Italeri 1/72 H04S-3 "Horse" Royal Canadian Navy

J14

Hey Everybody,

Stumbled upon this GB last night and decided to join....albeit a bit late I see.

I plan to build this kit in the markings of the Royal Canadian Navy. (Love that the Gov. has brought that name back!)

I havn't built an aircraft kit in about 20 years (I am 37 now) so I am looking forward to this build. I started out building AC kits when I was a kid but moved over to armour where I have been ever since. (British/Allied WW2 and some modern.) So my AC building skills are pretty weak!

I have had this kit kicking around for a couple years and this GB will be a perfect reason to actually build it. I am not going to get all fussed about details. I seem to remember reading that this kit isn't exactly the one used by the RCN. The tail rotor slopes down where the one used by the RCN was straight. I just want to open the box and build it like when I was a kid and not worry about getting everything perfect.

The only AM I will use will be a decal set by CanMilAir to augment the kit supplied decal sheet.

Here is a pic of the kit. Wish me luck and look for an update very soon. Will hopefully get started tonight after my boys go to bed. Cheers Jeff

0021.jpg

Hi Jeff ,

Looks like a nice little build to break yourself in with . Cant wait to see how you get on :)

Chris.

Alright so I don't have a whole lot of progress yet but I did manage to get a bit done last night. I promised myself that I would just build this thing and not get too worried (distracted) about making it perfect.

However I went online last night and found a few build reviews (why do I do this?) that showed all the things that need to be tweaked on it. However I am sticking to my original plans and other then a few minor things its going to pretty much be a OOB build.

Sort of the "if it looks like a duck" school of thought you might say.

Did alot of cleaning up and dry fitting, got the tail boom glued and did a little painting of the interior etc. Its a pretty simple little kit and I was pretty impressed with the detail and how well the tail halves went together.

So here is it so far.

untitled.jpg

Jeff

noname said:
This is pretty cool because it isn't often seen...and it's Canadian! ;D

Yeah it should look pretty good when its done. Nice and colourful anyways. These choppers from the 50's are unique looking.

schweinhund227 said:
I have the belcher decals for it I think?
If you need them?

8)

Norm.

Hi Norm, Thanks for the offer. I have a set from CanMilAir that I am going to use. Between the kit ones and them I should be okay. Cheers!

noname said:
This is pretty cool because it isn't often seen...and it's Canadian! ;D

I'm not the CRTC, but I'll tell you Canadian content is a good thing. :)
Really, I thing this is going to be a very cool looking build J14, unique.

Hey we could gather the few CANUCK here and get a RCAF/RCN planes or Egg beaters GB one of these days...? The Cold war era had some pretty wicked Airframes to chose from.... and the paint schemes were High Vis ! something to pounder ??

Looking forward to your next update on this.... I always wanted to do a RCN chopper but... never got to it...

schweinhund227 said:
Hey we could gather the few CANUCK here and get a RCAF/RCN planes or Egg beaters GB one of these days...? The Cold war era had some pretty wicked Airframes to chose from.... and the paint schemes were High Vis ! something to pounder ??

I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread, but good idea. We should keep that in mind for after next years contest as a post contest unwind. MMM...me thinks a 1972 Tiger meet Starfighter :)

JMac said:
schweinhund227 said:

I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread, but good idea. We should keep that in mind for after next years contest as a post contest unwind. MMM...me thinks a 1972 Tiger meet Starfighter :)

Hi-jack away! That would be a great idea. I have a Monogram Voodoo I would love to do.

Could do it in recognition of the return of the Royal Canadian Air Force and Royal Canadian Navy names.

The chopper is looking good so far, always liked sikorsky's design's! As far as a Canadian build I was thinking a P-51 or dare I say an f-86?

Were you able to work on her during the weekend?

1111027F.jpg

It's like sitting 20 feet in the air while flying this thing off a Deck.... Wow!

Looking great! And you know I'm down for an all-Canadian group build! I've been itching to build me a CF-104.

Latest posts

Back