new years day, folks. :)

Do you mean like the telescope/camera setups they had on The Sky At Night the other day......they were awesome, some of those pictures were like images from the Hubble. :eek:
I got a book for my 40th thats a collection of pictures from the Hubble telescope, highly recommend it if you dont have it already........i can spend hours looking at that one book. ;D

TTFN Matt

Didn't see Sky at Night the other day, but I'll need a better telescope before I can take really good photos, but that's something I'd like to do too.

I've got several books, but not that one. My favourite is the Atlas of the Universe by Patrick Moore.

Thats another great book too, Patrick Moore should be a national treasure. lol

I just bought a camera mount for my telescope and want to give it a try. I probably will tomorrow night.

Good luck Grendels. If you get any nice snaps, be sure to post them for us.

I realy like the colour used there Igard and I to have a left over choc box that will make a good base! :-X

Latest posts

Back