Klingon Vor'cha Cruiser WIP

Thanks Sol. :)

I have a solution for the nav lights. I've got some clear green and clear orange paint. I'll just fill the nav lights with clear epoxy and paint over them. I think it'll work.

To be honest, I could have saved myself the trouble with the fibre optics if I'd thought of this earlier. I could've used the light from the white LEDs to light the nav lights and would mean 2 fewer LEDs on the circuit..... ::)

My fellow warriors, today is a glorius day for the empire! We have conquered the pitiful light-leak and vanquised the seams! Weaklings that they were! Qa'pla!

The nav lights are looking far superior now that Commander Grendel's plan to increase their size has been executed.

I also administered some clear paints inside the holes to intensify the colours, which were pathetically insignificant thanks to the sub-standard attempts at attaching the fibre optical lights. P'tach!

2011-12-20_23-39-49_216.jpg

Qa'pla!

2011-12-21_00-20-34_918.jpg

2011-12-21_00-20-47_484.jpg

2011-12-21_00-23-14_774.jpg

;D

Thanks guys, in my bravado earlier, I forgot to mention that I've still to put the clear epoxy in for the nav lights.

After that, it's onto masking and painting! Could it be done in time for xmas? Well no, since I don't yet have a stand for it. :p

Quaralane said:
Looks ready to mask and paint to me

Hey, Q. Sorry for being confusing. I meant the whole build isn't going to be finished in time for christmas. Should get the painting started soon. :D

Problem is, it's hard to find an affordable display case that's a good size for the model. Maybe I could try and find something other than an acrylic one?

fubar said:
Use a fish tank :p

LOL! Again, I apologise for being confusing. I'm not putting the model inside a display case, I'm using the case as a base.

If you look at some of my previous builds, you'll see that I use an acrylic display case as a base for the model and also to house the batteries and the switch. It's also a good place to write a description of the ship. So finding one that's the correct size and doesn't cost too much, is a bit of an epic hunt. :)

There are plastic picture frames that are essentially a clear acrylic box about 1" thick with a cardboard insert that you take out and trap your picture between the plastic and cardboard. Look for one of those.

Also check local sources - AC Moore, Michaels, Target, WalMart, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, Big Lots...even dollar stores sometimes have them.

I'll have a look on my local high street. I live in Scotland, so alot of those stores you listed aren't around here. You guys certainly have alot of options on the other side of the pond. :)

Thanks, Jamaican and Gags. I'm liking the lighting too.

Merry xmas, folks.

Iain. :)

Thanks Mike and Sol. :)

I'll be starting painting today, but still not got a base for it!

Primered...

2011-12-26_16-17-33_404.jpg

And first coat. Used Tamiya flat green, light blue and sky grey. I'm not sure if I'll go over it again. My airbrush was clogging on me, so I'll have to examine it thoroughly.

This is pretty much what I was going for. Should darken up after weathering. If I do go over it again tomorrow, I'll add more light blue.

2011-12-30_02-17-19_501.jpg

Latest posts

Back